Author Topic: Land dispute: US vs Onondaga for New York state  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: Land dispute: US vs Onondaga for New York state
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2013, 03:17:52 AM »
I should add, what I say regarding facts is in response to the questions about specifica claims and issues. In other words, with regards to specific issues, don't expect your opinion to be helpful or valid without proper information. I also mentioned, asking questions to find out facts and hear a POV does no harm.

On the other hand, with regards to the social, moral, or procedural points concerning the collecting, discussing, or sharing of such facts and POVs, thats a debate anyone and everyone can probably join into. Just wanted to make that distinction in case someone thinks I am saying "well you can't have this conversation because you don't know enough", because that's not what I am meaning to say.

This is horribly condescending SG and I am not sure that you don't mean it to be.

Stop it.

You are a smart guy and a passionate guy. That I will not question but you are essentially going school teacher on us in a way that one of the members GA used to and it is arrogant and uncalled for. Do not pretend for a moment that you are the font of knowledge and we uniformed, unread, ignorant, stupid or unreasoned.

You have one opinion and there are many here. Your opinion is not better than others. Don't think to infer we ought to go off and read this or that and come back with an educated POV to debate with you.

On top of your Nazi comment, this looks REALLY bad and is shooting the credibility of your words to shit. C'mon mate.
You are better than this.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2013, 05:56:02 AM »
Do Australians have a claim against the British for exiling them from their homes forcibly?

Can you let me know this? If so, what claim and against who and for what?

I have aboriginal blood, therefore what ought the government give me and why?

I can pose a number of similar questions but these are obviously more pertinent to me. But I can take it back and back. You can say it is not the same and it is not. BUT the things that separate one from another is likely to be semantics. Yes we can find more examples and slowly make every instance of this kind of thing related to another and in the end it would mean that all of us would have been stolen from and have stolen off, even though we didn't personally do this, and we all give and take back. It would be a mess. 

I know you are saying  "yes but it requires a paradigm shift" No really it doesn't. It requires that you accept people have a right to a very different belief than you and that they do not have to think differently and that by thinking differently they are not wrong, bigoted, intolerant, uneducated or not sensible. You know this right? If not, you are being intolerant.

Why do I feel saying that everyone has been wronged detracts from the issue at hand? We could go on and on discussing different wrongednesses (and I would enjoy that conversation), but in relation to the OP, I don't want that to be an excuse to forget all about the situation at hand. Is this really how things are thought to get done?

I am more interested in looking at the current problem and figuring out how we can prevent further harm. That requires understanding that oppression and genocide don't just go away because new children were born. yeah right, if that was so we could really say "time heals all wounds", but that is clearly not the case.

As for your specific examples (aboriginal blood, British exile), I suggest you look into those things yourself. I don't know much about Australian history, and I'm not about to speak for aboriginal peoples, you can find their various points of view online. You can also look up the UN declaration of the rights of Indigenous peoples and see if Australia adheres. Once you have facts, and look at them with a clear head then you can be in the position to enter a philosophical debate about what questions to ask.

Thanks for the suggestions. This had been done before I raised the question. Thank you though. I mean thank you for being helpful enough to set up a series of steps I have to pass before I am deemed reasoned and of education enough to be able to hold a decent position on this subject.

Again you are being condescending and patronising and more than a little arrogant. Cut that shit out.

The Australian Aboriginals are not unlike the Native Americans in respect to the history of subjugation and invasion. They like the Native Americans were an indigenous tribal people. They were hunter gatherers and a Patriarchal society with Elders passing down knowledge to the young. The land was spiritually connected to the people. They believed in Dreamtime and spirits (good and bad) associated with particular locations.

Pretty much every effort to destroy their culture was thrust onto them by Early settlers. These practices continued on and on.
Settlers shot them on sight for being on "their land". They cheated them. They stole from them. They developed their sacred places into farmland or housing. They took their children off them and placed them in missions to break up the family relationships and teach them God. They plied the Elders with grog until they could no longer care about their culture. They spread disease through the tribes. They poisoned their well and often massacred them. They either put them in communes or bought them away from the bush and into the city areas to work for them and usually underpaid them if at all. They also tried to breed them out (which needs no explanation)

Effectively they took a wrecking ball to their culture. Most aboriginal kids do not know their sacred sites nor the legends of their people. They have few if any role models. Their health and life expectancy is alarming ( yes as expressed by UN). They are jail at a rate in population that is massive. Education is generally remedial and unemployment rate huge

For the most part apart from a few lucky communities, the culture is irretrievably lost.

