Educational

Author Topic: Postnatal Abortion?  (Read 6171 times)

Litigious

Re: Postnatal Abortion?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 07:15:12 AM »
I'm a little hypocritical. I wouldn't like autistic children to be aborted, postnatal or in utero, but I think it would be better for children with really gross retardation, such as Down's, never to be born. Please don't hate me. I wouldn't like to live, if I had Down's myself.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2006, 07:29:08 AM »
I'm a little hypocritical. I wouldn't like autistic children to be aborted, postnatal or in utero, but I think it would be better for children with really gross retardation, such as Down's, never to be born. Please don't hate me. I wouldn't like to live, if I had Down's myself.

interesting.

i am sure that people could find you examples of severly retarded people who overcame the odds, but, i think that mostly, life would be a severe challenge.

i will have to think about my position on this further.  maybe hear a few arguments.
still, my gut instinct says no.  i value life.  and i believe that things happen for a reason, and i welcome challenges.  but this is just me. others have different priorities.
Misunderstood.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 07:45:41 AM »
When I was concieved they knew I was XXY, the doctors told them XXY's tended to be tall, skinny, large breasts, round shaped, and slightly mentally retarded.  (This info was 20 years ago)

I have told my father this, and I am highly amused by it, that based on what they told my parents, I would have probably opted to abort me.
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 07:52:27 AM »
in reguards to abortion in general:

i am against them in my own situation.  i believe in a person taking responsibility for their actions.
in other peoples situations, i believe that they should have the right to choose for themselves.  so i will not sit in judgement over them.

I have the same view.

Litigious

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 07:53:24 AM »
I have often considered and threatened people that I really love with commiting suicide and behaved very self-destructive on occasions, and I'm a pretty high functioning aspie, with very few "outer" signs of the syndrome. Children who are very low functioning should be even more of a burden to themselves and their relatives. This is a horrible thing to say, but I think it's true. 

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2006, 07:54:36 AM »

i am against them in my own situation.  i believe in a person taking responsibility for their actions.
in other peoples situations, i believe that they should have the right to choose for themselves.  so i will not sit in judgement over them.

I have the same view.

now, if we can convince you that feminism for equity is ok, but feminism to change who people are is not, then you and i could be like two asPeas in a pod.
Misunderstood.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2006, 07:55:49 AM »

I think it's sad how many people abort their children because they have Down's. It really isn't that bad of a disorder, and not all of them are that retarded. I've met people with Down's who are really sweet, good people, and they lived lives that were pretty normal for the most part. If I had Down's I would want to live.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2006, 07:57:58 AM »

I have the same view.

now, if we can convince you that feminism for equity is ok, but feminism to change who people are is not, then you and i could be like two asPeas in a pod.

Meh. You don't seem to understand my views. I'm not a feminist.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2006, 07:58:26 AM »

I think it's sad how many people abort their children because they have Down's. It really isn't that bad of a disorder, and not all of them are that retarded. I've met people with Down's who are really sweet, good people, and they lived lives that were pretty normal for the most part. If I had Down's I would want to live.

on that note:
it seems to me that kids with downs syndrome are always smiling and seem very happy.  perhaps they are immune to the everyday bullshit that life has to offer.
Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2006, 07:59:41 AM »

I have the same view.

really, i was just very proud of the two asPeas in a pod thingie and i just wanted to work it into conversation.

pretty cool huh?
Misunderstood.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2006, 08:04:03 AM »

on that note:
it seems to me that kids with downs syndrome are always smiling and seem very happy.  perhaps they are immune to the everyday bullshit that life has to offer.

That's a common misconception/stereotype, according to an article I read recently about couples who wanted to adopt children with Down's. However, I myself have only met one person with Down's who was moody. She was a sweet person though.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2006, 08:04:52 AM »

I have the same view.

really, i was just very proud of the two asPeas in a pod thingie and i just wanted to work it into conversation.

pretty cool huh?

heh, okay

Litigious

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2006, 08:07:37 AM »
That's a common misconception/stereotype, according to an article I read recently about couples who wanted to adopt children with Down's. However, I myself have only met one person with Down's who was moody. She was a sweet person though.

That with children with Down's being happy is just stinking political correctness, like saying that poor blacks and latinos aren't more criminal than middle class white people. That won't solve the problem, just shoving it under the carpet.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2006, 08:08:47 AM »
True.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2006, 08:18:28 AM »

on that note:
it seems to me that kids with downs syndrome are always smiling and seem very happy.  perhaps they are immune to the everyday bullshit that life has to offer.

it seems to me was the key phrase.

i have encountered several downs kids, her or there.

they have always seemed to be very happy.  with those guge shit eating grins. genuine.
Misunderstood.