Author Topic: Doublestandardness?  (Read 707 times)

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
Doublestandardness?
« on: November 10, 2012, 05:15:02 PM »
Youz?
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
Re: Doublestandardness?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 06:10:27 PM »
Yez because it's okay when I do it :zoinks:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 07:26:46 PM »
Of course.  I think it's part of animal nature. 
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 04:06:17 AM »
What parts said. Except that he is wrong, of course.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 01:50:08 PM »
You're all wrong!

And right in your own ways.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 02:26:59 PM »
My way is the right one but I think yours is too.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 03:00:45 PM »
Sorry, too vague a thread start..

Wellz.. this thread was my half-baked attempt to start a thread about something I hate quite a bit. Yes yes, I'm probably not all the way free from doublestandardness myself.. and here and there I might 'judge' something s/o else doing negativity.. whilst yeah, properly looking at myself.. I do/did the p/m same thing too.

Old girlfriend, talking about this, said to me once.. That when you point your finger towards the other.. there are usually three fingers (of own hand) pointing back at you. Might be a christian symbolism or reference for she was.. (duh)

Animal nature? Was about to write that it's probably more human nature (than animal nature in general but.. ) but yeah, animals also do to others what they wish not to be done to themselves.

Um, that's one adage, i.e. 'Don't do to others what you wish not to be done to yourself'..  that seems to be totally forgotten nowadays. Thought Confucius said that.. a long time ago.. and maybe a tadski naive.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 03:08:33 PM »

Wellz.. this thread was my half-baked attempt to start a thread about something I hate quite a bit. Yes yes, I'm probably not all the way free from doublestandardness myself.. and here and there I might 'judge' something s/o else doing negativity.. whilst yeah, properly looking at myself.. I do/did the p/m same thing too.

Old girlfriend, talking about this, said to me once.. That when you point your finger towards the other.. there are usually three fingers (of own hand) pointing back at you. Might be a christian symbolism or reference for she was.. (duh)

Animal nature? Was about to write that it's probably more human nature (than animal nature in general but.. ) but yeah, animals also do to others what they wish not to be done to themselves.

Um, that's one adage, i.e. 'Don't do to others what you wish not to be done to yourself'..  that seems to be totally forgotten nowadays. Thought Confucius said that.. a long time ago.. and maybe a tadski naive.

Yup that is the "Golden Rule". "Do unto others" is the Chritian equivalent. Same moral preaching different century. It is a funny one. Even though many Christians will take great pains to defend this preaching as Chrisian and so on, they don't seem to like ytou saying "Hey i think it is a great idea and very moral but not particularly Christian, it has been arouund for a while", they get annoyed.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Beardy McFuckface

• Constant Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 04:22:02 PM »
I never liked that saying "Do unto others". What if you responded indifferently when they did it to you?

It would only make sense if for example, you make jokes about people yet you can't take a joke. However I often take the piss out of people, and I don't mind if they take the piss out of me.

Unless I'm being spookaney about this, please enlighten me.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 05:11:26 PM »
I claim my right to have double standards, when it comes to my kids.
When they say it isn't fair, I tell them they would not like fair.

Because then one of them should eat gherkins, and the other peanut-butter.

Different people, different things.

I never liked that saying "Do unto others". What if you responded indifferently when they did it to you?

It would only make sense if for example, you make jokes about people yet you can't take a joke. However I often take the piss out of people, and I don't mind if they take the piss out of me.

Unless I'm being spookaney about this, please enlighten me.
  :indeed:

The "do not unto others....." I've always taken wider than the direct meaning. I don't want to be hurt, or disrespected, I want to be treated right for me. So, I try to do similar to others, and, that absolutely is something different than interacting with them the way it would be ideal for me. If I treated people the way I would love to be treated in social things, lots of them would think I treated them awful. So, some people, that I do like, I treat with proverbial gloves. Others, I don't have to keep myself back with at all.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 08:23:13 AM »
If I treated people the way I would love to be treated in social things, lots of them would think I treated them awful.
This.

Other people do not like to be ignored or barely spoken to but if I could get away with doing this, I would!
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

P7PSP

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »

Not true IMO. When I use my index finger to point it is the only finger pointing. The others are inert and out of the way. Having the others out of the way is what emphasizes the fact that the index finger is pointing.  :indeed:

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 10:26:07 PM »

Not true IMO. When I use my index finger to point it is the only finger pointing.  The others are inert and out of the way.  Having the others out of the way is what emphasizes the fact that the index finger is pointing.  :indeed:

Your other fingers are inert because they are lazy slackers.  :hahaha:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

P7PSP

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 11:58:58 PM »

Not true IMO. When I use my index finger to point it is the only finger pointing.  The others are inert and out of the way.  Having the others out of the way is what emphasizes the fact that the index finger is pointing.  :indeed:

:agreed: they can be indolent at times.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 12:05:32 AM »

:agreed: they can be indolent at times.

That's why you have the dust bunnies.  :zoinks:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"