Educational

Author Topic: Terrorism  (Read 2691 times)

Anonymous

Terrorism
« on: December 09, 2006, 04:27:28 AM »
I don't hate terrorists.  Do you?

I don't consider them exceptionally stupid, or ignorant, and I certainly don't consider them cowardly.

I rather consider them victims of a poorly constructed society, and bad luck.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Terrorism
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 05:53:20 AM »
Terrorist/guerilla = freedom fighter/liberator depending on which side you are on ... Hero or criminal. One man's garbage  is another man's treasure and so forth. Some issues ARE nearly black and white.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 05:55:37 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 06:44:52 AM »
but by the grace of god, there go i.

i was not raised in that mindset.  but i have established my own mindset about right and wro0ng.  i think that the rich elite are wrong.  the major corporations.  i wouldn't mind doing somewthing about them.

now, i suspect that other countries view america as the major corporations, the rich elite.  i do not blame them for wanting to get even with their percieved oppressors.
Misunderstood.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 07:30:38 AM »
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Scrapheap

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 12:03:21 PM »
I would'nt mind these fucktards so much if they didn't want to establish a Theocracy. They may have some legitimate gripes with America and western civilization, but more often then not they don't address any real concerns. They just bitch about how we don't dress our women head to toe or something totaly fucking retarded like that.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 04:05:21 PM »
I have mixed feelings about how they treat their women, and how seriously they take religion.  On a gut level, I too hate theocracy, I think that if you don't base your decisions on empirical evidence, rather than "directives" from a force you cannot see, hear, or test, you have no idea when theyre going to decide that one of the directives is to just kill you randomly.  I also dislike how they treat their women because it seems unfair, but fairness is just my value, it might not be theirs.  I don't feel it is my business to tell them how to be happy; to tell them how to live.
I am about as close to a 100% of a moral relativist as you can get, and although my gut has some problems with how they run their lives, and while I might ask them to consider alternatives, I would not be in favor of forcing or coercing them to change. 
And as always, these are simply my worthless opinions.
Reverence is fine, Sanctity is silly.
We're all fucked, it helps to remember that.

Offline Mr Smith

• lardass
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 05:51:10 PM »
Someone made a funny video about the twin towers.

I'm going to hell.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Bake Sale Coordinator of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 06:00:41 PM »
I hate Al Q***da, but it's not just because of September 11. It's because of people they hurt in their OWN country, too, and because they don't value human life.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 06:26:37 PM »
Al q..que? souds like Al kyda, is a terrorist organization, not a country, right?  And do you really hate them because they don't value human life?  Being a suicide bomber is an incredible sacrifice, I would assume they value their suicide bombers lives to give them such high praise.

And I was thinking up funny situations relevant to the twin towers the morning of september 11th, so I think I am pretty far ahead of you in the line to hell.

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 06:35:04 PM »
Al q..que? souds like Al kyda, is a terrorist organization, not a country, right?  And do you really hate them because they don't value human life?  Being a suicide bomber is an incredible sacrifice, I would assume they value their suicide bombers lives to give them such high praise.

And I was thinking up funny situations relevant to the twin towers the morning of september 11th, so I think I am pretty far ahead of you in the line to hell.

My point was they hurt the people in their own countries who aren't terrorists and may want to live. The suicide bombers kill other people besides themselves, so I hate them for that. They make their countries a horrible, scary place to be for the people who live there.

And yeah, joking about 9/11 is kinda fucked up, because you're disrespecting those who lost their loved ones. Maybe in Michigan you don't know that many people who lost loved ones, but living less than an hour from Manhattan, there are a lot of people around me who lost loved ones.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 06:42:56 PM »
I don't feel I am disrespecting them.  Joking about someones death is not necessarily disrespecting them.

And the funny wasn't really a joke.  It was a morbid humor situation.  A few hours after they fell there were rumors going around about people who "Surfed the rubble down" and everyone with any sense knew that was bullshit, but I had this mental image of Wiley E. Coyote surfing the rubble down to the song, "Wipe out", and the funny part was his expression slowly going from "Oh shit!" to "...Wait a minute... i think i'm getting the hang of this.." And then he slams into the ground with a loud smack.... Apparently surfing rubble at the speed of free falling is still moving towards the ground at the speed of free falling.

Does it really matter that they hurt people in their own country?  America hurts people all the time.  And you may say that those are sacrifices that must be made to preserve our way of life.  But the suicide bombers would say the exact same thing.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 06:45:33 PM by Nomaken »

Litigious

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 06:44:41 PM »
All governments hurt their own people, one way or the other.

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 07:44:23 PM »
So few people can create such havoc. >:D
Guardian of the Empire

Offline QuirkyCarla

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 07:48:42 PM »
I don't feel I am disrespecting them.  Joking about someones death is not necessarily disrespecting them.

And the funny wasn't really a joke.  It was a morbid humor situation.  A few hours after they fell there were rumors going around about people who "Surfed the rubble down" and everyone with any sense knew that was bullshit, but I had this mental image of Wiley E. Coyote surfing the rubble down to the song, "Wipe out", and the funny part was his expression slowly going from "Oh shit!" to "...Wait a minute... i think i'm getting the hang of this.." And then he slams into the ground with a loud smack.... Apparently surfing rubble at the speed of free falling is still moving towards the ground at the speed of free falling.

Does it really matter that they hurt people in their own country?  America hurts people all the time.  And you may say that those are sacrifices that must be made to preserve our way of life.  But the suicide bombers would say the exact same thing.

I still think it's fucked up to make jokes about it. And it does matter to me that they hurt people in their country. We don't have suicide bombers harming people all the time, and we have more freedoms than them. I think they deserve to be safe just like we do.

Offline Nomaken

• The Anti-Fuck
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006, 08:06:18 PM »
Doesn't it matter more that they kill at all than that they kill themselves?  We are killing people too.  Why is it less evil for us to kill other people than ourselves?

On another matter, freedom is subjective.  We have a lot of freedoms they don't have, and they have some freedoms we don't have.  But what if they don't want our freedoms, they only want their freedoms, how is it our right to imprison them into our definition of freedom?

They have a freedom we don't have.  They have the freedom to own their women almost like property.  We can't do that here.  We have a freedom they don't have, our women are free to be treated as equal, they don't have that freedom over there.  It is just two sides of the same coin. 

And as for joking about it, personally, I consider joking about it to be more respectful than to make it taboo.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 08:26:21 PM by Nomaken »