Author Topic: What have you done today?  (Read 135352 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What have you done today?
« Reply #540 on: June 19, 2007, 03:10:54 AM »
Nothing much. Time flies and all that. :P

need something to do?   :eyebrows:

I'm lousy at knitting, just so you know. It would have to be something else. :eyebrows:

oh dear me - now what could i possibly come up with...?   :eyelash:  :angel:

i suppose wild erotic mayhem is out of the question?

Well, not necessarily, if you insist. ;D  I can probably be persuaded. :laugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #541 on: June 19, 2007, 03:15:29 AM »
what have i done today...?

marked umpteen scripts; written a document and rejigged it into a powerpoint presentation for tomorrow; admin for the exam marking; weeded bits of the garden; watered everything which needed it in the greenhouse; taken delivery of new monitor (huzzah!); written several PMs and emails (one on AS advocacy)...

preparing to go for a run, and then, probably, complete collapse.

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #542 on: June 19, 2007, 03:16:05 AM »
Nothing much. Time flies and all that. :P

need something to do?   :eyebrows:

I'm lousy at knitting, just so you know. It would have to be something else. :eyebrows:

oh dear me - now what could i possibly come up with...?   :eyelash:  :angel:

i suppose wild erotic mayhem is out of the question?

Well, not necessarily, if you insist. ;D  I can probably be persuaded. :laugh:

:woohoo:  yesssssss!  better not collapse just yet, then.   :-*

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #543 on: June 19, 2007, 03:56:41 AM »
:woohoo:  yesssssss!  better not collapse just yet, then.   :-*

No, you'll do that afterwards... :evillaugh:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #544 on: June 19, 2007, 04:03:11 AM »
/faints

am i on a promise then, big boy?  yessssss!

/rushes off to ablute and anoint herself with unguents.  and generally get overexcited.

ozymandias

« Reply #545 on: June 19, 2007, 06:51:25 AM »
Delivered my car to the garage for it's servicing tomorrow, biked back home on a beautiful day.  Sifting thru the stuff Amber threw out while cleaning her room today.  Which was a lot, thank Cthulhu for bribery.  Monetary gain does help a teenage aspiette pack rat see reason. 8)

How does that work?  My prepubescent pack rat could use some reason. 
Mine have gotten really good at "helping others by donating" things. It seems there is always some friend worse off than we are for the kids to identify with and help by giving them some special toy (one at a time - you don't want to piss off the other kid's parents) that they have outgrown.

I make a big stack if stuff to donate and, obviously some of it is junk, so I separate the good stuff  to actually donate to Goodwill, Salvation Army or displaced family relief drives while the remainder goes to the garbage. We donated over one hundred kid books to the library last month along with a lawn-sized garbage bag of toys from their rooms, which went to Goodwill. Getting rid of a piles that big streamlines the daily clean-up quite a bit.

Her books, clothes, stuffed animals and good toys are given to groups that will hand them out to kids less fortunate.  As a teen she wants to buy stuff that is along her obsessions.  We've been telling her for years now that she can earn more money outside of her allowance by getting rid of stuff.  Broken or garbage things obviously get no money, but, good sized books get a quarter a piece, large stuffed animals get $1 or small gets 50 cents.  Amber got rid of 78 ceramic figures (tiny) and got $5 for the lot.  She's got spending money and room for more stuff.  You basically have to set your own value on whatever she gets rid of and also count on the fact that as she matures, things she liked as a kid, maybe less likeable as she gets older.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #546 on: June 19, 2007, 06:55:03 AM »
/faints

am i on a promise then, big boy?  yessssss!

/rushes off to ablute and anoint herself with unguents.  and generally get overexcited.

;D

- Albert Einstein

The_P

« Reply #547 on: June 19, 2007, 09:39:40 AM »
I want to my nan's funeral today. Wore a kilt, held her coffin along with other family members, had to console my sister, got a lift back home from my dad because I hate the pub atmosphere.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #548 on: June 19, 2007, 09:39:58 AM »
Delivered my car to the garage for it's servicing tomorrow, biked back home on a beautiful day.  Sifting thru the stuff Amber threw out while cleaning her room today.  Which was a lot, thank Cthulhu for bribery.  Monetary gain does help a teenage aspiette pack rat see reason. 8)

How does that work?  My prepubescent pack rat could use some reason. 
Mine have gotten really good at "helping others by donating" things. It seems there is always some friend worse off than we are for the kids to identify with and help by giving them some special toy (one at a time - you don't want to piss off the other kid's parents) that they have outgrown.

