Author Topic: They were almost raped, guys.  (Read 3905 times)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: They were almost raped, guys.
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2014, 06:54:47 PM »
Its similar to challenging religion.

it IS religion, if not a belief in a deity, it is definitely "faith"

faith is impossible to argue with, and most politics and ideologies are grounded in faith.

Yes, yes they are. Its very irritating. Republicans, democrats, feminists, black panthers, radical muslims, Christians, etc.

They're all a serious problem.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2014, 11:53:27 PM »
Read the the darkest possible side of "They were almost raped" in the paper few days ago.
An article starting with the story about an Iraqi-Kurdistan, girl, victim of a gang rape. But, it isn't a real rape, her hymen is still intact, so her family is happy.

Or take the recent case in India, where a girl sought help at a police station only to be raped there. Almost raped, I suppose the uniformed people might say. >:(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2014, 11:55:02 PM »
Read the the darkest possible side of "They were almost raped" in the paper few days ago.
An article starting with the story about an Iraqi-Kurdistan, girl, victim of a gang rape. But, it isn't a real rape, her hymen is still intact, so her family is happy.

At least you're concerned with actual crimes, rather than men having urinals to piss in or something.

:lol1:

I was in a big store couple of weeks ago. There was a mother complaining that she had to go home, because her toddler was not allowed to use the toilet in that store.
That made me think of my mother, shopping with a grandchild, buying kids clothes. Kid had to pee, it was not allowed. My mum answered that she was a client, with another kid in the fitting room, and that she had no time getting home or to a restaurant in time, so that she would then let the kid just pee where it stood. Amazing how fast the toilet was available after that.

Oh, I didn't explain why that was funny, did I? I was having a conversation with this radical feminist once. She brought up that feminism was still necessary because men have neato urinals to piss in whereas women only have toilets and stalls.

I tried to explain that it was less expensive and took less effort to install a urinal, but she didn't believe me. So I pulled out the laptop and actually googled the common price of the materials that would be used to install urinals and full stalls.

She told me to go fuck myself and left. Lol. I've encountered a lot of people like this, and it really seems as if when confronted with facts they react angrily with denials and accusations of having a small penis or being a mysoginist. Its similar to challenging religion.

For the life of me, I can't understand why they'd want to hurt their cause like that.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2014, 12:06:12 AM »
Sorry, I don't buy that the same errors would be done all over the globe. Also, I place a little more faith in the average statistician than you do. Making sure that comparable raw data is used is Statistics 101.

Haha, did not see this thread come up for a while and forgot about it.

You know what information is shown on my tax return that goes to the Tax Department? My gross salary and my tax and my net salary.
There is nothing in deductions or whatever really.

So the place that the statisticians will pull data from will be the Australian Bureau of Statistics and they in tern will get most of their details in respect to the Gross salary off the Australia Taxation Office.

Now, again, IF they are getting my Gross salary as informed by my tax return and my tax and Net salary and they did theta for each of my colleagues, then I would get more than most of the others and the guys on average would get higher than the girls.

Based on this small instance, and based on precisely the information that would be made available to the statisticians, what kind of information would be available for them to collate? If ATO did not record more than the gross tax and net salary then what would the statisticians assess of my gross salary towards voluntary overtime or commission? If you say none, then I say simply, then I would be shown as earning higher than any of the ladies in my workplace and NOT because of bias but because I earn more commission and more overtime.

If similar situations happen with other men in the office - and I know there are others. If similar is in other offices and workplaces around Australia where lack of available information is given to contextualise difference, then a statistician can be good, bad or indifferent and still get the same result with it being out in the same way.

You still place very little faith in statisticians.

Just did some quick googling about the methods. This paper includes some info. I haven't read it all, I just glanced through it to see if they explain their methods, which is what I was after.

There are other papers like it but I don't have the time, right now.

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #169 on: January 22, 2014, 12:08:15 AM »

faith is impossible to argue with, and most politics and ideologies are grounded in faith.

Yes, yes they are. Its very irritating. Republicans, democrats, feminists, black panthers, radical muslims, Christians, etc.

Atheists, too. Basically everyone who claims to know what the problem is. :P

- Albert Einstein

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #170 on: January 22, 2014, 07:46:47 AM »

Atheists, too. Basically everyone who claims to know what the problem is. :P

I don't believe in any kind of god, but i'm not like the guys you're thinking of, O-man. You're thinking of these guys, right?

Yes. They are assholes. Basically they turn atheism itself into religion. I don't really understand myself what the point of that is, but ehh.  :apondering:
I will never stop...

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #171 on: January 22, 2014, 05:14:04 PM »
I was having a conversation with this radical feminist once. She brought up that feminism was still necessary because men have neato urinals to piss in whereas women only have toilets and stalls.
She wanted a urinal to pee in?

