Educational

Author Topic: Surveillance cameras  (Read 2523 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Surveillance cameras
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2012, 03:21:30 PM »

If some private citizen follows you and catches you on video, will that also be OK?

FOLLOWS you on video? No. That would be harrassment if you're following someone around with a camera in their face. Recording in public is legal though. I can take my camera out and film people walking down the street if I like. Obviously focusing on one person would be creepy though. CCTV is there to film the area in general. Not the same thing at all.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2012, 03:23:40 PM »
Don't feel any safer with cameras around. Do feel watched, and, I just don't like it. I am entitled to some privacy outside too.

In shops they do make sense.

How are you entitled to privacy in public?

How are you not? Who has decided that?

Are you being deliberately stupid?

Privacy - in - public ?

How can you have privacy in public ffs?

Adam, for a lot of people being outside is where they get their privacy. Not the privacy from all of the world, but, yes, the privacy of not being asked, bothered and called (some people do switch of their phone, and are without any contact when outside). I have cherished my privacy like that when it was my only option.
And, when it comes to safety, I think people in the street work better than cameras. And for footage, when something happens there are plenty of people wanting to film it on their phone. People aren't filming all the time, only when there is action to be filmed.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »
Just because it's caught on camera does not mean they are going to catch and put away the person committing the crime.  I looked at  Crimewatch where they are asking for help, some of the stuff was caught on cams and they still don't have the people in custody.  I might also add some of the photos were kinda shitty for the amount they spent I would have figured they had better cams.

Again, what do you expect? They're not gonna catch everybody. The point is that they catch A LOT

Hyke - People seem to think there's someone on the other end of the camera zooming in on them and them only. It really isn;t like that. You can go and have your quiet time alone on a bench. They're not gonna be zooming in watching you intently. That's not how it works.

Just how many is a lot it seems most studies don't consider the numbers to be a lot or they would have not reached the conclusions they did.

As for not zooming in  :zoinks:
Two council CCTV camera operators have been jailed for spying on a naked woman in her own home.
Link  I have read about it happening other places also but this was the easiest link to find
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline TA

• Rage Filled Brain of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Face my Squirrely Wrath!
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, 03:34:31 PM »
1984, that is all.

Reading suggestion

More reading suggestion

Hyke, yes, a few of the events depicted in 1985 are happening in the UK, such as immigration from the Middle East. The Trade Union thing, I don't see it.
Adam: wat?
The stupidity of humanity FILLS ME WITH RAGE!

TheoK

« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, 03:35:43 PM »
Adam needs to be BRAVE! :arrr:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 03:47:07 PM »
Hyke - that is not privacy though, is it? That's getting away from people so they can't contact you and pester you. People can still see you though if they're out too.

And as for other people being around to film things - that's not usually the case in crimes is it? Most crimes are not committed in full view of everyone

parts I don't know what you would consider "enough" crimes solved or criminals caught to justify CCTV. To me, any is enough. The only thing to take into account is the cost of it. I think the whole "privacy" argument 6yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyt FFS my cat just typed that. I think the whole privacy argument is fucking retarded

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2012, 03:56:40 PM »
Surveying with cameras makes it anonymous. Lots of things in society are getting more and more anonymous, yet, also with the right to know everything of people.
So, the right of privacy is disappearing on the one hand. Things are hardly personal. On the other hand, people are more and more treated as a number, and answered by systems, in stead of interacting on a human level. And yes, that does bother me. Surveillance cameras are just a part of that.

And privacy? There just has been passed a new law here. People on an unemployment income, or benefit can be raided without a warrant, to get everything looked through, when there is just a possible (not reasonable, but, possible) suspicion of fraud.

So, officially, I am not having a right for privacy at my home either. A possible suspicion can be there all the time. Where the fuck will I have privacy.

And, of course, that raiding will not happen a lot. But, the right to raid is there.

I hate all the fear playing, leading to raids, surveillance cameras, searching because of being in certain city areas. And, I don't think it will make this world any safer or fairer. It will enhance anxiety in society though. Because that is what it thrives on.

TheoK

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2012, 03:58:50 PM »
---
And privacy? There just has been passed a new law here. People on an unemployment income, or benefit can be raided without a warrant, to get everything looked through, when there is just a possible (not reasonable, but, possible) suspicion of fraud.
---

What the hell? I thought your country was a liberal one. Such a law would even be impossible in Sweden (yet)  :thumbdn:

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2012, 04:01:05 PM »
---
---

What the hell? I thought your country was a liberal one. Such a law would even be impossible in Sweden (yet)  :thumbdn:

Yup, somehow it got validated by the senators without anyone noticing, during the election time. Elections were a nice distraction I guess.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2012, 04:11:07 PM »
To me, any is enough.

That leads down a very dark and depressing road that has and could be used to justify just about anything.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2012, 04:12:19 PM »
To me, any is enough.

That leads down a very dark and depressing road that has and could be used to justify just about anything.

Indeed. And it will not be you and me deciding what is justified and what not.

TheoK

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2012, 04:14:50 PM »
Adam shows his naïveté again and again  :facepalm2:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2012, 04:17:24 PM »
Surveying with cameras makes it anonymous. Lots of things in society are getting more and more anonymous, yet, also with the right to know everything of people.
So, the right of privacy is disappearing on the one hand. Things are hardly personal. On the other hand, people are more and more treated as a number, and answered by systems, in stead of interacting on a human level. And yes, that does bother me. Surveillance cameras are just a part of that.

So, officially, I am not having a right for privacy at my home either. A possible suspicion can be there all the time. Where the fuck will I have privacy.

And, of course, that raiding will not happen a lot. But, the right to raid is there.

I hate all the fear playing, leading to raids, surveillance cameras, searching because of being in certain city areas. And, I don't think it will make this world any safer or fairer. It will enhance anxiety in society though. Because that is what it thrives on.
If they can do it they will.  It might not happen a lot at first but soon it will become the norm.  I am shocked they passed that law there,  I don't think they would ever be able to get it to pass here.

George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »
Still many of you are saying that I am extreme, when I'm warning for the encroachment the state is up to.

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2012, 04:29:29 PM »
If they can do it they will.  It might not happen a lot at first but soon it will become the norm.  I am shocked they passed that law there,  I don't think they would ever be able to get it to pass here.

I would have thought it impossible a few weeks ago too.

It was a liberal parliament who designed the legislation too.  :facepalm2: