Educational

Author Topic: Is there a stigma attached to mental health?  (Read 9360 times)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Is there a stigma attached to mental health?
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2013, 01:46:44 PM »
I bet my man Stephen Hawking doesn't give two shits about mensa.

He can't leaf through the crossword puzzles. What did you expect?

Even if he could, I bet he'd be more interested in trying to figure out where black holes go or something.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2013, 02:48:02 AM »

Even if he could, I bet he'd be more interested in trying to figure out where black holes go or something.

Or answer the question "How many black holes does it take to change a light bulb?"

None. There's a reason they are called BLACK holes.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2013, 06:02:50 AM »
It's written proof you have a brain so that when you're sitting around in a home drooling and talking to the plants people will know. :autism:

I had a concussion, to prove the existence of my brain.  :tard:

What did it do to your IQ?

Id did not prove anything about my IQ. And I don't know what it did to it. Should I get it tested again?
It was disastrous for my executive functioning and my communication skills. Imagine that, I was already autistic before the concussion too.
 :flyingbat:

Maybe if you tried again...?

Another concussion? Makes me think of Asterix and Obelix treating a druid.

I'll pass.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2013, 11:38:18 AM »

Or answer the question "How many black holes does it take to change a light bulb?"

None. There's a reason they are called BLACK holes.

YEAH. He wouldn't care about stupid old mensa.
I will never stop...

• Biggest Dick on the Board
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2013, 01:12:19 PM »
I never understood why anyone would want to join MENSA.

I've only ever known one MENSA member. She was too smart for me to understand either.  :hahaha:

:tard:

A friend of mine is a member. I've asked him about it but never gotten a satisfactory answer.

I can understand joining a chess club or a golf club. You actually do something, there is an interest you share with like-minded people. Stamps, sure. Ship models, yes. Writer's workshops, why not? But MENSA? You take a test and happen to hit the top 2%.

To me it seems to be about showing off to the people who can't join.

Anyone here a member? If so, why did you join? What do you get out of it?

High IQ can be like autism, only that you are not disabled. That's why you want to be around those people.
t͕̬̱̣̻he̘̳͍̯͇ͥ̾ ͇̉̋ĥ̖ͣi̘͕̙v͉̆̉e̠͓̐̔ ͕͍̺̝̑͛ͪṃ̯̳͙͗́i̓͑͌̿ͥ̐n̯͉̥̘͚͎̹ͮ͑̏ͤd̙̗̫̓ ̟̝̼͌̉́͑rͦ̋͗̃̐͛e̪̅p͂r̯̙̙̿e̳̟͔͔̼͍̪̅ͪͬ̔͛́̚s̰͈̭̞̭̥̃̐ͤ̽ͤĕ͕̹̙͒͆͒̍n͈̠̣ͪ̇ͩ͆ͩͅṯ͍̟͕̮͆̑͛̐͛ị̭̟̮̍̆ͥ̂̈́̅n̯͙̯̝̗͑͐̓g̻̠͊̂́ͤ ̂̄̒͌ͮ̐́̄̈̿̈ͫp̦̜͇̝̈͌̈ͭ̐̌s̜̼̪̪͍̩y̑ͪ̏ĉ̤͉̆h̹̫͖̱͙͉͙ȍ͐̅t͚̝ị̺̳ͮͬͬ̀ͅc͖̭͖̣̱͂͊̆ ̰̤̞̬̠̳̇ć̻̱͙͎̘̲̰hȃ̩͔̿̎͂̂̚o̦̱̩ś̹̗̥̤̝ͅ,̫͚̥͎͚͇͓͗ͬͪ͆ ͥ̃̌̀̉̈́h̋̾͛͗e̜ ͚̥̞̫̠ͫͮ͛̿c̈o͈͖͋̔͂̀ͬm̠̩̣ͧe̮ͯͪs̳̞̘͇͎̳͉̈́̃͂ ̞̎ͯh̖͚́̈̑̓̋ë̟̻̼̩́ͧͩ̎͛ ̯̲̖͕̖̘͉c͕o̻̝̰͓̙ͯ͋̃̊̈́͂̏m̬̩̃e̯͆̆͒ͩs̲ ̜͔̭͎s̼̟̰͉͈̅̒͂̎̿ͤo͈͖͋̔͂̀ͬo͈͖͋̔͂̀ͬn͈̠̣ͪ̇ͩ͆ͩͅ

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2013, 03:56:06 PM »
It's written proof you have a brain so that when you're sitting around in a home drooling and talking to the plants people will know. :autism:

I had a concussion, to prove the existence of my brain.  :tard:

What did it do to your IQ?

Id did not prove anything about my IQ. And I don't know what it did to it. Should I get it tested again?
It was disastrous for my executive functioning and my communication skills. Imagine that, I was already autistic before the concussion too.
 :flyingbat:

Maybe if you tried again...?

Another concussion? Makes me think of Asterix and Obelix treating a druid.

I'll pass.

You have to admire their logic, though.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2013, 03:58:22 PM »
I never understood why anyone would want to join MENSA.

I've only ever known one MENSA member. She was too smart for me to understand either.  :hahaha:

:tard:

A friend of mine is a member. I've asked him about it but never gotten a satisfactory answer.

I can understand joining a chess club or a golf club. You actually do something, there is an interest you share with like-minded people. Stamps, sure. Ship models, yes. Writer's workshops, why not? But MENSA? You take a test and happen to hit the top 2%.

To me it seems to be about showing off to the people who can't join.

Anyone here a member? If so, why did you join? What do you get out of it?

High IQ can be like autism, only that you are not disabled. That's why you want to be around those people.

Eh? Were you trying to make sense again?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2013, 04:00:25 PM »
That didn't make sense to you?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2013, 04:03:20 PM »
Nope. Do you want to translate it?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2013, 04:04:54 PM »

Do you find people on your intellect level appealing? Have any need for like minded people?

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2013, 04:09:59 PM »

Do you find people on your intellect level appealing? Have any need for like minded people?

I don't think I'll find like-minded people by relying on a number. People on my intellectual level, maybe, but that's not the same thing at all.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Jack

• Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2013, 04:19:57 PM »

I don't think I'll find like-minded people by relying on a number. People on my intellectual level, maybe, but that's not the same thing at all.

Didn't mean Intellect and like minded as the same thing at all. It was two separate questions, based on what he said about seeking intellect, similar to how one might seek autism.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2013, 05:22:11 PM »
I will translate, O-man.

Translated:

Swiggity swag, i'm a fag.
I will never stop...

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2013, 02:11:45 AM »

Didn't mean Intellect and like minded as the same thing at all. It was two separate questions, based on what he said about seeking intellect, similar to how one might seek autism.

So what did *he* say, apart from claiming that people with high IQs are not disabled?

- Albert Einstein

• Biggest Dick on the Board
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2013, 02:52:29 AM »
I was just making a comparison, one that basically everyone should be able to understand on this board ...

To people with autism, the world appears differently. People with autism think differently. Not 100% absolutely everyone obviously but a considerable majority. We perceive more details, we think in details rather than in general concepts, our perception is more sensitive. That causes us to understand the world and everything that exists on a different level and in a different manner. It also causes us to function differently. For example, we might interpret things more literal and we can rather understand the very concrete and explicitly elaborated than the abstract and loosely implied. We tend to have special interests, where we just focus on one subject but intensely. There are many more differences, which are harder, and would take more time, to explain. All those differences may make it easier to relate to people who share a similar mindset. Not everyone with autism thinks exactly in the same way or has exactly the same mental differences. But at average, the category increases the probabilities that they do. The same is true for people with high IQ.

In an analogous manner to autism, people of high intelligence have differences in their mental functioning, therefore also 'perception' and the outcomes of that. Gifted people do have conversely often no particular interest at all, because they can and do understand everything better and automatically, with little to no hurdles to overcome. That might cause them to focus on understanding everything at once and they get lost in trying to grasp all the knowledge there is, but nothing ever in personally satisfying depth. They may have social problems which are caused by being unable to relate to the people around them, because of their superior thoughts, views and understanding which are not well accepted by their peers, because the peers are simply too stupid. Also, the higher the IQ the higher the probability of suffering from a mental disorder (just like it is with autism). High IQ correlates with life success and productivity. Someone very intelligent might not be able to get a socially satisfying experience by watching a movie with other people or playing a board game, because in their eyes, both are damn retarded and so simple that you could think of it as being age-inappropriate. They could end up with a job that is not intellectually challenging enough for them to pay attention to or to take it seriously. The same could happen to them in school, even causing them to drop out and get bad grades. They might have entirely different desires and needs based on their intellectual capabilities and curiosity.

Essentially, the higher the IQ of a person, the less the difference for them between relating to people and relating to a bunch of chimpanzees. It might just make them emotionally and socially isolated.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 03:15:05 AM by DFGL »
t͕̬̱̣̻he̘̳͍̯͇ͥ̾ ͇̉̋ĥ̖ͣi̘͕̙v͉̆̉e̠͓̐̔ ͕͍̺̝̑͛ͪṃ̯̳͙͗́i̓͑͌̿ͥ̐n̯͉̥̘͚͎̹ͮ͑̏ͤd̙̗̫̓ ̟̝̼͌̉́͑rͦ̋͗̃̐͛e̪̅p͂r̯̙̙̿e̳̟͔͔̼͍̪̅ͪͬ̔͛́̚s̰͈̭̞̭̥̃̐ͤ̽ͤĕ͕̹̙͒͆͒̍n͈̠̣ͪ̇ͩ͆ͩͅṯ͍̟͕̮͆̑͛̐͛ị̭̟̮̍̆ͥ̂̈́̅n̯͙̯̝̗͑͐̓g̻̠͊̂́ͤ ̂̄̒͌ͮ̐́̄̈̿̈ͫp̦̜͇̝̈͌̈ͭ̐̌s̜̼̪̪͍̩y̑ͪ̏ĉ̤͉̆h̹̫͖̱͙͉͙ȍ͐̅t͚̝ị̺̳ͮͬͬ̀ͅc͖̭͖̣̱͂͊̆ ̰̤̞̬̠̳̇ć̻̱͙͎̘̲̰hȃ̩͔̿̎͂̂̚o̦̱̩ś̹̗̥̤̝ͅ,̫͚̥͎͚͇͓͗ͬͪ͆ ͥ̃̌̀̉̈́h̋̾͛͗e̜ ͚̥̞̫̠ͫͮ͛̿c̈o͈͖͋̔͂̀ͬm̠̩̣ͧe̮ͯͪs̳̞̘͇͎̳͉̈́̃͂ ̞̎ͯh̖͚́̈̑̓̋ë̟̻̼̩́ͧͩ̎͛ ̯̲̖͕̖̘͉c͕o̻̝̰͓̙ͯ͋̃̊̈́͂̏m̬̩̃e̯͆̆͒ͩs̲ ̜͔̭͎s̼̟̰͉͈̅̒͂̎̿ͤo͈͖͋̔͂̀ͬo͈͖͋̔͂̀ͬn͈̠̣ͪ̇ͩ͆ͩͅ