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2014, 08:30:16 PM »
I was having a conversation with this radical feminist once. She brought up that feminism was still necessary because men have neato urinals to piss in whereas women only have toilets and stalls.

YES. What the fuck, right? :laugh:
I will never stop...

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »

YES. What the fuck, right? :laugh:

Indeed. :laugh:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2014, 09:48:37 PM »
She could go to China.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2014, 09:00:21 AM »
Sorry, I don't buy that the same errors would be done all over the globe. Also, I place a little more faith in the average statistician than you do. Making sure that comparable raw data is used is Statistics 101.

You know what information is shown on my tax return that goes to the Tax Department? My gross salary and my tax and my net salary.

So the place that the statisticians will pull data from will be the Australian Bureau of Statistics and they in tern will get most of their details in respect to the Gross salary off the Australia Taxation Office.

Now, again, IF they are getting my Gross salary as informed by my tax return and my tax and Net salary and they did theta for each of my colleagues, then I would get more than most of the others and the guys on average would get higher than the girls.

Based on this small instance, and based on precisely the information that would be made available to the statisticians, what kind of information would be available for them to collate? If ATO did not record more than the gross tax and net salary then what would the statisticians assess of my gross salary towards voluntary overtime or commission? If you say none, then I say simply, then I would be shown as earning higher than any of the ladies in my workplace and NOT because of bias but because I earn more commission and more overtime.

If similar situations happen with other men in the office - and I know there are others. If similar is in other offices and workplaces around Australia where lack of available information is given to contextualise difference, then a statistician can be good, bad or indifferent and still get the same result with it being out in the same way.

Just did some quick googling about the methods. This paper includes some info. I haven't read it all, I just glanced through it to see if they explain their methods, which is what I was after.

I read this. I am not impressed. At all.

"Broadly, the research finds that gender differences in life-time working patterns account for 36% of the pay gap. Rigidities in the labour market, including those that concentrate women into particular occupations and mean that they are more likely to work in smaller and non-unionised firms, account for a further 18% of the pay gap. 38% is due to direct discrimination and differences in the labour market motivations and preferences of women as compared with men. The remaining 8% is due to women's lesser educational attainment in the past."

The reason I am not impressed is that, for all it's statistics we only have to look at "those that concentrate women into particular occupations" and "direct discrimination and differences in the labour market motivations and preferences of women as compared with men".

Not only does this tell me that women are making choices of where to work (job choice and industry choice) BUT when they do this "impartial" study uses the loaded terms like "those that concentrate women". What the fuck does concentrate women mean? The employers herd women into a specific job or bar them from working in an industry? That what it looks like BUT I really think it is more about women making choices to work in specific fields that show high female to male ratio. Hence the "concentration". The terminology is loaded and that automatically gets me to say....hang on, if they are loading the terms like this then is this really impartial?

The answer of course is...."No"

It could foreseeable have been re-written thus

"Broadly, the research finds that gender differences in life-time working patterns (That is men tend to stay in continuous employment throughout their lives and reap the benefits for doing so) account for 36% of the pay gap. Rigidities in the labour market, including rigidities that have women seek out specific employment and mean that they are more likely to work in smaller and non-unionised firms rather than making a choice to work in larger and unionised firms, account for a further 18% of the pay gap. 38% is due to direct discrimination and and choices women make in respect to the type of work women prefer which often does not pay as much as work that men are prepared to do. The remaining 8% is due to women's lesser educational attainment in the past."

I would say that this basically holds true to what I said from get go, barring of course the holdover of the 8% of women with worse education an therefore notable to apply for jobs needing a higher educational pre-requisite. (I am surprised that there is still a holdover at all).

Not impressed and the pear basically reiterated these points and in the same kind of loading of terms and sought to justify its bias.

But again Odeon, this basically says EXACTLY what I have been saying. If women make the choice about what type of job, how flexible the job, how many hours and what industry and this informs a lower pay........it is NOT discrimination or Patriarchy or anything of the sort. It is personal choice.

Accountability. You see why I place so little faith in Statisticians, now?

BTW this is not trying to say no women make choices that are that of their male counterparts, were that the case there would be a much greater difference.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:02:49 AM by Al Swearengen »
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #176 on: January 23, 2014, 11:18:12 AM »
She could go to China.

For real. Again, I tried to explain to her that toilets and stalls were actually more expensive and time consuming to install and maintain, but there was some kind of short circuit there. She refused to accept that and insisted that urinals were some kind of neato super high end patriarchy pisspots and women were being cheated out of them.

The weird thing is, she wasn't a dumbass or anything. We were in the same class, and she was a good student who seemed to be a rational minded sort. I guess the thing that bothers me the most about feminism these days is that it seems to have this weird ass effect on girls. I don't understand it, and it looks to me like an OBSTACLE to equality.
I will never stop...

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #177 on: January 23, 2014, 11:30:37 AM »

"Broadly, the research finds that gender differences in life-time working patterns account for 36% of the pay gap. Rigidities in the labour market, including those that concentrate women into particular occupations and mean that they are more likely to work in smaller and non-unionised firms, account for a further 18% of the pay gap. 38% is due to direct discrimination and differences in the labour market motivations and preferences of women as compared with men. The remaining 8% is due to women's lesser educational attainment in the past."

The reason I am not impressed is that, for all it's statistics we only have to look at "those that concentrate women into particular occupations" and "direct discrimination and differences in the labour market motivations and preferences of women as compared with men".

Not only does this tell me that women are making choices of where to work (job choice and industry choice) BUT when they do this "impartial" study uses the loaded terms like "those that concentrate women". What the fuck does concentrate women mean? The employers herd women into a specific job or bar them from working in an industry? That what it looks like BUT I really think it is more about women making choices to work in specific fields that show high female to male ratio. Hence the "concentration". The terminology is loaded and that automatically gets me to say....hang on, if they are loading the terms like this then is this really impartial?

"Broadly, the research finds that gender differences in life-time working patterns (That is men tend to stay in continuous employment throughout their lives and reap the benefits for doing so) account for 36% of the pay gap. Rigidities in the labour market, including rigidities that have women seek out specific employment and mean that they are more likely to work in smaller and non-unionised firms rather than making a choice to work in larger and unionised firms, account for a further 18% of the pay gap. 38% is due to direct discrimination and and choices women make in respect to the type of work women prefer which often does not pay as much as work that men are prepared to do. The remaining 8% is due to women's lesser educational attainment in the past."

I would say that this basically holds true to what I said from get go, barring of course the holdover of the 8% of women with worse education an therefore notable to apply for jobs needing a higher educational pre-requisite. (I am surprised that there is still a holdover at all).

Not impressed and the pear basically reiterated these points and in the same kind of loading of terms and sought to justify its bias.

But again Odeon, this basically says EXACTLY what I have been saying. If women make the choice about what type of job, how flexible the job, how many hours and what industry and this informs a lower pay........it is NOT discrimination or Patriarchy or anything of the sort. It is personal choice.

BTW this is not trying to say no women make choices that are that of their male counterparts, were that the case there would be a much greater difference.

You reinterpret and rewrite, and then say it says exactly what you've been saying?

Well, it should, considering what you did.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #178 on: January 23, 2014, 11:54:57 AM »

You reinterpret and rewrite, and then say it says exactly what you've been saying?

Well, it should, considering what you did.

No I didn't.

I "interpreted" Not re-interpreted.

I tried to express that the terms were loaded. I made a bit of an effort to express the "those that concentrate women" is a loaded expression in this apparent attempt at impartial research. Again, how do men "concentrate" women? It sounds to me like (yes my "interpretation") women are making choices to take up jobs in certain industries in greater numbers than men and so this concentrates women in these industries.

It loads the terms to imply that women are forced into these industries (that would seem to be lower paying industries) NOT personal choice. Women DO have choice though. There is no "women on that side men on this side" segregation. You HAVE to allow for the fact that women CAN make informed choice. IF they make a choice to start a job at a smaller firm or a non-unionsed firm, or get a part time position instead of a full time position or if the job is in an industry with a lower base rate of pay compared to other industries......that is entirely their choice and decision.
I would argue the same for a man who decided to do that.
Yet there is a suggestion still that this is unfair.

I re-wrote that piece with the same loaded statements but instead of being biased for women, I made it biased against women.

I could have written it complete devoid of bias but I liked the contrast because it highlights the bias better.

I did not have to reword it to agree with the very things that I said (loaded phrasing or not). It was basically confirming women's choice played a large part and that 8% that I had not counted on for lack of educational qualification as a holdover from days long past for older female employees.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #179 on: January 23, 2014, 12:00:24 PM »
Protected classes are bullshit no matter how trendy they are right now. It doesn't matter how good it makes one feel to take part in this sort of behavior, one knows. They know deep down in the back of their mind that their logic is flawed, but they follow the herd because they feel safer or more "acceptable" that way.

Protected classes are bullshit. Classes are bullshit. Its time to grow out of this, folks. Put that toy away, and surrender it to the whole of humanity. Do you really need -that- kind of crap in your identity? What does it do for you? What does it really produce? (other than free shit or special treatment for portions of us, who should be ashamed of it)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:43:48 PM by RageBeoulve »
I will never stop...