Educational

Author Topic: Attack on Syria imminent  (Read 6324 times)

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Attack on Syria imminent
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2013, 01:40:17 PM »
He used quotes to imply a bastardization of democracy. "Democracy", not democracy.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2013, 01:49:10 PM »
Incidentally, the US got involved militarily in WWII because we were attacked by Japan and had war declared on us by Germany.

because we were attacked by Japan

had war declared on us by Germany

Uh-huh. And defending ourselves is perfectly acceptable. That does not help your case, bud.

What case? My "case" is that Lit is wrong and that American foreign intervention is sometimes good.

Not "military intervention". Foreign intervention. As in foreign aid, humanitarian missions, disaster relief, etc. Things that Lit left out.

Other than that, I've just corrected a few mistakes that I see with Lit's interpretation of American history.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2013, 01:51:15 PM »
Incidentally, the US got involved militarily in WWII because we were attacked by Japan and had war declared on us by Germany.

Uh-huh. And defending ourselves is perfectly acceptable. That does not help your case, bud.

What case? My "case" is that Lit is wrong and that American foreign intervention is sometimes good.

Not "military intervention". Foreign intervention. As in foreign aid, humanitarian missions, disaster relief, etc. Things that Lit left out.

Other than that, I've just corrected a few mistakes that I see with Lit's interpretation of American history.

Oh I misread then. I thought you were defending military intervention. My bad.
I will never stop...

Offline Beardy McFuckface

• Constant Poster
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2013, 01:52:53 PM »
Nothing wrong with giving aid. Just military action from a country that has no business to step in at all. It should be the business of neighbouring countries in threat, or the UN's peacekeeping forces.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2013, 01:54:40 PM »
*Steps in, points* YEAH!

*steps out*
I will never stop...

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2013, 01:55:03 PM »

:)

Not everything that the US has done overseas has been evil or imperialist.

In the other direction, I pointed out a few examples of American imperialism that Lit had missed.

There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2013, 01:57:47 PM »

:)

Not everything that the US has done overseas has been evil or imperialist.

In the other direction, I pointed out a few examples of American imperialism that Lit had missed.

I hate to say it, but the lion's share of it is. Even if it seemed humanitarian in nature, there was usually an imperialist agenda beneath it. We're the death star, man.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 02:03:46 PM by RageBeoulve »
I will never stop...

TheoK

« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2013, 01:59:35 PM »

This and this are two links explaining US foreign aid. Yes, military aid is included in these figures. If you want it straight from the US government, click here. If you don't feel like reading all of it, skip to page 74.

OK, the US sometimes helps people without getting direct benefits out of it but not most of the time.

How do you hold Lincoln to be a criminal for the American Civil War?

The southern states must have had a right to leave the United States, just like the United States had a right to be independent of Britain. But Lincoln provoked the war to force them back into the union.

Later guys, like Wilson, didn't even pretend to care about what the constitution said.

Incidentally, the US got involved militarily in WWII because we were attacked by Japan and had war declared on us by Germany. All nations act according to their interests.

But the US wouldn't have cared if Adolf had just enslaved continental Europe and there had been no Japanese attack and no German declaration of war.

I notice that you vilify absolutely everything that the US has done over the past century or so without making any room for the good that has been done. You also don't seem to hold other nations to these standards. The US government may be a tyrannical, Constitution-breaking den of thieves, but it's not as black and white as you claim.

As an anarchist I don't think that any state is even legitimate, but the US has mostly done things out of its own interest, yes. This thing with giving other countries "democracy" has been used for 100 years now.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2013, 02:10:17 PM »
Nothing wrong with giving aid. Just military action from a country that has no business to step in at all. It should be the business of neighbouring countries in threat, or the UN's peacekeeping forces.

I agree. But the problem with the UN is Russia (and probably China) would veto any reasonable decisions made

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »
I don't buy the beneficial card, pulled by some folk here, of the US or whatever other nation in this tricky situation with Syria hic et nunc.

Not a lot to gain.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2013, 09:31:07 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, she looks Christian to me. That may explain the bias for Bashar, but she's still not a credible source to go to.

Because of her (possible) religion?

It's well known that, in general, Syrian Christians (if she is a Christian) are extremely biased for Bashar and have a blind unconditional loyalty towards him no matter what he does. So yes, it's relevant.

By the way, America may have ulterior motives, but I couldn't care about that one. The end goal is what matters to me in this case.

Offline Semicolon

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #71 on: August 28, 2013, 10:42:53 PM »

This and this are two links explaining US foreign aid. Yes, military aid is included in these figures. If you want it straight from the US government, click here. If you don't feel like reading all of it, skip to page 74.

OK, the US sometimes helps people without getting direct benefits out of it but not most of the time.

How do you hold Lincoln to be a criminal for the American Civil War?

The southern states must have had a right to leave the United States, just like the United States had a right to be independent of Britain. But Lincoln provoked the war to force them back into the union.

Later guys, like Wilson, didn't even pretend to care about what the constitution said.

Incidentally, the US got involved militarily in WWII because we were attacked by Japan and had war declared on us by Germany. All nations act according to their interests.

But the US wouldn't have cared if Adolf had just enslaved continental Europe and there had been no Japanese attack and no German declaration of war.

I notice that you vilify absolutely everything that the US has done over the past century or so without making any room for the good that has been done. You also don't seem to hold other nations to these standards. The US government may be a tyrannical, Constitution-breaking den of thieves, but it's not as black and white as you claim.

As an anarchist I don't think that any state is even legitimate, but the US has mostly done things out of its own interest, yes. This thing with giving other countries "democracy" has been used for 100 years now.

I can see the equivalency of the Civil War and the American Revolution, but you leave out a few details. Regardless of sovereignty, no person has the right to keep slaves. Perhaps Lincoln acted unethically (and we could argue about this for a while), but I don't see how he broke the law there. He certainly bent the law at other times in his presidency.

The US populace may not have cared if Hitler had enslaved Europe, but the leadership was sending aid to the Allies before we formally entered into the war. That's backwards from the usual setup nowadays.

You focus so much of your attention on the US without paying any attention to other countries. Do you claim that the USSR was acting altruistically by instituting the Warsaw Pact? What about the Japanese imperialism that helped lead to WWII? Nazi Germany's annexation of most of Europe?

Not modern enough for you? How about the British occupation of Gibraltar and Cyprus? How about China's control of Taiwan and Tibet? I hear a lot of talk about American oppression from you but little about other countries'. All nations act according to their interests.

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #72 on: August 28, 2013, 11:26:49 PM »
I really hate this fucking planet.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2013, 11:37:26 PM »

Don't worry, it'll be bathed in nuclear fire soon enough. :zoinks:
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Bastet

• Psychotic Mentally Deficient Deranged Bitch
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • MeOW!
« Reply #74 on: August 28, 2013, 11:44:18 PM »

Don't worry, it'll be bathed in nuclear fire soon enough. :zoinks:

I am seriously feeling like going Sephiroth on this entire planet.
:kitten: OBSESSIVE AILUROPHILE :kitten:

It is far better for people to hate you for doing the right thing than for people to love you for doing the wrong thing. Never ever forget that.