Author Topic: What is the Weather like where You Live?  (Read 167807 times)

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: What is the Weather like where You Live?
« Reply #11745 on: October 15, 2018, 01:34:28 AM »
Rain and temperatures in the high teens or low twenties (Celsius) until Friday.

Our recent run of wet weather is most welcome after the worst drought in recorded history.

Funny how often we get the "worst drought in history". It all depends on how you measure it. One drought might be the worst in history in terms of how many back-to-back years of below average rainfull occur in a row. The next drought might be the worst in terms of the number of months in a row with less than half the average rainfull. The next drought might be the worst in history in terms of the lowest rainfall. I guess there is an almost limitless number of ways you could categorize the "worst drought in history".
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #11746 on: October 15, 2018, 12:48:25 PM »

The hot point of the day occurred at three AM and it has turned steadily, slowly cooler all day. They say this overcast condition should burn off before dusk, but I seriously doubt it at this point - almost three PM - still thickly overcast.

Supposed to get our first freeze tonight, if the high pressure cold front CAN clear out the clouds. That would be right on time with the century and a half old average, if it happens.

No fall color yet. Leaves are dropping quickly without turning colors. Most trees are still summer green, yet leaves are falling.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #11747 on: October 15, 2018, 01:48:18 PM »
Raw, dank, cold feeling to the bone......definitely a good day to drink wine.
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11748 on: October 15, 2018, 11:20:02 PM »
Nice and sunny, 21.5°C at 1:20pm.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11749 on: October 15, 2018, 11:32:43 PM »
Foggy, around 10C.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11750 on: October 16, 2018, 07:49:41 AM »
Hard freeze last night, still frost on everything at almost ten AM.

I covered my sweet pepper bed with a tarp and placed twelve, five gallon buckets of water (I NEVER throw away a bucket!) dispersed between the plants. Seems to have worked when I peaked. Just a few gallons for the hot peppers and a covering.
The rest of the vegetable garden things are already winter ready. All other plantings are perennial and I want them to freeze down and go dormant. Most common way to lose a stand of perennials is to try to keep it going too long into the winter weather.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11751 on: October 16, 2018, 09:52:53 AM »
Rain last night.  Cool front is coming in sometime today or tomorrow.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11752 on: October 17, 2018, 08:23:50 AM »

Not quite a freeze last night due to a heavy cloud cover. I still warmed up my water buckets and kept my peppers covered.

Tonight we are predicted to breach the record cold set in the nineties and I plan to warm up my water buckets and soak the soil in my pepper bed. I would really like to get the rest of these beautiful sweet peppers to ripen before I put everything to bed for the winter.

Right now, 46F/8C at just after ten AM. Very clear blue skies and high pressure.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11753 on: October 17, 2018, 09:05:10 PM »
Rain last night.  Cool front is coming in sometime today or tomorrow.
Us too.
17.0°C at 11:05am.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11754 on: October 17, 2018, 11:26:55 PM »
Around 10C right now. Clear skies.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #11755 on: October 18, 2018, 08:06:08 PM »
Heavy fog this morning, flights delayed at the airport and traffic chaos in the morning peak hour/s traffic.

26 Celsius now at 1:05 pm. Supposed to max out at 28 Celsius.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11756 on: October 18, 2018, 08:20:24 PM »
15.7°C and cloudy at 10:20am.

We had hail yesterday afternoon - the temperature dropped by about 6°C.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11757 on: October 18, 2018, 08:48:15 PM »
It was supposed to be in the 70's Wednesday, then Thursday, now it won't be until Saturday.

If you can't trust a man, you sure as hell can't trust a weatherman!
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #11758 on: October 19, 2018, 07:33:40 AM »

Weather reporting is THE most thankless of all jobs.

Not supposed to get so cold last night, but I kept things protected as well as possible. Still, my sweet pepper season is over. Hot peppers look fine, though. Another week on those, maybe.

I stripped all the sweet peppers this morning. I will pull out the plants this weekend and put the bed to rest for the winter.

Now an item that probably should go into the "Bitch" thread, but continuing with this context.
I was watching twelve huge peppers, almost fully ripe and over night the raccoons got to them and they are half eaten all over my back yard.

I do not want to just kill everything and have no wildlife living near me, but we have too many destructive pests, here. The abundance of raccoons living in our neighborhood has been a problem for several years. I am not the only one to notice.

The county Co-Op will bring "Have a Heart" traps and relocate them for a small fee. I intend to appeal to our Neighborhood Watch folks and see if anyone else is willing to chip in a few bucks to slow down this destruction.
One guy down the street keeps chickens for egg laying and twice this summer he has had to rebuild his coops due to raccoons marauding for eggs. Pretty sure he will go with me on this.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #11759 on: October 19, 2018, 02:55:50 PM »
Colder, today. I guess winter will happen again this year.

- Albert Einstein