Educational

Author Topic: I eat better now  (Read 652 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: I eat better now
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2013, 09:46:36 AM »
Thanks!

Can't I just avoid the veggies and be healthy some other way????

Oh and ye, cbc, my headaches aren't as frequent anymore. I still have the occasional one, but then I guess everyone gets headaches sometimes

I am technically underweight (by BMI), but don't think it was anything too bad and hopefully that will change eventually

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2013, 09:47:15 AM »
Thanks!

Oh and ye, cbc, my headaches aren't as frequent anymore. I still have the occasional one, but then I guess everyone gets headaches sometimes

I am technically underweight (by BMI), but don't think it was anything too bad and hopefully that will change eventually
v8?
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2013, 09:48:39 AM »
what's v8?

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2013, 09:53:26 AM »

Cooked Vegetables :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck:
The worst are boiled veggies. They make me sick :zombiefuck:

Raw veggies taste much better, and theyre much better for you. The only cooked veg I ever eat is caramelized parsnips, sweet potato, and carrots.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2013, 09:58:20 AM »
what's v8?

It is a juice drink with some veggies in it too. Never tried it
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2013, 10:02:53 AM »
Sounds awful, but I guess I could try it.........

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2013, 10:11:42 AM »
Sounds awful, but I guess I could try it.........

A lot of people have said it tastes good. It looks horrible and I honestly can't see how the ingredients could possibly go together
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 10:19:05 AM »
Yeah I can't imagine that kinda thing tasting nice at all. But if it's bearable than maybe it could work. Also people tend to get used to different tastes in drinks more than food, so maybe it's easier that way.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 10:44:37 AM »

Raw veggies taste much better, and theyre much better for you. The only cooked veg I ever eat is caramelized parsnips, sweet potato, and carrots.

I've never tried to caramelize parsnips. They're not that popular where I live, except as a stewing vegetable in the winter. What is your recipe?

You don't eat potatoes or cabbage? :snowman: Where is Schleed when I need commentary on Irish food? :dunno:
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 10:52:25 AM »
Yeah I can't imagine that kinda thing tasting nice at all. But if it's bearable than maybe it could work. Also people tend to get used to different tastes in drinks more than food, so maybe it's easier that way.

True. Be careful how much you drink. Juices contain a lot of sugars.

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 11:00:49 AM »

I've never tried to caramelize parsnips. They're not that popular where I live, except as a stewing vegetable in the winter. What is your recipe?

You don't eat potatoes or cabbage? :snowman: Where is Schleed when I need commentary on Irish food? :dunno:

My recipe? :LOL: :LOL: I cant even cook :laugh:
My aunt cooks it, and I think she might coat them in honey, and then roast them. I really dont have a clue though.
Here's a recipe from someone who does know what they're doing :laugh:

1 1/2 lbs fresh parsnips, sliced in inch-thick strips
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2-3/4 cup chicken broth
Directions:

Step 1
In a large heavy ovenproof frying pan, melt butter over medium heat, and saute parnsnips with salt, pepper, and sugar until lightly brown, about two minutes.
Step 2
Add a half cup of chicken broth and place pan in oven preheated to 350 degrees F for 15 minutes or until tender. If pan juices evaporates add more broth.
Step 3
Serve, seasoned with more pepper.

Read more: <a href="http://www.food.com/recipe/caramelized-roasted-parsnips-213122?oc=linkback">http://www.food.com/recipe/caramelized-roasted-parsnips-213122?oc=linkback</a>

I do eat potatoes, but only roasted, or as chips. Potato wedges are pretty good as well.
I hate cabbage. Unbelievably, they serve it as part of a "lemon chicken and fried rice," in some of the Chinese takeaways around here. Vile :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck: I order a lemon chicken, and open the box, only to find that its a quarter full with shredded cabbage :zombiefuck: :zombiefuck:

And, in some Indian takeaways, they put big full chunks of potato(boiled, I presume) into the Tarka Daal.

Have I ever mentioned that I hate this fucking country :grrr: :grrr: :grrr:

At least I havfinally found a really good Indian, and a pretty good Chinese, but it took me a looong time.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 11:35:05 AM »

At least I havfinally found a really good Indian, and a pretty good Chinese, but it took me a looong time.

