Author Topic: Religious fundamentalism Cureable  (Read 847 times)

P7PSP

Re: Religious fundamentalism Cureable
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2013, 12:15:00 PM »
People can think, believe or say what ever they want I am concerned with actions yes the article talks about getting rid of beliefs but what of those that do harm to others because of them?  Would it be better to just line the offenders up and shoot them or alter their beliefs concerning harming others?  I am looking at it more from the slant of stopping further harm by people who have already caused it and been convicted of it not as a wholesale lets get rid of the fundies or make people vote a certain way.
As Gareth stated if the actions concern you than punish them for what they DO. But you did not post an article about crime and punishment. You posted an article about definiong religious fundamentalism as mental illness. As far as your assertion about the beliefs of those who do harm Parts tell me about the successful efforts to rehabilitate habitual criminals, gang members, serial murderers, pedophiles. How well have those worked out?

Decidedly it is much easier to let go and let god.  Go to church and have a pastor interpret gods good word.  Whatch the televangelists and tell me how to vote.

Yes, the brainwashed are free to make informed choices. Yes free.
Or you can read your Union voting guide and allow the Union to decide who you vote for. People are free to join churches. People are free to leave churches. People are free to determine what they consider their best interest to be.

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2013, 01:26:08 PM »
People can think, believe or say what ever they want I am concerned with actions yes the article talks about getting rid of beliefs but what of those that do harm to others because of them?  Would it be better to just line the offenders up and shoot them or alter their beliefs concerning harming others?  I am looking at it more from the slant of stopping further harm by people who have already caused it and been convicted of it not as a wholesale lets get rid of the fundies or make people vote a certain way.
As Gareth stated if the actions concern you than punish them for what they DO. But you did not post an article about crime and punishment. You posted an article about definiong religious fundamentalism as mental illness. As far as your assertion about the beliefs of those who do harm Parts tell me about the successful efforts to rehabilitate habitual criminals, gang members, serial murderers, pedophiles. How well have those worked out?

Decidedly it is much easier to let go and let god.  Go to church and have a pastor interpret gods good word.  Whatch the televangelists and tell me how to vote.

Or you can read your Union voting guide and allow the Union to decide who you vote for. People are free to join churches. People are free to leave churches. People are free to determine what they consider their best interest to be.
it is impossible to refute the logic.
Misunderstood.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2013, 01:26:42 PM »

They have not worked out very well unless the person wanted it to, this could make them want it too.  I feel it would be worth a shot as I am opposed to the death penalty.   
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2013, 08:30:38 PM »
The only possible cure for such a ubiquitous infection is most certainly a global cleansing fire.

A friend of mine refers to such disasters as  "God's little pruning shears."  :zoinks:

Yes, madam, It's in long ago foretold in the dark depths of the old testament; the end of religion.
:gopher:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2013, 01:54:02 PM »
If we could "cure" some of the sicknesses/deficits/mental illnesses/etc that make people more likely to be fundies, that would certainly be super.  That could conceivably be done on an individual level, but would also need to be done on a societal level.  It wouldn't necessarily be targeting religion.  Reducing psychosis, paranoia and extreme obsessiveness, for example, could conceivably reduce religiosity- but would, of course, be fought by the systems outside the individual.  In general, finding ways to reduce psychosis/paranoia/obsessiveness/etc are certainly worthwhile goals, and we're still not all that great at any of them, quite frankly.

Religion often provides people with a support system, and often provides them with a sense of hope.  Ripping that away without giving something else to replace it would, in some cases, be needlessly devastating.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

TheoK

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 01:58:03 PM »
Meh, if they kill themselves because they don't believe in God anymore - good riddance!  :thumbdn: