Educational

Author Topic: I am cooking a turkey  (Read 628 times)

hiroshima

I am cooking a turkey
« on: December 10, 2006, 02:44:34 PM »
I soaked it in brine for one hour, and am roasting it breast down, on a layer of salt, the top coated with a layer of salt, for 4-5 hours at 325F.  For those unfamiliar with salt-roasting meat, the salt creates a hardened layer during cooking which seals in the juices and prevents the meat from drying out.  When done, the salt crust is broken off and discarded.

I will soon have a lot of meat on my hands!

Once it cools I'll separate the meat from the bones, and tomorrow I'll make soup from the bones.

Does anyone have a transporter that is compatible with mine?  If so, I'll beam some turkey over to you. :)

I have gone from being 90% vegan, to 70% vegan, btw.  I'm also trying to go sugar-free.

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
Re: I am cooking a turkey
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 02:47:07 PM »
How do you calculate your percentage of veganness?
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

hiroshima

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 03:01:19 PM »
I'm estimating, based on what I've eaten in recent days.  I'm not breastfeeding anymore :'( so I've had to alter how I eat... I no longer get 500 free calories to manufacture into milk.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 03:19:12 PM »
Shima knows what to do with a turkey!

We eat a lot of turkey, at our house. It's the best meat value, by far and it's considered quite heathful. My favorite, however is not as highly recommended except for flavor. I love smoked turkey! Smoked turkey makes wierd soup, though.

Too bad my transporter is down.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Litigious

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 03:22:18 PM »
We don't eat much turkey in Sweden, except for the smoked slices on sandwiches. Chicken is by far bird nr 1 here. To Christmas we eat whole ham, cooked and roasted with mustard in the oven.

Scrapheap

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 03:25:19 PM »
.......I'm also trying to go sugar-free.

Why are you trying the sugar free thing?? Is it callories?? (carbs in general) or some other reason??

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 03:26:34 PM »
I eat lots of turkey mince; it's very cheap compared to other meats.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 04:02:14 PM »
I just had the brilliant idea to artifically manufacture triptophan and sell it as a sleep aid.  I looked it up.

It's called Tryptan.

It does more than help sleep, it helps SAD and depressino.

I must stop researching because I can see this becoming an unhealthy perseveration.  It's too interesting.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 04:44:43 PM »
I just had the brilliant idea to artifically manufacture triptophan and sell it as a sleep aid.  I looked it up.

It's called Tryptan.

It does more than help sleep, it helps SAD and depressino.

I must stop researching because I can see this becoming an unhealthy perseveration.  It's too interesting.

It's annoying when people steal your business ideas before you've had them, isn't it?

purposefulinsanity

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 04:59:19 PM »
I eat lots of turkey mince; it's very cheap compared to other meats.

I prefer turkey mince too, imo it tastes much nicer than beef mince and I can't stand lamb.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 05:25:56 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm turkey.

I only ever have it at Christmas, and damn, thats a good feed.

hiroshima

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 06:35:44 PM »
.......I'm also trying to go sugar-free.

Why are you trying the sugar free thing?? Is it callories?? (carbs in general) or some other reason??

I am worried about my teeth... with every baby a woman has, her teeth get worse.  And I've had five!

I also have joint pain in my wrist and I've heard being sugar free can help that.

The turkey came out great, btw!

hiroshima

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 06:36:23 PM »
Shima knows what to do with a turkey!

We eat a lot of turkey, at our house. It's the best meat value, by far and it's considered quite heathful. My favorite, however is not as highly recommended except for flavor. I love smoked turkey! Smoked turkey makes wierd soup, though.

Too bad my transporter is down.

Yup, I think most people don't realize you need to soak poultry in brine... I should have soaked it overnight.

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 06:42:58 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm turkey.

I only ever have it at Christmas, and damn, thats a good feed.

I eat about 350g a day.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 07:56:14 PM »
Shima knows what to do with a turkey!.

Yup, I think most people don't realize you need to soak poultry in brine... I should have soaked it overnight.

I learned that from my grandmother. They raised their own. Whenever I can, I buy poultry direct from the farmers, though. It saves them and me money and it's fresher than you can get in any store.

Brining is important for the fact that it coagulates some of the excess blood, supposedly, which conserves moisture during cooking. I soak all poultry and foul in brine.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 07:57:57 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.