I thought you said she was Irish

and you never told us about the other one

you dirty filthy bitch, you ;)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 11:43:26 AM »

I thought you said she was Irish

and you never told us about the other one

you dirty filthy bitch, you ;)

Im such a food slut :vibrator:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
Thanks!

v8?

V8 and V8 Fusion!  I haven't tried V8 Fusion, but it's loaded with veg yet supposedly tastes primarily fruity.  :apondering:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline skyblue1

• Overlooked of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 04:55:35 PM »
Thanks!

v8?

V8 and V8 Fusion!  I haven't tried V8 Fusion, but it's loaded with veg yet supposedly tastes primarily fruity.  :apondering:
Let’s begin with V8′s claims that it is “100% Vegetable Juice”. Too bad their website does not include the ingredient list. Is there something to hide? We found the ingredient elsewhere, and reading it, one can see that, true, all the juice is from vegetables, but there are added ingredients. Here’s the list:

Tomato Juice From Concentrate (Water, Tomato Concentrate), Reconstituted Vegetable Juice Blend (Water and Concentrated Juices of Carrots, Celery, Beets, Parsley, Lettuce, Watercress, Spinach), Salt, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Flavoring, Citric Acid.

The number 1 addition is water! Notice that V8 is from concentrate. This means that the veggies were at one point juiced, but for logistical purposes, the water content was removed. (Same thing happens with orange juice). So you’re not getting freshly juiced vegetables. For all we know the veggies have been stored in refrigerated vats as concentrate for months.

Interesting addition to the list are the salt, vitamin C, and flavorings. A single glass of V8 contains 480mg of sodium, or 20% (!!!) of the daily maximum. Compare to 135mg for a small McDonald’s French Fries, or 290mg for a medium.

Why so much salt you ask? Because it tastes good. There’s a low sodium option with only 140mg, and after you taste it, you’ll understand. But could there be a middle ground, or some attempt to slowly reduce the salt content over time?

The added vitamin C is worth mentioning too. Why would a vitamin rich juice need any additions? Well, vitamin C is one of the mot volatile micronutrients, in a sense that it easily and quickly “evaporates” from fruits and vegetables the moment they are exposed to oxygen. So food processors simply add more. V8 adds a lot more – it contains 120% of the daily value.

The added flavorings are always a riddle. They are trade secrets, and are usually crafted to make a product smell and taste better. So is V8′s great taste to be attributed to the natural veggies, or some laboratory in New Jersey? Most likely a mix of both.

A glance at the nutrition panel shows only 2 grams of fiber, which is really low considering all the fiber rich vegetables that went into the juice. But that’s what happens when you turn a solid into a liquid – lots of the fibrous content is discarded. The sugar count is 8 grams (2 teaspoons), but none has been added, it’s all from the vegetables themselves.

What about the calories? a glass of V8 will set you back only 50 calories. Compare to a glass of orange juice with 120 calories, or soda pop with 90.

As for the other marketing claims – shame on the American Heart Association for endorsing this product. High sodium intake leads to heart problems, and the AHA is actively encouraging people to reduce their consumption. From the AHA website:

High-sodium diets are linked to an increase in blood pressure and a higher risk for heart disease and stroke. Reducing the amount of sodium you consume can help lower high blood pressure or prevent it from developing in the first place. Keeping your blood pressure at healthy levels is important, because high blood pressure can lead to heart attacks or stroke.

The American Heart Association recommends that you choose and prepare foods with little or no salt to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Aim to eat less than 1,500 mg of sodium per day.

So why in the world would the AHA recommend a product that with once glass reached a third of the daily maximum? (hint: Campbell’s, the owner of V8 brand, pays the AHA a hefty sum for each product endorsed.)

As for the “Essential Antioxidants” blurb, it has absolutely no meaning, no way to be verified, and unfortunately misguides shoppers.

Bottom line: V8 may not as bad as soda, but is a far cry from a daily, nurturing habit. The high sodium content is very worrying, and from a veggie perspective, you are better off consuming the real deal, fiber and other fresh nutrients included.

http://blog.fooducate.com/2010/04/27/v8-juice-a-health-scam/