However even with this there are still many aboriginal activists. Mostly I do not have the time of day for them and consider most of them full of self-importance, hot air and using their positions of power to get a bit of fame and pay before they die.
Mostly. I REALLY like Noel Pearson and Tania Major. They talk the talk and walk the walk and do not do anything less than everything they can do for their people. It is probably not nearly enough but it IS having big impacts in their communities and for Aboriginals as a whole.

I know my shit SG. It was an ignorant position you took suggesting I and others here don't and are not able to take part in your debate unless you believe they meet your standards of intellect, foreknowledge or morality to venture their opinions.

I will say it again. People holding different perspectives does not make them immoral, bigoted, racist, intolerant, Nazis, unreasoned, unintelligent, uneducated or any bloody other thing. Do not be throwing this about.

That's the problem, people take the little understanding of an issue that they have, and then assert some sort of opinion feeling that it will be validated even if its based on false information. That's like bringing a bunch of men around who never experienced harassment and only know of women being raped who had short skirts and were drunk and seductive, and then sitting the men down to chat (w/o a moderator) the ethics and laws and concerns relating to the protection of women and prosecution of rapists.

Does that sound like a reasonable course of action to take if the goal is to prevent future harm of women and lenient prosecution of rapists?

Does it sound like a reasonable analogy to compare people saying: that the Land Usage rights stolen of the Native American tribal community by non-Americans, generations ago is not easily given back to the descendants of the people it was stolen off; to a lot of morally challenged and bigoted men talking about rape?

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

So by this analogy....let me guess? Anyone who is not as wise and educated as you believe you are is unable to hold a moral position, nor make an informed choice and is bigoted (at best) because of their ignorance.

How about....no? You are completely wrong and I suspect you are either:

1) Completely misreading everything you are reading to get such and ignorant, uninformed, and bigoted standpoint
2) You have stopped reading and just want a platform to moralise and talk others down. Like a Zealous Christian Fundamentalist.
3) You are deliberately trolling for a rise from us
4) You are fucking stupid.

Sorry there is not really too many options, are there?

Now if there was someone more knowledgable about the issues at hand who had something to say, to disagree, I am HAPPY OVERJOYED ECSTATIC because a productive conversation can emerge. And if one doesn't know about the issue, the natural gesture ought to be to ask and listen, and then formulate an opinion based on real facts, real statements, and real history...even if it's very little, its better than nothing.

Here is a question.

Why ought we even try and humour or share with you...with this shitful attitude you have adopted in this thread. You seem ignorant of anyone's position but your own (and it does not look like you have really thought through your own positions), you are being arrogant, condescending, patronising, you seem to place a more moral/educated/informed/reasonable/rational viewpoint than others and you have seemingly no position to respect.

Why should anyone here visit your threads or give you the time of day with this current disrespectful attitude?

I don't know what has come over you SG but you should really drop the attitude and back the fuck up. If you can not post a thread to discuss something without spending the thread railing on the membership then don't start the stupid fucking thread in the first place.

Expected better from you, of all people.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2013, 10:59:39 AM »
:popcorn:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • This chicken is Insured.
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2013, 03:23:20 PM »
Will be back after a brief commercial break.

Btw, I wasn't meaning to be condescending. It's just a fact, you wouldn't want a bunch auspeaks people without asperger's and whose only knowledge of the subject to be that we are dangerous, trapped, and in need of training to be sitting around discussing what is appropriate treatment for us, and what is criminal.

Anything coming out of their mouths however opinionated, is based on lies, and therefore either supports a certain status quo, or detracts from actually helping us.

But, I have to return later and give you a fuller reply...

Commercials:
Can't you guys even just imagine it?

Forget practicality, or your experience....can you just....imagine?

