Educational

Author Topic: An article about American abortion laws in the Guardian  (Read 327 times)

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
An article about American abortion laws in the Guardian
« on: April 15, 2014, 04:31:57 PM »
The secret anti-abortion law that's sweeping America

Pro-lifers can't reverse Roe v Wade. So they're shutting down clinics with red tape and a smile. Don't believe the lie

Quote from: Erika L Sánchez
Last November, a new law went into effect in Texas: abortion clinics would now be required to have an agreement with a local hospital so that patients needing treatment could be transferred.

Now that sounds reasonable, doesn't it?

Perhaps, until you consider the fact that it caused one-third of health centers to stop providing abortions. Women in the Rio Grande Valley now have to travel hundreds of miles (if they're lucky enough to have the transportation and resources) to get access to a safe, legal abortion.

The Texas legislature has become an extreme example of new restrictions on abortion continuing to sweep statehouses in 2014, and the particulars buried by all those Wendy Davis profiles showcase a slick new tactic of the pro-life movement: a requirement for admitting privileges. At first glance, that kind of rule appears designed to protect women's health – to have an abortion provider make an arrangement with a local hospital in case of an emergency seems harmless, even helpful.

But this law, like so many others in the works, also imposes all kinds of obstacles to providers and clinics actually gaining these privileges. The end result: abortion clinics are shutting down all across the country. And because the (often Evangelical) bill-crafting language is so deceptively reasonable and so effective at defusing public outrage, we might not even have noticed that our constitutional right to safe and legal abortions is being steadily eroded.

Under the notorious House Bill 2, qualified Texas physicians may be denied privileges for reasons that have nothing to do with their credentials. Some hospitals, for instance, require providers to admit a certain number of patients each year. But because abortion is extremely safe and rarely warrants a referral to a hospital, meeting these quotas may be difficult – if not downright impossible. Sometimes hospitals may be religiously affiliated and will therefore deny abortion providers admitting privileges applications, or doctors may be required to live within a certain distance from a hospital.

Dr Sherwood Lynn, an abortion provider in San Antonio, told me that hospitals won't even send him the paperwork required to apply for privileges, and give no explanation for doing so. Hospitals have the power to dictate the kind of healthcare available to women in their communities, and they are using that power arbitrarily.

The admitting-privileges workaround is growing across the country, and at an especially alarming rate in neighboring states around Texas. Oklahoma's SB 1848, for example, could shut down two of three abortion providers in the state; in Louisiana, HB 388 could close three of the five. This May, a case challenging an Alabama admitting privileges law will go to trial.

The trend began with a 2012 Mississippi law that would have closed all abortion clinics in the state. Physicians performing abortions in Mississippi were required to be board-certified obstetrician-gynecologists and have admitting privileges at an area hospital. Though a court eventually blocked the law, it sparked a new pro-life maneuver: bills with similar language appeared, state-after-state, like clockwork in the laboratory of democracy.

This is not a coincidence. Lawmakers are not suddenly concerned about women's health. According to a report by the Guttmacher Institute, in 2013 alone, 22 states adopted 70 different restrictions, including late-abortion bans, doctor and clinic regulations, limits on medication abortions and bans on insurance coverage.

And medical experts have disputed these restrictions again and again. In an amicus brief filed in response to the passing of the Texas law last year, the American Medical Association and American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists wrote:

"There is no medical basis to require abortion providers to have local hospital admitting privileges … Unless there is a substantial public health justification, legislators should not interfere with patient care, medical decisions, and the patient-physician relationship."

To repeat: there is no medical basis for the restrictions. But legislators seem to care little for reason, or even actual medical advice. Because the pro-life movement hasn't succeeded at overturning Roe v Wade, they're focussing on generating enough red tape to shut down as many abortion facilities as possible.

Source

On an unrelated note, when I viewed the article, one of the ads was for the Guardian's dating service. Apparently, I am a match for this person: :dunno:

tentacle_erotica, 33 W
Last online this week

turns out you can be too funny

London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom
I suppose the idea is that I meet you and it works and we're in love (I find that a highly implausible idea) but anyway I've been persuaded by the statistics about ...

Profile last updated: 6 April 2014

Personal Ad

Thoughts?
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: An article about American abortion laws in the Guardian
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 05:32:06 PM »
They are supposed to keep church and state separate.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 05:44:19 AM »

To me, this is closer to nullification than the separation of church and state. Politicians all want to advance their values, whether those values are secular or religious.

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 11:57:19 PM »

To me, this is closer to nullification than the separation of church and state. Politicians all want to advance their values, whether those values are secular or religious.

Politicians have values? You're joking, right?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 05:17:11 AM »

I meant it in terms of their political platforms. :P

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:08:31 AM »
:rofl:

Good one, man.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 03:17:32 AM »

I meant it in terms of their political platforms. :P

Yeah, like that isn't a joke. :P
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 06:13:28 AM »
Politicians have values?
Probably, but they're kinda hard to sell, even on the black market.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 08:25:56 PM »
I don't see why abortion has to be strictly a religious issue.  There are secular reasons for a fetus to be considered a live human being.  Furthermore, I wish people would stop using the "I thought conservatives were against regulation" canard.  That is only true for the libertarian wing of the party.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 08:35:42 PM by Dexter Morgan »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 02:24:32 AM »
Politicians have values?
Probably, but they're kinda hard to sell, even on the black market.

A lot of them would if they could.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Dexter Morgan

• Karma Policeman of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 09:22:54 AM »
Being in DC a while, the most interesting thing I have learned is that congressmen actually make more money after they lose an election because political insiders are worth so much to lobbyists.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 02:27:48 AM »
Democracy is such a great thing. :P

- Albert Einstein

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2014, 08:26:39 PM »
Being in DC a while, the most interesting thing I have learned is that congressmen actually make more money after they lose an election because political insiders are worth so much to lobbyists.

Then Rick Santorum must be unbelievably richer now. :CanofWorms: