Educational

Author Topic: What is the Weather like where You Live?  (Read 167738 times)

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: What is the Weather like where You Live?
« Reply #1185 on: October 11, 2007, 05:44:48 AM »
Cloudy, drizzly, 49 F, dark, dismal.  I'm going to go get some of that homemade clam chowder that "She Who Must Be Obeyed" has just finished making!!  YUM ;D

Cool!
We had salmon chowder for lunch. (our seafood comes frozen or canned and from a truck not a boat, around here  :'() It really "hit the spot,"  though.

Well, our clams came chopped in a can.  Even though we live in Maine.  That far inland you wouldn't know about "fresh seafood".  But, canned clam chowder hit the spot as well!  And to be honest, canned or frozen seafood can be just as tasty in a good chowder!   Corn can also be made into a decent chowder.  I am really going to miss Fried Clams, when we move to NY State in a few years.  That can only be enjoyed fresh off the clam flats!

I used to buy canned clams, emulsify them and add some to a Bloody Mary. Mmm!

I actually do know what fresh seafood is like. I grew up along the Gulf coast. Fishing the gulf was a frequent pastime for me, in my wilder youth. Boy, do I have some stories to tell. I used think that someday I will have tried every fish known to swim. ::)

We ate quite a few scallops and oysters, but our clams were dug up from the river mud. You could also go gigging for fish along the sand bars, before they outlawed it.

There were places where you could be a half a mile from shore in knee deep water. We had been years without a hurricane in those days. Then we got several mild ones in a short span of years and the sand bars were gone.

Ah, I didn't know that!  But, I often drool at the prospect of fresh shrimp, right off the boat!   :green: 

Our shellfish are radioactive.  :(

Do the give you super powers? :P
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #1186 on: October 11, 2007, 06:38:48 AM »
Cloudy, drizzly, 49 F, dark, dismal.  I'm going to go get some of that homemade clam chowder that "She Who Must Be Obeyed" has just finished making!!  YUM ;D

Cool!
We had salmon chowder for lunch. (our seafood comes frozen or canned and from a truck not a boat, around here  :'() It really "hit the spot,"  though.

Well, our clams came chopped in a can.  Even though we live in Maine.  That far inland you wouldn't know about "fresh seafood".  But, canned clam chowder hit the spot as well!  And to be honest, canned or frozen seafood can be just as tasty in a good chowder!   Corn can also be made into a decent chowder.  I am really going to miss Fried Clams, when we move to NY State in a few years.  That can only be enjoyed fresh off the clam flats!

I actually do know what fresh seafood is like. I grew up along the Gulf coast. Fishing the gulf was a frequent pastime for me, in my wilder youth. Boy, do I have some stories to tell. I used think that someday I will have tried every fish known to swim. ::)

We ate quite a few scallops and oysters, but our clams were dug up from the river mud. You could also go gigging for fish along the sand bars, before they outlawed it.

There were places where you could be a half a mile from shore in knee deep water. We had been years without a hurricane in those days. Then we got several mild ones in a short span of years and the sand bars were gone.

Ah, I didn't know that!  But, I often drool at the prospect of fresh shrimp, right off the boat!   :green: 

You know how they "grade" shrimp by size, right?
A common fifty to sixty grade is usually sold frozen as a cocktail shrimp and it takes fifty to sixty to make a pound. In my youth, it was quite common for the boats to hit the docks, loaded with holds full of them, along with some premium twelves, eights, and even a few shrimpers who had found masses of sixes. They all had a few giant "prawns", too, but they were usually too expensive for me.
Obviously, the  eights, sixes, fours, twos and the occasional one or onehalf commanded premium prices. Buying them from a shrimper who is a long way from home and needs to get diesel saves some money, though. I once bought eight ones, several fours, twenty something twos and two onehalves from a guy for twenty bucks. It should have been about seventy bucks or more. It was really way more than I wanted, but he was frustrated and limping home. He gave me the last of his catch for the amount of money I was already prepared to spend. I was not actually looking for shrimp, but I saw a boat and decided to check it out.

He had hit the docks late and missed the restaurateurs, who pay the big bucks for live giant shrimp, because he had engine trouble and had to do some repairs in the water. He was either going to have to dump his catch, because he was too far away from home to eat it all before it went bad or try to get a little bit of money out of it.

I had heard the crew talking about using over thirty feet of nylon rope as substitute for a belt they needed, (they had a broken engine pulley that was eating belts) having to replace the rope belt every ten minutes and worried that they would not have enough to get back. They had already broken both of their spare belts earlier in the day and were trying to use this rope to substitute.

I suggested that if he can delay his return trip, I would give him a ride across the bay to the mainland and we could hit a parts store. He was beside himself. It was like no one had ever done anything "nice" for him who wasn't a shrimper. Anyway, I paid the twenty bucks, he asked for, took him ten miles to town and back, bought him a case of beer for his three man crew, got some ice for the shrimp and beer and tipped him ten bucks.

I felt a little guilty getting all his shrimp, at first, but he said I was his Saviour and that he still owed me. I was invigorated spiritually to be able to help a working man, who happened to be a third generation shrimper and still wanted to do more, but he only needed a trip to town. He was able to buy a replacement pulley that would suffice and a couple of belts. He was happy.

I had made a friend that day that I will never see again. I guess that's the best kind, really.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 06:50:44 AM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1187 on: October 11, 2007, 07:24:57 AM »

only their shellfish.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1188 on: October 11, 2007, 07:52:47 AM »
It's awful here.  Just awful.

duncvis

« Reply #1189 on: October 11, 2007, 07:57:25 AM »
And on this side of the Pennines, the sun's out, its windy and feels colder than the 14C/57F the weather station claims it is.

ozymandias

« Reply #1190 on: October 11, 2007, 10:32:11 AM »

Cool!

You know how they "grade" shrimp by size, right?
A common fifty to sixty grade is usually sold frozen as a cocktail shrimp and it takes fifty to sixty to make a pound. In my youth, it was quite common for the boats to hit the docks, loaded with holds full of them, along with some premium twelves, eights, and even a few shrimpers who had found masses of sixes. They all had a few giant "prawns", too, but they were usually too expensive for me.
Obviously, the  eights, sixes, fours, twos and the occasional one or onehalf commanded premium prices. Buying them from a shrimper who is a long way from home and needs to get diesel saves some money, though. I once bought eight ones, several fours, twenty something twos and two onehalves from a guy for twenty bucks. It should have been about seventy bucks or more. It was really way more than I wanted, but he was frustrated and limping home. He gave me the last of his catch for the amount of money I was already prepared to spend. I was not actually looking for shrimp, but I saw a boat and decided to check it out.

He had hit the docks late and missed the restaurateurs, who pay the big bucks for live giant shrimp, because he had engine trouble and had to do some repairs in the water. He was either going to have to dump his catch, because he was too far away from home to eat it all before it went bad or try to get a little bit of money out of it.

I had heard the crew talking about using over thirty feet of nylon rope as substitute for a belt they needed, (they had a broken engine pulley that was eating belts) having to replace the rope belt every ten minutes and worried that they would not have enough to get back. They had already broken both of their spare belts earlier in the day and were trying to use this rope to substitute.

I suggested that if he can delay his return trip, I would give him a ride across the bay to the mainland and we could hit a parts store. He was beside himself. It was like no one had ever done anything "nice" for him who wasn't a shrimper. Anyway, I paid the twenty bucks, he asked for, took him ten miles to town and back, bought him a case of beer for his three man crew, got some ice for the shrimp and beer and tipped him ten bucks.

I felt a little guilty getting all his shrimp, at first, but he said I was his Saviour and that he still owed me. I was invigorated spiritually to be able to help a working man, who happened to be a third generation shrimper and still wanted to do more, but he only needed a trip to town. He was able to buy a replacement pulley that would suffice and a couple of belts. He was happy.

I had made a friend that day that I will never see again. I guess that's the best kind, really.

It's a good feeling when you can do that, no matter how large or small.  It used to bother me that I wouldn't see them again, but, the memories are treasured.  So that will have to do.  You made a difference in that guys life.  Instead of dumping the shrimp and having a dead boat.  You helped him get another chance to go out and make money and make a living, feed his family!

You earned some serious REAL Karma there! :clap:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1191 on: October 11, 2007, 12:59:55 PM »
But you know, all I did was give a "downed traveler" a lift to town to get him going again. It was really no big deal to me, but his reaction and his gratitude left quite an impression on me. I'll never forget the look on his face when I offered to help him. He was positively stunned.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 01:01:42 PM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

ozymandias

« Reply #1192 on: October 11, 2007, 01:12:29 PM »
But you know, all I did was give a "downed traveler" a lift to town to get him going again. It was really no big deal to me, but his reaction and his gratitude left quite an impression on me. I'll never forget the look on his face when I offered to help him. He was positively stunned.

I think a lot of us would be stunned at an offer of help like that! :laugh:  He's probably never going to forget you either! 8)  It's hearing these things happen that make this world a tolerable place for me and I'm sure many others feel the same way.

I get the feeling that your feeling embarassed at my words, so I'll just leave it off here! 8)

Offline Rabbit From Hell

• Milla's Husband
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • Gun or turkey baster? Do you feel lucky, punk?
« Reply #1193 on: October 11, 2007, 01:15:20 PM »
It's hot right now.  But right around halloween we get rain that turns into snow and wind.  Then it's winter until the middle of May.
You're the retarded offspring of five monkeys having buttsex with a fish squirrel, congratulations.

politics and evil
all one and the same
satan hides behind
another name

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #1194 on: October 11, 2007, 03:43:24 PM »
Rainy and cool
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1195 on: October 11, 2007, 04:52:53 PM »

I think a lot of us would be stunned at an offer of help like that! :laugh:  He's probably never going to forget you either! 8)  It's hearing these things happen that make this world a tolerable place for me and I'm sure many others feel the same way.

I get the feeling that your feeling embarassed at my words, so I'll just leave it off here! 8)

You're not embarrassing me, Ozy, but I was a little embarrassed and overloaded on that day from the whole encounter. He was faced with heading back out on the water in a trawler that was not really seaworthy or waiting until someone he knew happened along the next day and could possibly bring him some help on the third day. I just chose to be "someone he knew" on the spot and offer some help. It was just the way I was brought up, but he over-thanked me a bit.

To him, the shrimp had no value, but to me the value was great. To me, a trip to town had no value, but to him the value was great. So we simply traded, in a way.

Back to the weather ...

Misty, and fifty degrees.

ozymandias

« Reply #1196 on: October 11, 2007, 05:17:04 PM »

You're not embarrassing me, Ozy, but I was a little embarrassed and overloaded on that day from the whole encounter. He was faced with heading back out on the water in a trawler that was not really seaworthy or waiting until someone he knew happened along the next day and could possibly bring him some help on the third day. I just chose to be "someone he knew" on the spot and offer some help. It was just the way I was brought up, but he over-thanked me a bit.

To him, the shrimp had no value, but to me the value was great. To me, a trip to town had no value, but to him the value was great. So we simply traded, in a way.

Back to the weather ...

Misty, and fifty degrees.

Ah, so it was a trade off!  Still, not many people would have done the same as you.  And he may have been overly thankful to your senses, but, to him it was probably a miracle!  Sounds like you did an AS thing, with empathy and logic. :laugh:   I was brought up in a similar way.  Either way, you did the right thing and you both benefited.  Karma, Kismet(fate), whatever you want to call it.  In your life, do you recall somebody who may have done to you a little kindness from their viewpoint, but, meant a great deal to you???  I know my life has been marked by such things in retrospect.

ANyway, 50's and rainy!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1197 on: October 11, 2007, 05:41:59 PM »
Most certainly - similar things have happened on a number of occasions, but really this one incident impacted me more deeply, in retrospect. Like you say, though, I may have been overwhelmed from sensing his desperation and not really understanding the degree of how fucked he was at the time. I've looked back on it many times and I realize that he was quite fucked, by his situation.

There have been enough times when I was "rescued" that I feel like I need to do some more rescuing, still.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 05:43:34 PM by MarkingDawg »

Offline Peter

• Amazing Cyber-Human Hybrid
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
« Reply #1198 on: October 11, 2007, 06:05:28 PM »

only their shellfish.

A lot of the shellfish around here are contaminated with plutonium from Sellafield.
14:10 - Moarskrillex42: She said something about knowing why I wanted to move to Glasgow when she came in. She plopped down on my bed and told me to go ahead and open it for her.

14:11 - Peter5930: So, she thought I was your lover and that I was sending you a box full of sex toys, and that you wanted to move to Glasgow to be with me?

ozymandias

« Reply #1199 on: October 11, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
Most certainly - similar things have happened on a number of occasions, but really this one incident impacted me more deeply, in retrospect. Like you say, though, I may have been overwhelmed from sensing his desperation and not really understanding the degree of how fucked he was at the time. I've looked back on it many times and I realize that he was quite fucked, by his situation.

There have been enough times when I was "rescued" that I feel like I need to do some more rescuing, still.

I know the feeling.