It's there. It always was.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2013, 04:22:29 PM »
I should add, what I say regarding facts is in response to the questions about specifica claims and issues. In other words, with regards to specific issues, don't expect your opinion to be helpful or valid without proper information. I also mentioned, asking questions to find out facts and hear a POV does no harm.

On the other hand, with regards to the social, moral, or procedural points concerning the collecting, discussing, or sharing of such facts and POVs, thats a debate anyone and everyone can probably join into. Just wanted to make that distinction in case someone thinks I am saying "well you can't have this conversation because you don't know enough", because that's not what I am meaning to say.

This is horribly condescending SG and I am not sure that you don't mean it to be.

Stop it.

You are a smart guy and a passionate guy. That I will not question but you are essentially going school teacher on us in a way that one of the members GA used to and it is arrogant and uncalled for. Do not pretend for a moment that you are the font of knowledge and we uniformed, unread, ignorant, stupid or unreasoned.

No that's not what I am saying. You and others were wondering why Parts' comment was considered ignorant by me. It is something repeatedly brought up that it is not ignorant, and he is entitled to his opinion, and so forth.

I am trying to explain why that comment was indeed ignorant, and why it is not helpful. I was also trying to explain that that very attitude seems to permeate the political arena, where decisions are made and public opinion is influenced. I was trying to point out that we are not getting anywhere constantly talking and talking, believing everyone's opinion is valid with regards to issues they are misinformed, or uninformed about. In general this is an issue we struggle with, in USA, in Canada...anywhere where there is a majority making decisions about a minority's experience.

I believe it's a bad habit we ((as a society)) have, so I do admit I get into a school teacher tone, but it's not to be condescending... I am just trying to affect a paradigm shift... it's not going very well though, obviously I need to change my approach, I am hoping this conversation will help me with that.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 04:53:45 PM by sg1008 »

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2013, 04:42:09 PM »
Not that the analogy is better at describing the differences of opinions than the revolting rape case analogy. At every point and turn you are saying the same thing over and over in different ways . You are no better for holding your positions than others are for holding theirs. You are not more reasoned nor moral. Until you reframe this and drop the......bigoted beliefs (I am sorry I have to call it like it is. Not necessarily racist but you are.being bigoted against the membership) and start thinking through what they are saying and why (no they are. not being uninformed, bigoted, or holding a morally corrupt position - look deeper), you will continue to misread what is before you and insult the membership and though they are a fairly easy going bunch, they will likely not give you the time of day.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2013, 04:46:49 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. This had been done before I raised the question. Thank you though. I mean thank you for being helpful enough to set up a series of steps I have to pass before I am deemed reasoned and of education enough to be able to hold a decent position on this subject.

Again you are being condescending and patronising and more than a little arrogant. Cut that shit out.

The Australian Aboriginals are not unlike the Native Americans in respect to the history of subjugation and invasion. They like the Native Americans were an indigenous tribal people. They were hunter gatherers and a Patriarchal society with Elders passing down knowledge to the young. The land was spiritually connected to the people. They believed in Dreamtime and spirits (good and bad) associated with particular locations.

Pretty much every effort to destroy their culture was thrust onto them by Early settlers. These practices continued on and on.
Settlers shot them on sight for being on "their land". They cheated them. They stole from them. They developed their sacred places into farmland or housing. They took their children off them and placed them in missions to break up the family relationships and teach them God. They plied the Elders with grog until they could no longer care about their culture. They spread disease through the tribes. They poisoned their well and often massacred them. They either put them in communes or bought them away from the bush and into the city areas to work for them and usually underpaid them if at all. They also tried to breed them out (which needs no explanation)

Effectively they took a wrecking ball to their culture. Most aboriginal kids do not know their sacred sites nor the legends of their people. They have few if any role models. Their health and life expectancy is alarming ( yes as expressed by UN). They are jail at a rate in population that is massive. Education is generally remedial and unemployment rate huge

For the most part apart from a few lucky communities, the culture is irretrievably lost.

However even with this there are still many aboriginal activists. Mostly I do not have the time of day for them and consider most of them full of self-importance, hot air and using their positions of power to get a bit of fame and pay before they die.
Mostly. I REALLY like Noel Pearson and Tania Major. They talk the talk and walk the walk and do not do anything less than everything they can do for their people. It is probably not nearly enough but it IS having big impacts in their communities and for Aboriginals as a whole.

I know my shit SG. It was an ignorant position you took suggesting I and others here don't and are not able to take part in your debate unless you believe they meet your standards of intellect, foreknowledge or morality to venture their opinions.

I will say it again. People holding different perspectives does not make them immoral, bigoted, racist, intolerant, Nazis, unreasoned, unintelligent, uneducated or any bloody other thing. Do not be throwing this about.

The suggestions were not expressed to be condescending, they were part of my answer to the questions you gave. If anyone asks me a bunch of questions about claims of which I have no expressed prior knowledge, I would suggest looking more into the issues to understand the different angles expressed. Because, as I mentioned, anything I say will likely be based on false information and wouldn't be helpful for debate, and therefore I would be overreaching. I could give a general answer though, (it's sort of the same thing I was saying, but from a different vantage point). It would be:

In general, one cannot presume to dictate was another group's experience has been, or what they need in order to heal from it. If they express that they need sovereignty and land to live on, it is something that ought to be heard and considered remembering that they are underdogs. Then, bring your own experience to the table. Say it point blank, you're afraid of loosing your land (even if your forefathers stole it), you're afraid they will divide the country, you're concerned about this and that....

That's valid. But what is usually done is, an indigenous nation says they want sovereignty and land to live freely on, and the colonial nation says, well sorry our concerns are more important, we believe your experience is actually this (based on false information and stereotypes), we won't have a discussion because we know that you can only heal if you just assimilate and get over the past.

And thus, the problems continue, and so does the oppression. Now, addressing the specific issues of the different aboriginal peoples in australia, I don't know. I would have to research. I do know that mining activities and development threaten a lot of scared site. But I cannot speak more on that.

Does it sound like a reasonable analogy to compare people saying: that the Land Usage rights stolen of the Native American tribal community by non-Americans, generations ago is not easily given back to the descendants of the people it was stolen off; to a lot of morally challenged and bigoted men talking about rape?

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

No. Seems like a valid analogy of a group unfamiliar with/misinformed about another groups plight, making assertions about them and their experience.

So by this analogy....let me guess? Anyone who is not as wise and educated as you believe you are is unable to hold a moral position, nor make an informed choice and is bigoted (at best) because of their ignorance.

No that's not what I said. First, I don't assume to be super informed. Second, I clearly stated that I make a distinction between talking about SPECIFIC issues, and talking about the social, MORAL, and procedural aspects of collecting, discussing, and sharing facts and POVs.

Here is a question.

Why ought we even try and humour or share with you...with this shitful attitude you have adopted in this thread. You seem ignorant of anyone's position but your own (and it does not look like you have really thought through your own positions), you are being arrogant, condescending, patronising, you seem to place a more moral/educated/informed/reasonable/rational viewpoint than others and you have seemingly no position to respect.

Why should anyone here visit your threads or give you the time of day with this current disrespectful attitude?

I don't know what has come over you SG but you should really drop the attitude and back the fuck up. If you can not post a thread to discuss something without spending the thread railing on the membership then don't start the stupid fucking thread in the first place.

Expected better from you, of all people.

Well, I am trying to clarify myself. If you still think I have a shit attitude then it's not use going on, I am obviously making this worse.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2013, 05:24:20 PM »
Who says that Parts or anyone here IS misinformed or ignorant about a group's plight? You do SG. Just you.
Making it worse? Not explaining yourself well? No, I think you are, in that you are consistently disrespectful and in the same way. You rephrasing lends no more to the discussion but again is consistent on what you apologised before about, so no I do not think that you are not explaining it well.
Myself? I would have loved to share MY opinion on this rather than defend Part's that I do not necessarily agree with and browbeat you. In fact you would possibly find similarities between mine and yours.
As for your attitude being shitfull...yeah it really is. Repeating it a number of different ways is not making it any more palatable either

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »
I never prevented anyone from sharing their opinion. I had issue with Parts statement because it is inaccurate and ignorant. Are you telling me I should just not call out a lie when I hear it?

If you have a problem with me calling him out on that, then so be it, but don't let it be an excuse not to add your own two cents. It is OBVIOUS he is misinformed, otherwise he wouldn't have made that statement. I asked if it needed to be delineated why it was inaccurate, nobody said it did, but if you insist lies need to be defended go ahead.

>:(

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2013, 07:23:47 PM »
if he would have just said 
Go back far enough everyones been fucked by someone and everyone has fucked someone else

I wouldn't have called it ignorant. That's a valid POV and statement and warrants interesting discussion. it's the first bit I took issue with.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2013, 07:47:44 PM »
'Your people wronged my people a couple hundred years ago'    Blah blah blah  it gets old.

I can't believe one by one people defend a statement like that, in relation to the OP, in relation to Indigenous rights.

How can someone say something which is inaccurate and wrong, and then be defended when their called out on it?

:cbc: < thats me, as humpty dumpty, teetering on the wall of composure....well I am also broken in half because I've already fallen off lost my temper once or twice, but I am now teetering again.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2013, 08:55:49 PM »
I never prevented anyone from sharing their opinion. I had issue with Parts statement because it is inaccurate and ignorant. Are you telling me I should just not call out a lie when I hear it?

If you have a problem with me calling him out on that, then so be it, but don't let it be an excuse not to add your own two cents. It is OBVIOUS he is misinformed, otherwise he wouldn't have made that statement. I asked if it needed to be delineated why it was inaccurate, nobody said it did, but if you insist lies need to be defended go ahead.

Because whilst simplistically stated it is a point of view worth stating and debating, equally as valuable as your own.
What does it say and not say?
In Australia there is a National Sorry Day that white Australians are supposed to endorse and seek to placate and reconcile with Aborigines. Most white people say "Reconcile? For what? I did nothing and if you try to bring up my forefathers, never met them, don't know them and your issue is with them not me. I will not feel any responsibility or accountability to their actions."
This is similar to Parts position and it is NOT a lie nor ignorant nor wrong nor inaccurate.
Reconciliation means different things to different people. Different tribes and families band individuals. Some people will be OK with something that can be given and some aren't. Some will ask for a return to how things were.
There are no easy answers or convenient fixes that will fix or please everyone.
There IS plenty of bigotry though. A lot of this happens when people choose to judge others beliefs and devalue POV in open discussion.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2013, 09:05:07 PM »
In Australia there is a National Sorry Day that white Australians are supposed to endorse and seek to placate and reconcile with Aborigines.

Interesting. What's the name of this day? How is it celebrated? Here we have thanksgiving, gather the family, eat like pigs, and watch the parade.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2013, 09:13:43 PM »
Except the notion of thanksgiving is sort of like an annual slap in the face to the indians, but hey that's america.

Offline sg1008

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2013, 09:17:19 PM »

Because whilst simplistically stated it is a point of view worth stating and debating, equally as valuable as your own.
What does it say and not say?
In Australia there is a National Sorry Day that white Australians are supposed to endorse and seek to placate and reconcile with Aborigines. Most white people say "Reconcile? For what? I did nothing and if you try to bring up my forefathers, never met them, don't know them and your issue is with them not me. I will not feel any responsibility or accountability to their actions."
This is similar to Parts position and it is NOT a lie nor ignorant nor wrong nor inaccurate.
Reconciliation means different things to different people. Different tribes and families band individuals. Some people will be OK with something that can be given and some aren't. Some will ask for a return to how things were.
There are no easy answers or convenient fixes that will fix or please everyone.
There IS plenty of bigotry though. A lot of this happens when people choose to judge others beliefs and devalue POV in open discussion.

The reason why it is inaccurate is because their issue is not with our forefathers. It is a PRESENT DAY issue with US, and it's a myth (propagated by our neat little history books) that all oppression and wrongdoing occurred a couple hundred years ago. Yes, for some reason when a constitutional right is invoked (written a couple hundred years ago) it is as powerful as any law. yet when a treaty is invoked (which in most cases is MORE contemporary) then it is dismissed as ancient history. It's a racist double standard we still hang onto and shrug our shoulders and say it happened so long ago, when it's happening right underneath our noses.

And I will call anyone and everyone out on it if they decide that Indian laws can expire whenever we decide while our laws can't. And I will call it out as ignorance because that is what it is.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:20:18 PM by sg1008 »