Author Topic: Fuck this spying shit.  (Read 1740 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: Fuck this spying shit.
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2013, 10:58:48 PM »
I always pay with cash in the grocery store. I use a stored-value card for my phone. I have an old Volvo that definitely doesn't have a black box. I live out in the woods.  8)

Don't you have an 850? It does have a kind of a black box, actually.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2013, 11:00:35 PM »
I'm almost positive anything you do on a social website can be monitored by the NSA.

Not everything, not the way the PRISM thing is set up. I could be wrong but it's not what that Snowden chap says.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2013, 03:50:39 AM »
I always pay with cash in the grocery store. I use a stored-value card for my phone. I have an old Volvo that definitely doesn't have a black box. I live out in the woods.  8)

Don't you have an 850? It does have a kind of a black box, actually.

:(

TheoK

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2013, 03:52:45 AM »
The question is rather if it is possible to keep your privacy - using Tor and encryption and avoiding hotmail, gmail etc?

No.

Tor will hide your tracks to some extent but using an email provider will basically make your correspondence available to the provider.

So even if I would use strong encryption the provider would be able to read it anyway? What about One-time pad?

My guess is that it would be difficult to crack.

But I wasn't referring to encrypted messages. I'm talking more about internet traffic in general--I doubt most people will encrypt their email because the recipients would have to have access to the same encryption. Setting up encryption in gmail is probably not as easy as one would like.

What about hushmail etc? I hate the thought that these creeps might be reading my emails.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2013, 08:35:04 AM »
I'm almost positive anything you do on a social website can be monitored by the NSA.

Not everything, not the way the PRISM thing is set up. I could be wrong but it's not what that Snowden chap says.

A lie. See they have the capability of monitoring everything. I mean everything on the network. All calls, imformation attatched to origin and destination of call, content of call, all internet activity. You name it. And they might say, oh sure we have that capability....

But we don't use it. We only use a small part of it, such as duration of calls and phone numbers. You know, like the president was recorded saying for all the world to see. The president can't lie! No president has ever lied, and even if they did, our current president has never been caught in a lie! At least not more than once... twice. Three times max. SERIOUSLY you fuckers need to stop being so critical of king Obama, damn!

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:50:40 AM by RageBeoulve »
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

TheoK

« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2013, 08:49:06 AM »

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2013, 03:18:23 PM »

Misunderstood.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
Misunderstood.

Offline Kapkao

• If it's Godunov for you it's good enough for me
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2013, 04:27:31 PM »

I wasn't talking about just 'PRISM'...

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
Misunderstood.

Offline Kapkao

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2013, 03:54:11 PM »

TheoK

« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2013, 03:55:45 PM »
 :tard:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2013, 03:58:30 PM »
The question is rather if it is possible to keep your privacy - using Tor and encryption and avoiding hotmail, gmail etc?

No.

Tor will hide your tracks to some extent but using an email provider will basically make your correspondence available to the provider.

So even if I would use strong encryption the provider would be able to read it anyway? What about One-time pad?

But I wasn't referring to encrypted messages. I'm talking more about internet traffic in general--I doubt most people will encrypt their email because the recipients would have to have access to the same encryption. Setting up encryption in gmail is probably not as easy as one would like.

What about hushmail etc? I hate the thought that these creeps might be reading my emails.

I honestly don't know.

The debate is a bit skewed, though. What people don't realise is how much information there is to read. The problem is not how to read it, the problem is what to read.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Kapkao

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2013, 04:05:54 PM »

TheoK

« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2013, 04:08:01 PM »

No.

I honestly don't know.

The debate is a bit skewed, though. What people don't realise is how much information there is to read. The problem is not how to read it, the problem is what to read.

You are the computer  :nerdy: here. You ought to know  :orly:

Check out my latest signature  8)