Author Topic: I am a grumpy old man IRL  (Read 2826 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
I am a grumpy old man IRL
« on: January 03, 2014, 11:12:38 PM »
I was thinking about the different run-ins I have had in the last 3-4 weeks alone and I think this is an accurate self-assessment.

Today I managed to get to the shops. I say managed because I have had a lousy stomach bug and was at the shop was to get some bare essentials.
At each large supermarket in Australia they have one or two 15 items or less (next to the self service), 2 aisles of self service and the rest of the aisles are for people who do not wish to self service but are for more than 15 items. Naturally the 15 items is the quickest aisle.
It is not a recent phenomena, it has been this way for at least 2-3 years (since they introduced the self service). Before then, the 15 items aisle was at the very end and occasionally there would be two at the very end.
It happens occasionally. Some dickhead will decide that rules do not apply to them and will use the 15 items or less queue and feign that they "did not know"/"did not see". It is bullshit and we all know it. The perpetrator will then be reproached ever so nicely by the person at the till, the people in line will kind of sigh and roll their eyes in disgust, as the person at the till will be railroaded into servicing this person, with far more items than they ought to have rather than risk the ire of a customer, hold up the customers behind the perpetrator or perhaps risk a complaint of rudeness made against them.
The perpetrator knows this and gets their way. It is unfair.
Not today.
Two yuppie ladies in front of me both with approx 40-50 items at a guess, in their trolley. One runs off whilst the other waits to get some top shelf blue cheese.
One reads a magazine while she waits (before putting it back) and the other plays with her phone. I stand behind unwell and fuming.
The blue cheese lady starts loading up items.
I start counting them quietly.
At item seven, the young Asian girl behind the tip ever so sweetly says "I am sorry this is for 15 items or less"
The woman instantly looks, at the 15 item or less sign, and does a fake surprise "Oh, Oh I did not see it. Well now that we are here...."
I laughed loud in derision "HAHA. WHAT? REALLY?"
She was completely caught off guard by this and said to both me and the Asian Girl.
"Well what am I supposed to do now?"
I covered that one for her "Probably turn around and park in another line?"
She was now a little more than embarrassed and not being saved by anyone started packing up whilst announcing to everyone within earshot "That is so rude!"
"No, that is fair" I commented.
The walk of shame had to come past me. I nodded at them and smiled. She said "Thank you..."
"No problem"
"....for being so rude"
"My pleasure"
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: I am a grumpy old man IRL
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:38:30 AM »
:LOL:...and I am a bitchy old woman.
The store here has a habit of opening 3 of the 20 items or less, 1 regular checkout with a trainee, and the self-serve. 

I'm taking the one with the shortest line so I can get the hell out of the store before the Ativan wears off and I start beating people with a loaf of French bread. I try to abide by the numbers but sometimes I don't, if they don't like it, they can get one of the cashiers standing around with a finger up their ass to open another checkout. Every single time I've used the self-serve something fucks up...usually produce.

I try my best to shop in the "off" hours (early morning, late night), most of the time it works and the place is deserted, sometimes it doesn't. If someone comes up behind me with a couple of items in their hands I tell them to get in front of me. Usually by the time I hit the checkout my cash is in hand, and the crap is on the belt and in the cart as fast as I can move, I will bag if need be. I just want OUT. :GA:   

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 12:45:59 AM »
:LOL:...and I am a bitchy old woman.
The store here has a habit of opening 3 of the 20 items or less, 1 regular checkout with a trainee, and the self-serve. 

I'm taking the one with the shortest line so I can get the hell out of the store before the Ativan wears off and I start beating people with a loaf of French bread. I try to abide by the numbers but sometimes I don't, if they don't like it, they can get one of the cashiers standing around with a finger up their ass to open another checkout. Every single time I've used the self-serve something fucks up...usually produce.

I try my best to shop in the "off" hours (early morning, late night), most of the time it works and the place is deserted, sometimes it doesn't. If someone comes up behind me with a couple of items in their hands I tell them to get in front of me. Usually by the time I hit the checkout my cash is in hand, and the crap is on the belt and in the cart as fast as I can move, I will bag if need be. I just want OUT. :GA:

Now THAT would be an interesting exchange

Me: HAHA, WHAT? REALLY?
YOU: Yeah what of it!
Me: No go for your life. If you can't count over 15 and want to waste the time of everyone else, Go for it.
YOU : Fuck you!
Me: Class
YOU : Is that you, Al?
Me: Oh, IQ? Hey I'm so sorry mate. Getting the shits for no reason.

:asthing:
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 03:50:52 AM »
Tend to be in a zone and don't even notice other people when shopping, but inevitably someone will snap me out of it, wanting to talk to me; not sure why this is so. Sometimes it's a grumpy old man talking to me, and then I don't mind so much. :) Old men are good, and grumpy is simply their nature.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:53:51 AM by Jack »

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 05:07:16 AM »
I hate any store with people in it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 05:22:35 AM »
Supermarkets are grounds for discontent.  I hate them because of the speed at which people move.  Like stoned snails.  Clogging up aisles, with their chit chat.  Parking trolley's strategically so you have to U Turn or bash them out the way.  (yes I know there is an 'excuse me' option but that dries up after I said it a few times)

One of my local supermarkets doesn't have a '15 items or less' but has a 'basket only' aisle instead.  Now you wouldn't believe how many items you can pile into those baskets, and of course it doesn't say anywhere that you can only have one.  :laugh:

I had a similar moan to someone about the 15 items or less,  they were counting eight bottles of milk as one.  Felt quite righteous until they pointed out that the cashier still only has to scan one bottle then  x8.     ::)     You can't win.   
blah blah blah

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 05:23:57 AM »
Supermarkets are punishment for your sins.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 05:30:36 AM »
Supermarkets  - they do win.   :(
blah blah blah

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 05:32:04 AM »
One must avoid them at all costs.

- Albert Einstein

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 05:38:35 AM »
If only I were better organised I could order online.  The times I have tried to do this I forget stuff and end up going anyway.

They win.
blah blah blah

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 05:42:07 AM »
This year, I ordered most of my Xmas gifts online. :arrr:

- Albert Einstein

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 05:53:24 AM »
How dare you be so rude to the rude people, Al.  :hahaha:
:gopher:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 06:15:01 AM »

I have been a grumpy old man most of my adult life and do not think that I am inclined to stop now

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 06:17:16 AM »

I have been a grumpy old man most of my adult life and do not think that I am inclined to stop now

I really liked the part of the story where she tried to play dumb. I can't stand it when women do that. Oh my, blonde moment, I'm in the wrong line? Yeah, GTFO.  :thumbup:
:gopher:

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 08:02:14 AM »

I really liked the part of the story where she tried to play dumb. I can't stand it when women do that. Oh my, blonde moment, I'm in the wrong line? Yeah, GTFO.  :thumbup:

Haha thanks

The 15 items or less just suddenly appear in her line of sight without even making the pre tense to look around for it and the "Oh well now we are here..." was a mere formality. She wanted to steamroll the process.