Author Topic: What is the Weather like where You Live?  (Read 167896 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: What is the Weather like where You Live?
« Reply #1575 on: December 29, 2007, 12:15:32 AM »
It snowed several more inches today and it is currently 1 degree Fahrenheit (-17 degrees Celsius).
Can you go outside in that? I have never experienced that temperature before.

It is nice right now 31.5C. But next Wednesday is forecast to be 40C again. :( I will stay inside that day.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #1576 on: December 29, 2007, 12:29:45 AM »
 :laugh:

Yes, you can go outside.
One usually wears clothing though.

I've done it without.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1577 on: December 29, 2007, 12:31:09 AM »
It snowed several more inches today and it is currently 1 degree Fahrenheit (-17 degrees Celsius).

It is nice right now 31.5C. But next Wednesday is forecast to be 40C again. :( I will stay inside that day.

Sure, you can go outside in zero degree Fahrenheit weather with snow and be fairly comfortable if you are wearing a coat and snow boots.

A few years ago, my brother and sister-in-law brought their son here during his spring break because he had never seen snow or played in it.

I drove them up into the mountains to show them snow and let them snow sled down a good hill.  Then the next day, it snowed here and we got to build a snowman in the back yard.

The funny thing was, my nephew packed his own bag and brought mostly shorts, so I had to find some pants and a coat for him to wear to play in the snow.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1578 on: December 29, 2007, 12:37:59 AM »
I don't know if I would survive that because my inner thermostat is broken and I can't retain body heat (been like that since birth). I have had hypothermia twice and it doesn't get very cold here in WA!

But I still would really like to see snow. Would have to wear lots of layers though.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #1579 on: December 29, 2007, 12:42:30 AM »
Your face gets cold, if you don't wear a scarf.
And I don't find scarves comfortable. Nose gets
really runny. And the air hurts to breathe. It's
wonderful.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1580 on: December 29, 2007, 01:16:32 AM »
I don't know if I would survive that because my inner thermostat is broken and I can't retain body heat (been like that since birth). I have had hypothermia twice and it doesn't get very cold here in WA!

But I still would really like to see snow. Would have to wear lots of layers though.

I know someone who is sort of the same way, but she can't take the heat or she might get a heatstroke.  She can't sweat.

Here are some snowy mountain pictures for you:

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1581 on: December 29, 2007, 01:55:29 AM »
Oh awesome pictures! :plus: for the snowman!

When I was born, I spent over a month in a humidicrib because every time I was taken out, my temperature would drop and I would have to be put back in again. It would be awful not to be able to sweat, though.
Tek'ma'tae

duncvis

« Reply #1582 on: December 29, 2007, 04:09:39 AM »
cloudy, breezy, cooler again. 4C/39F

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1583 on: December 29, 2007, 06:22:49 AM »
Another fucking fine day.  2.6C outside and light rain.  This is mid-day:

[attachment deleted by admin]
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1584 on: December 29, 2007, 06:23:57 AM »

I know someone who is sort of the same way, but she can't take the heat or she might get a heatstroke.  She can't sweat.

I sweat like a rapist, but I overheat very easily despite it.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

Offline Peter

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1585 on: December 29, 2007, 06:38:11 AM »

Sure, you can go outside in zero degree Fahrenheit weather with snow and be fairly comfortable if you are wearing a coat and snow boots.

The worst conditions are what we get the most of here; the temperature hovering a little above freezing with no sun, plenty of wind and constant light rain that lasts for days.  When it's very cold, it's also very dry, which makes it very easy to keep warm, but when it's wet, everything gets soaked, even if you've got a full shell of goretex on.  When the outside of the goretex gets soaked, as it inevitably does when exposed to rain for long enough, it stops being breathable and your clothes very quickly get damp and all your heat is sapped away. 

It's impossible to use down jackets here for anything serious, since they'd get soaked and would be useless, even the ones with goretex outers, and while wool doesn't become quite as useless when wet, it still loses a lot of it's insulating ability in damp conditions.  Also, the moisture in the air greatly increases the air's ability to carry away heat, so the wind chill is particularly severe here.  I'd take a blizzard over rain any day, and the colder the dryer the warmer, at least until you get to silly-cold temperatures and assuming you have the right gear.

GalileoAce

« Reply #1586 on: December 29, 2007, 07:01:27 AM »

Like renaeden my internal thermostat is also bejiggered. However in the opposite direction; my body generates an inordinate amount of heat, which makes summers very unpleasant indeed.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1587 on: December 29, 2007, 08:04:52 AM »

I've worked outside in it for 8+ hours notwhat I'd call fun but not that unpleasant need a long hot soak after to warm back up

Raining here today somewhere around 40F/4C
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

ozymandias

« Reply #1588 on: December 29, 2007, 09:27:55 AM »
got 5-6 inches of snow last night, the wet, heavy stuff, now it's turning a light mist with some freezing, 32 F

Offline Calandale

• Elder
  • peep
« Reply #1589 on: December 29, 2007, 09:36:49 AM »

Is THAT why I started sweating heavily?

I never used to. I was blaming it on all the tea.