I make a big stack if stuff to donate and, obviously some of it is junk, so I separate the good stuff  to actually donate to Goodwill, Salvation Army or displaced family relief drives while the remainder goes to the garbage. We donated over one hundred kid books to the library last month along with a lawn-sized garbage bag of toys from their rooms, which went to Goodwill. Getting rid of a piles that big streamlines the daily clean-up quite a bit.

Her books, clothes, stuffed animals and good toys are given to groups that will hand them out to kids less fortunate.  As a teen she wants to buy stuff that is along her obsessions.  We've been telling her for years now that she can earn more money outside of her allowance by getting rid of stuff.  Broken or garbage things obviously get no money, but, good sized books get a quarter a piece, large stuffed animals get $1 or small gets 50 cents.  Amber got rid of 78 ceramic figures (tiny) and got $5 for the lot.  She's got spending money and room for more stuff.  You basically have to set your own value on whatever she gets rid of and also count on the fact that as she matures, things she liked as a kid, maybe less likeable as she gets older.

So, she is learning to associate a monetary value with her "old stuff". That is actually a very good idea, too, once they are old enough to comprehend. With both of mine, the concept of giving up something, which they already owned, was like a mountain in the path, even when they saw me (and helped) ebay my old stereo stuff and video tapes, ship them off and get NEW stuff for a DVD surround system. They loved the results, but did not understand how it worked on that scale. We're just not that far along, yet.

I found that appealing to their instinctive nature to nurture has at least gotten us past the first mountain. We are actually unloading some things that are still usable to someone else.
Neither of my kids play with toys in the traditional way, either - they just line them up, mostly, so their older toys often are not damaged at all. Very atypical also is the fact that they do not destroy books, like most other kids, do, so we have lots of ways to work this plan into being as they grow more.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 01:02:14 PM by MarkingDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #549 on: June 19, 2007, 09:52:43 AM »
Drank tea with extra herbs, and worked out slowly to enhance the assimilation of herbs.
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

ozymandias

« Reply #550 on: June 19, 2007, 10:02:11 AM »
Both my wife and myself have always been involved in volunteering for various things, meals on wheels, food pantry, etc.  So Amber has been exposed to the idea of contributing to those less fortunate since day one.  Plus, she's exhibited a nurturing nature most of her life, it's only lately that it's begun to focus on various things.  My wife, who is the CFO of the house, also regularly donates money to several charities that have earned our trust.  Involving Amber with the process, both as financial instruction and example.

Somebody at the local library made an excellent suggestion yesterday, when I brought Amber's used books there.  Holding a special yard sale for kids to sell their unwanted items in the local park.  It would be a kids only affair, with adults just supervising or providing snacks and drinks and just making it a fun and educational experience for the kids.

Obviously not something for younger kids or ones that can't grasp the concept of getting rid of stuff.  But, it wouldn't hurt to expose them to something like that on a smaller scale.  It would depend upon the individual kid.

Offline Randy

• Fairy Self Actualizing Healer
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Picture of the person who changed my avitar
« Reply #551 on: June 19, 2007, 10:04:55 AM »
* AllDayGlowRandy bows down to O
zymandias, I like your style. ;D
Biggest bullshitter on the web, the person who is says that is a jealous wanker who needs some personal devolpement.

Spread your legs woman!

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #552 on: June 19, 2007, 11:56:38 AM »
I want to my nan's funeral today. Wore a kilt, held her coffin along with other family members, had to console my sister, got a lift back home from my dad because I hate the pub atmosphere.

My condolences, P. Funerals are no fun (except that you can usually drink ridiculous amounts of beer).

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #553 on: June 19, 2007, 12:22:53 PM »

Offline Leto729

• The God Emperor of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • Shai-Hulud
« Reply #554 on: June 19, 2007, 12:28:13 PM »
Went to work.
Guardian of the Empire