Author Topic: Random articles of interest thread  (Read 532 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Random articles of interest thread
« on: July 08, 2013, 04:13:01 PM »
For when you find something worth sharing, but don't want to start a new thread:

Short explanation of what it's about and/or title + link

----------------------------------------------

Long but worth reading, on octopus intelligence/consciousness:

http://www.orionmagazine.org/index.php/articles/article/6474/

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Random articles of interest thread
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 06:37:19 PM »
Very interesting. I never thought of octopuses as smart. In fact, I didnt even know they had real brains :laugh:

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
Awesome thread idea  :thumbup:

I shall return.
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 05:22:34 AM »
Very interesting. I never thought of octopuses as smart. In fact, I didnt even know they had real brains :laugh:

What about Squiddy?  :squiddy:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 07:03:53 PM »

Haha!

And yeah, I must admit I had never thought of octopuses as being particularly intelligent before either. I was reading a book recently that had a chapter on them though - they sound pretty amazing really. I've read at least a couple times people saying they're almost like aliens, because they have developed an intelligence (and also eyes) separately to other species with high levels of intelligence ie primates. So they're almost like aliens on earth lol

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 10:07:17 PM »
Here is the formula for Elbaite Tourmaline. Na(Li1.5,Al1.5)Al6Si6O18(BO3)3(OH)3OH

to which I don't think it can be man-made at this point because it is too complex.

If you have ever had a Tourmaline you might feel something special. There so cool to find in nature because of the crystal structor and also the color combination.
:skywarp:

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 04:14:21 AM »

Haha!

And yeah, I must admit I had never thought of octopuses as being particularly intelligent before either. I was reading a book recently that had a chapter on them though - they sound pretty amazing really. I've read at least a couple times people saying they're almost like aliens, because they have developed an intelligence (and also eyes) separately to other species with high levels of intelligence ie primates. So they're almost like aliens on earth lol

I saw a video once of an octopus using a coconut shell as a tool. :thumbup:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 02:42:03 AM »

Haha!

And some of them know about football too.  :zoinks:
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 06:38:51 AM »

Have a new project.

A "friend"  with (MONEY  and) a van who wants a lot of bass in his sound system.

I also have a plan that will knock his dick in the dirt!

:mischief:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 11:55:03 AM »
This is a interesting read. if you have the time

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99942_Apophis
:skywarp:

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 12:15:05 AM »
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 10:46:12 PM »

Have a new project.

A "friend"  with (MONEY  and) a van who wants a lot of bass in his sound system.

I also have a plan that will knock his dick in the dirt!

:mischief:

We have now come up with an actual plan. He is willing to give up ten cubic feet of interior space to a fourth order quad fifteen box that I think will knock his dick in the dirt.

He has already bought and installed a thirty two hundred watt mono amplifier (associated extra battery, high tech over amperage alternator, eight ONE FARAD, bad ass caps to maintain explosive current in high power passages, two gauge wiring) to power the box I am building.

I am using four Dayton Titanics, set for one ohm, combined. That will be the most power his amp can sustain.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 10:49:11 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 11:40:16 PM »
 About or maybe a little more than half way there and I am being pressured to finish, of course.

Very big troubles at work, so I am taking a vacation to use the last of my benefits. We are going south!

My "friend" will just have to wait a bit more. He knows I have kids, family, other concerns and I am kind of rich, when compared to him, even though I am taking a lot of his money to best serve his subwoofing  headgame.

What I have to offer him in our construction project  is an artform that few can attain and he knows it (well, OK, buttloads of science make the "art"  really work.)

I just hope that he can keep from thinking that I have gone crazy in taking off to the Caribbean for a week.

Offline conlang returns

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
  • I'm a fox UwU
    • My twitter
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 09:35:26 PM »
I know it says articles, but I am posting a video anyway

Student's creed: everything is due, and nothing is submitted

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 12:02:49 AM »
About or maybe a little more than half way there and I am being pressured to finish, of course.

Very big troubles at work, so I am taking a vacation to use the last of my benefits. We are going south!

My "friend" will just have to wait a bit more. He knows I have kids, family, other concerns and I am kind of rich, when compared to him, even though I am taking a lot of his money to best serve his subwoofing  headgame.

What I have to offer him in our construction project  is an artform that few can attain and he knows it (well, OK, buttloads of science make the "art"  really work.)

I just hope that he can keep from thinking that I have gone crazy in taking off to the Caribbean for a week.

While all packed and shit, ready to head out next morning, My daughter (once again) complains about pains in her chest. She has done so for a number of years and always complains about everything, TBH.  I chose to question her more fully. MAKE HER describe the pain, for the hundredth time. She finally said something that concerned me. We put off our plans.

I took her to our doctor. Turns out, she has the exact same Ventricular Tachycardia that I have had most of my life. It is nothing to worry about, but when you feel it it is quite disturbing.  Medication can control it quite comfortably. We are not going to the Bahamas, after all. Our window has closed. My work is not important, but my wife has to schedule these things months in advance.

I am glad that we finally found out what is causing my daughter stress at the most odd times.

Will have to do "Troppo"  another time. We should already be there!!

:violin: