Educational

Author Topic: Welsh Government test drugs for free  (Read 280 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Welsh Government test drugs for free
« on: February 06, 2014, 03:59:11 PM »
www.wedinos.org

The wedinos project  (Welsh Emerging Drugs & Identification of Novel Substances)  is a controversial project where anyone in Wales can submit a sample of a drug and have it analysed for free. 

It works like this:  You get a reference number from the site by entering your postcode.  You send your sample anonymously.  The results are then posted on the website under that reference number.  You are then armed with accurate information and can then go and kill your 'dealer' for supplying you with dog worming tablets!  :viking:

The project has faced much criticism.  Most opposing arguments are centred around not wanting to be seen to encourage drug taking.

My view is it is time to look at new ways to prevent people from dying of an O/D or getting poisoned.  It could save lives.   It is a little kick up the arse to the dealers who already enjoy fat tax free profits whilst not having to adhere to any code of conduct.

I doubt it will increase the numbers of drug addicts.  It might save a few lives.  It is a  :thumbup:

blah blah blah

P7PSP

Re: Welsh Government test drugs for free
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 04:20:34 PM »
There used to be a donation funded lab that did that in San Francisco. I don't know if they are still in business. Considering what contaminates in fentanyls can do to users I think it is a good idea.

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 04:44:57 PM »
On a visit to Amsterdam I noticed they were testing drugs for a small fee in the bars and the clubs.
blah blah blah

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 05:15:32 PM »
Can addicts really wait for the results of these tests?  I'm not sure they can plan and buy 3 weeks (or whatever) ahead before taking a drug.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 07:55:19 PM »
Wish we had this locally.  Feel a little more strongly about this since I had a couple of clients very likely OD awhile back on what was very likely the same or a related strain of bad or over-potent heroin that was going around.  Dunno if it would have helped them, specifically, but every now and again there'll be a rash of overdoses, the local methadone clinic will start warning its clients, etc.  Us therapists will, too, if we know about it, though the company can't post anything official unless we know something official (HAN from the CDC, I think?).  One actually might be coming around again, actually, or may have recently.  God it sucks.  Fucking sucks.  :/
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 12:03:03 AM »
Can addicts really wait for the results of these tests?  I'm not sure they can plan and buy 3 weeks (or whatever) ahead before taking a drug.
Lots of xtc users, and coke users could wait that long, using it only on certain parties, but, will they wait that long, that I wondered about too.
On a visit to Amsterdam I noticed they were testing drugs for a small fee in the bars and the clubs.
Big festivals had that too, immediate test results, less emergencies.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 01:15:14 AM »

I have checked the website and the samples they received on 5th Feb were online the same day or the next day.  They tell you not to knowingly post illegal drugs (Royal Mail - not allowed) but you can drop it into their centre.  It seems if you do this in the morning you are getting a same day or next day service.
blah blah blah

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 01:20:34 AM »
Wish we had this locally.  Feel a little more strongly about this since I had a couple of clients very likely OD awhile back on what was very likely the same or a related strain of bad or over-potent heroin that was going around.  Dunno if it would have helped them, specifically, but every now and again there'll be a rash of overdoses, the local methadone clinic will start warning its clients, etc.  Us therapists will, too, if we know about it, though the company can't post anything official unless we know something official (HAN from the CDC, I think?).  One actually might be coming around again, actually, or may have recently.  God it sucks.  Fucking sucks.  :/

The project was requested by drug workers and therapists.  It is targeted at them to send samples to assist their clients.  Although it is also free for anyone to use.

I think many parts of England would benefit from this service too.  Wales has it's own government who are funding this.  I can't see our Tory government doing same.

A good idea, though.
blah blah blah

Offline bodie

• News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 01:21:43 AM »
Lots of xtc users, and coke users could wait that long, using it only on certain parties, but, will they wait that long, that I wondered about too.
Big festivals had that too, immediate test results, less emergencies.

The RAVE days  :dance:
blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 01:51:18 AM »
Just checked on Dutch testing. The official testing thing does test for free, but it will take a week before you will get the full lab report. And, at the moment they are not doing tests on GHB, because it takes longer to test and they got flooded with samples.
GHB seems to be the drug, lately, when it comes to both popularity and problems.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 01:57:18 AM »
There are still quick tests too, but they only give an indication, based on acidity, size, looks and knowledge on batches of pills around lately.

Offline Semicolon

• The Punctuated Equilibrium Of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I am an echolalic mastodon.
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 06:51:13 AM »
Here is a related story.
I2 has a smiley for everything. Even a hamster wheel. :hamsterwheel:

Quote from: iamnotaparakeet
Jesus died on the cross to show us that BDSM is a legitimate form of love.
There is only one truth and it is that people do have penises of different sizes and one of them is the longest.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, 09:15:06 AM »
I know someone now sitting in rehab that got a hold of one of those fentanyl laced packs. She's just lucky they found her while she was still breathing.

Shit is all over around here anymore, we need something like this. Although I bet many wouldn't use it...they get it from a friend or a boyfriend who they "trust"...but it's where that friend got it from that matters.