Educational

Author Topic: "Unfit fot work- The startling rise of disability in America"  (Read 4211 times)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • Do me.
Re: "Unfit fot work- The startling rise of disability in America"
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2013, 08:20:27 AM »
I think I'm sick of everything being an either-or between conservative and liberal. Name specific issues.

Me too,  I think most people are somewhere in the middle
I would agree if this weren't 2013.  I think most democrats are fairly centrist on most issues.  But I believe that most republicans are very conservative. 
Mitt Ronmey (gfy, mitt) is a perfect example of this.  Before he ran for president he was actually a moderate republican on issues of health care, abortion, social safety net, etc.  but in order for him to make it out of the primaries he had to run to the right of all his opponents on many issues.  Blame rush and fox for the uber conservatism. 

Specific issues....disability insurance is a good start!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 12:06:56 PM by McMorrison »
Misunderstood.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2013, 08:45:30 AM »
I think I'm sick of everything being an either-or between conservative and liberal. Name specific issues.

Fuck political parties. I think we should just do what needs doing. That's all.
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2013, 08:49:26 AM »

Fuck political parties. I think we should just do what needs doing. That's all.
they both turn a blind eye to the abuses of the donor class ( rich who donate to campaigns) and cater to their special interests to be certain.
Our current system cannot be reformed.  Time to throw bricks?
Misunderstood.

Offline RageBeoulve

• Super sand nigger
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2013, 08:50:51 AM »
I'd rather throw lead down range. With an ASSAULT WEAPON. :eyebrows:
"I’m fearless in my heart.
They will always see that in my eyes.
I am the passion; I am the warfare.
I will never stop...
always constant, accurate, and intense."

- Steve Vai, "The Audience is Listening"

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2013, 09:31:27 AM »
I really know that I do not have an opinion of any value really, on the basis that I am Aussie and therefore not subject to the political system in america in any meaningful way, nor do I have access to the media.

BUT......Here is a layman's take on it.

The way I see it, The republican/Conservatives are sterotypically either the traditional values set or the gold ole boys.
The Liberals/Democrats are stereotypically the cultural, cappuccino sipping, internet savvy, intellectual, yuppies and such.

I think there is a real war in America's hearts and minds these days with the things that they value as Americans and the things that they value as global citizens. Yes Americans tended to flock to America originally to escape persecution and become independent and forge a superpower in the next 200-300 years. Therefore they are likely to hold onto those values that got them there. The belief in God, the belief in the sovereignty of America, the xenophobia and unwillingness to consider outsiders ways. These base traditional values basically encapsulate the Conservative mindset.

I do understand this mindset. My parent are 7 generation Aussies from Rural South West Australia. On townships of less than 1000 people. I know these values well.  (Just replace "American" for "Australian" or even said township)

The problem is, the fact that the bible values over time are not as set in stone absolute yardsticks they once were and people CAN and DO question the validity of what they are told. The ignorance from the isolationist values are exposed in facebook, twitter and the internet in general and it exposes said ignorance (Before any Americans want to try to go me for calling Americans stupid, I did not say that, I referenced the word ignorant) and the thing is, ignorant people will learn.
So So now you have the numbers of isolationist, god fearing traditional value American who would happily put into the vice Presidency a Alaskan Soccer Mom who is as ignorant as all fuck but towing a comfortable traditional value platform, BUT most will not tolerate that. The numbers of intellectual, open minded, educated, Americans who are prepared to question the what and whos that they are, and prepared to not just tow the line, will actually say, "No, she is a simpleton and we need more than Guns and Apple Pie to make us Global citizens". Simply put the ignorant Americans are in the decline and are running out of ammunition to intellectual defend any attacks from sophisticated attacks from fellow American that are not based on close minded and ignorant belief set. They are now receding into a dwindling minority

I see a decline in Fox and in Conservative strength. Chase Carey will take over Fox News on his Rupert's retirement. By the time Chase Carey  I predict that the Fox News channel's rating will be only rating 3 or 4 instead of 1. I see the gradual trend against the establishment and the traditional values and the shock and fear tactics of the government to enforce servitude in America. No grand revolutions, just a gradual shift. It is not be welcome to all.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »
I'm told being morbidly obese is a disability. IMO those lazy pigs should be killed and harvested for their blubber.

As someone who is morbidly obese I agree that it is a disability.  It can be a form of OCD or a response to another emotional disorder.  It does limit my life and while I try to lose weight, it's not as simple as turning off a switch.  Although I don't have any statistics on hand to cite, I believe the success rate in losing and keeping off weight is smaller than the success rate for stopping a drug addiction.

You IRL or Queen Victoria? I know that later in life Queenie had a 50+ inch waist as a pair of her pants survive to this day. Also she was 5ft nothing so must have been almost spherical.

See my response in the Blowing Off Steam Thread. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2013, 10:06:50 AM »
I'm told being morbidly obese is a disability. IMO those lazy pigs should be killed and harvested for their blubber.

As someone who is morbidly obese I agree that it is a disability.  It can be a form of OCD or a response to another emotional disorder.  It does limit my life and while I try to lose weight, it's not as simple as turning off a switch.  Although I don't have any statistics on hand to cite, I believe the success rate in losing and keeping off weight is smaller than the success rate for stopping a drug addiction.
Food is such a problem, compared to other drugs, because a zero intake policy is not an option.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2013, 10:09:11 AM »

You IRL or Queen Victoria? I know that later in life Queenie had a 50+ inch waist as a pair of her pants survive to this day. Also she was 5ft nothing so must have been almost spherical.

El-Presidente is not there yet.

Offline El-Presidente

• Caliph of the Aspie Elite
  • Modulator
  • Postwhore
  • I love kitties! Fluffy kitties are nice!!
    • ASD Community
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2013, 10:13:12 AM »

How do I get there oh bovine one?

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2013, 11:55:10 AM »

It's also often a result of the side effects of medication that one is on.  Think how freaking medicated America is.  It can also be the result of other medical issues.  Or something that happens as the result of injury and/or chronic pain- which then becomes an unfortunate trap with things like back pain and joint pain.

There's other factors, obviously:  More sedentary lives, less free time, etc.  Also the less money you have, the harder it is to eat healthy, and the harder it is to get access to things like gyms or good exercise equipment.  For some people who've been victimized, it makes them feel *safer* to be heavier.  And for some people, food is about the only pleasure or comfort they have in their lives.

But hey, why think about the issues.  It's much easier to just ay "Those fat fucks should eat less and move around more."  Same as "The fucking hoboes should all go get fucking jobs."   ::)
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2013, 11:57:16 AM »

How do I get there oh bovine one?

Your fate is in the hands of the whimsical and wise members of this site.

All you can do is post, behave, and, on CBC's behalf, attend mass.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »
I really know that I do not have an opinion of any value really, on the basis that I am Aussie and therefore not subject to the political system in america in any meaningful way, nor do I have access to the media.

The way I see it, The republican/Conservatives are sterotypically either the traditional values set or the gold ole boys.
The Liberals/Democrats are stereotypically the cultural, cappuccino sipping, internet savvy, intellectual, yuppies and such.

I think there is a real war in America's hearts and minds these days with the things that they value as Americans and the things that they value as global citizens. Yes Americans tended to flock to America originally to escape persecution and become independent and forge a superpower in the next 200-300 years. Therefore they are likely to hold onto those values that got them there. The belief in God, the belief in the sovereignty of America, the xenophobia and unwillingness to consider outsiders ways. These base traditional values basically encapsulate the Conservative mindset.

I do understand this mindset. My parent are 7 generation Aussies from Rural South West Australia. On townships of less than 1000 people. I know these values well.  (Just replace "American" for "Australian" or even said township)

The problem is, the fact that the bible values over time are not as set in stone absolute yardsticks they once were and people CAN and DO question the validity of what they are told. The ignorance from the isolationist values are exposed in facebook, twitter and the internet in general and it exposes said ignorance (Before any Americans want to try to go me for calling Americans stupid, I did not say that, I referenced the word ignorant) and the thing is, ignorant people will learn.
So So now you have the numbers of isolationist, god fearing traditional value American who would happily put into the vice Presidency a Alaskan Soccer Mom who is as ignorant as all fuck but towing a comfortable traditional value platform, BUT most will not tolerate that. The numbers of intellectual, open minded, educated, Americans who are prepared to question the what and whos that they are, and prepared to not just tow the line, will actually say, "No, she is a simpleton and we need more than Guns and Apple Pie to make us Global citizens". Simply put the ignorant Americans are in the decline and are running out of ammunition to intellectual defend any attacks from sophisticated attacks from fellow American that are not based on close minded and ignorant belief set. They are now receding into a dwindling minority

I see a decline in Fox and in Conservative strength. Chase Carey will take over Fox News on his Rupert's retirement. By the time Chase Carey  I predict that the Fox News channel's rating will be only rating 3 or 4 instead of 1. I see the gradual trend against the establishment and the traditional values and the shock and fear tactics of the government to enforce servitude in America. No grand revolutions, just a gradual shift. It is not be welcome to all.
I'd agree that seems at least likely- and lovely- if I wasn't so worried that we'd end up hitting a tipping point before that's possible.

Another thing that might end up making a difference is the simple issue of *time.*  Look at the ages of some of the crazier politicians (as well as the politicians in general.  A lot of political issues aren't just conservative vs. republican issues; they're also generational ones (gay marriage is a very "current" and also a good/prime example). 

A lot are also geographic.  Damn, am I glad I don't live in the deep south.  What state you live in definitely effects what kinds of people and information you're inundated with.

I'd rather throw lead down range. With an ASSAULT WEAPON. :eyebrows:
That's swift, Rage.  Please, post that in every thread you have time to post it in until the forum goes under government surveillance.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2013, 12:22:10 PM »

I'd agree that seems at least likely- and lovely- if I wasn't so worried that we'd end up hitting a tipping point before that's possible.

Another thing that might end up making a difference is the simple issue of *time.*  Look at the ages of some of the crazier politicians (as well as the politicians in general.  A lot of political issues aren't just conservative vs. republican issues; they're also generational ones (gay marriage is a very "current" and also a good/prime example). 

A lot are also geographic.  Damn, am I glad I don't live in the deep south.  What state you live in definitely effects what kinds of people and information you're inundated with.

The Patriot laws and associated mindset around this - less citizen rights more government control - is the biggest problem in America at the moment. The powers that be really ought to pull their heads in.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2013, 12:24:47 PM »

Your Majesty, were I in your glorious presence I would give you big hugs. JSYK :)

Offline McGiver

• Hetero sexist tragedy
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Do me.
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2013, 12:26:32 PM »
Or the voters vote more responsibly
I suggest that they educate themselves, stop allowing fear and bigotry to motivate them.  And don't vote down party lines because your church, union, parents or someone else tells you that you identify with a certain party.
Misunderstood.