Author Topic: My feral kitten  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
Re: My feral kitten
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2013, 04:09:54 PM »
PS did you know that there are some insane idiots who try to feed their pets a vegetarian diet?

They should be bombarded with ALF propaganda to the point of their conscience never allowing them to own a pet again.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2013, 04:11:41 PM »
PS did you know that there are some insane idiots who try to feed their pets a vegetarian diet?

They should be bombarded with ALF propaganda to the point of their conscience never allowing them to own a pet again.
ALF the cat eating alien?
Misunderstood.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2013, 04:13:02 PM »
:laugh: Yes, that guy.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2013, 04:16:35 PM »
Yes! It's Fester's doppleganger  :zoinks:

He is settling in fine!  The dogs haven't met him.  They have their own housing so it is not something i will be trying out for a while.  I have much experience with dogs but i am just a trainee at cat ownership so i am on dodgy ground.

I am reading up on the pro's and con's of neutering.  Being from a dog show world it is a foreign concept.  Although i can see why it is recommended.

He loves the urchin, especially when he sits on the sofa with his feet hanging over the edge and his toes wriggling  :zoinks:
"i told you to put your slippers on boy"

I'm not a cat/dog relationship expert, but I wouldn't put it off too long.  Maybe rub the dogs down with a towel and let Fester smell it (maybe leave it on the floor for him to explore).  See how he reacts.  Ditto for the dogs learning Fester's scent. 

I imagine cats are put off by dog barking, but having the dogs at the back of your yard will probably desensitize him to the sound somewhat.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline AspieMomma

• Red Headed Stepchild of the Aspie Elite.
  • Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2013, 03:54:58 PM »
Yes! It's Fester's doppleganger  :zoinks:

He is settling in fine!  The dogs haven't met him.  They have their own housing so it is not something i will be trying out for a while.  I have much experience with dogs but i am just a trainee at cat ownership so i am on dodgy ground.

I am reading up on the pro's and con's of neutering.  Being from a dog show world it is a foreign concept.  Although i can see why it is recommended.

He loves the urchin, especially when he sits on the sofa with his feet hanging over the edge and his toes wriggling  :zoinks:
"i told you to put your slippers on boy"

Cats are easier than dogs IMO.  They're just different.

If you have something he can climb and perch on like one of those tower carpeted structures he will be very happy.  Don't buy one in a brick-and-mortar store, they're a lot cheaper online.  A bird feeder in the window will entertain him for hours.  You don't need expensive toys.  My cat prefers my ponytail ties over any of her other toys. 

Catnip is HILARIOUS.  :LOL:

Some cats need more than one litter pan or they go all over the floor.  If he's having accidents try moving the pan or getting a second one.  My cat wouldn't go in the basement so I moved her pan upstairs.  She didn't have any accidents after that.  Spoiled brat cat!  :P

They barf a lot.  It doesn't necessarily mean they're sick, just gluttonous.

You can train him to use the toilet if you want.  It is kind of a pain and it doesn't always work, though. 

Glad it is going well.  :)   

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2013, 06:50:29 AM »
Kittens often do not react on catnip. When they get older, most cats will though. If catnip isn't their drug, valerian probably will be.

Great to use if you want to learn your cat only to scratch on appropriate places, and just fun to see a cat play with something smelling of catnip.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline AspieMomma

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2013, 07:05:28 AM »
Kittens often do not react on catnip. When they get older, most cats will though. If catnip isn't their drug, valerian probably will be.

Great to use if you want to learn your cat only to scratch on appropriate places, and just fun to see a cat play with something smelling of catnip.

:orly: Didn't know that about kittens and catnip.  I haven't had a kitten since I was five.  Never tried valerian.

I'd love to get another cat but I think my little Amy would kill me in my sleep if I did.  She's a bit of an attention whore.  If she can't find me she goes around the house yowling, and I swear it sounds like she's saying, "Mom! Mom! MAAAAAAWM!!!" 

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2013, 07:08:12 AM »

:orly: Didn't know that about kittens and catnip.  I haven't had a kitten since I was five.  Never tried valerian.

I'd love to get another cat but I think my little Amy would kill me in my sleep if I did.  She's a bit of an attention whore.  If she can't find me she goes around the house yowling, and I swear it sounds like she's saying, "Mom! Mom! MAAAAAAWM!!!"

Get her a cat who really, really loves to cuddle, and who likes kids. She may go attention whoring the cat then, and give you a bit more time on your hands. (That is, if she is beyond the stage of not knowing how to treat a cat right.)

Offline AspieMomma

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #98 on: June 19, 2013, 07:13:36 AM »

Get her a cat who really, really loves to cuddle, and who likes kids. She may go attention whoring the cat then, and give you a bit more time on your hands. (That is, if she is beyond the stage of not knowing how to treat a cat right.)

I'm not sure.  She had kittens a few months before we adopted her.  I think that was last fall.  Before that she was in a shelter with other cats. 

The kids want a dog, but I don't know.  They didn't really care for our last dog. 

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #99 on: June 19, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »

I'm not sure.  She had kittens a few months before we adopted her.  I think that was last fall.  Before that she was in a shelter with other cats. 

The kids want a dog, but I don't know.  They didn't really care for our last dog.
:laugh:

Amy is your cat, I thought it was the name of your daughter.

Is she allowed to be outside?  (The cat, I mean)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:39:35 PM by hykeaswell »

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2013, 02:47:57 PM »
Fester is very good at going in his litter tray. 

He is coming on a treat.  Instances of him hiding and running away when you get close to him are fewer and fewer.  Last night i was lying on the sofa and he curled up in the little space behind where my knees were.

He is very adorable and it is so lovely to see him get some confidence.

He has a catnip toy but doesn't bother with it that much.  He loves his wind up white mouse.  He loves playing with a kiddies fake plastic golf ball in my drawer.

I loves him. 
blah blah blah

Offline AspieMomma

• Elder
  • Intense Poster
« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2013, 05:38:52 PM »

He is coming on a treat.  Instances of him hiding and running away when you get close to him are fewer and fewer.  Last night i was lying on the sofa and he curled up in the little space behind where my knees were.

He has a catnip toy but doesn't bother with it that much.  He loves his wind up white mouse.  He loves playing with a kiddies fake plastic golf ball in my drawer.

I loves him.

Aww, yay!   :)

P7PSP

« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2013, 06:01:59 PM »

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »

I loves him.

when our cats were kittens every time they got a treat I did a distinctive whistle sound.  When they were older and outside they would come when I whistled.  Sure beat yelling and being ignored.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #104 on: July 12, 2013, 10:23:26 PM »
How is Fester doing?