Author Topic: If we all got into a room together  (Read 3093 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: If we all got into a room together
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2015, 01:30:41 AM »
  I would make everyone crazy  :headhurts: :migraine:  :GA:  by talking nonstop about Breaking Bad. :heisenberg:

I just started that show, well I finished series 1.

If you spoil anything, I will gut you.  :heisenberg:

I won't spoil it.  Stay away from my Breaking Bad thread, just to be safe.

Finish watching the show.  Do it.  You want this. :heisenberg:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2015, 08:54:33 AM »
The spazz in me wants to know if it was a Canon F1.

I'm betting on Nikon. :autism:

It all boils down to if DD is a Canon or a Nikon man. Me, I would have killed for a Canon F1, once upon a time. It was always out of my price range.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2015, 11:41:03 PM »

Yup.

I still have one of the seventies era Canon 35mm lenses (aperture 1.4) that  I use on my modern digital Nikon equipment, turned around backwards on an ancient Nikon bellows or just simply some old lens extensions (I use the metal extensions in the field, mostly, but honestly, I have not been able to do much for about three years, due to my hip problems - getting better, though!!) as a micro photography lens.

Wish I had kept the 20mm that was a part of that kit, but, after I switched to Nikon and began selling off the Canon stuff, the 20 was too valuable to keep.
Hard to beat this old super bright 35mm, though.

I have a little swivel thing from the nineteen thirties that I adapted to hold two flashes (originally made as support for two old "bulb flash" units) that I have re-purposed to hold two small electronic flashes set to a two:one ratio (actually, I can set them anywhere from two to one or up to six to one ratio, depending upon the needs of the subject matter) that is a way that I use to light micro subjects. it will moount on either the tripod mount of the largest extension or either of the mounts supported by the bellows.
I generally use it on the solid metal extensions, outdoors.

Have not done much in a while, but when I do similar photography indoors, I set up a kind of background, sometimes translucent with backlighting and often use several A/C powered lights. Of course, sometimes, I want a pure black background and simply need to place the subject on a surface like glass (avoid reflections, obviously; angle of incidence and all that. Very simple, really.) with a large distance between the subject and anything that your photographic lights could fall upon, hence, pure black background.

Understand, I am talking about photographing micro subjects, bugs, inside flowers, undersides of mushrooms, tiny spiders, etc.

A dramatically extended, high quality lens , short focal length is perfect for this. The old Canon is quite clear!

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #123 on: February 05, 2015, 12:33:21 AM »

I'm betting on Nikon. :autism:

It all boils down to if DD is a Canon or a Nikon man. Me, I would have killed for a Canon F1, once upon a time. It was always out of my price range.

Call me a turncoat, but when the electronic age happened, I followed the leader, which was clearly Nikon back in the day.

I still own a collection of perfectly functional cameras, including Canon F1 (my favorite mace - have owned three), Canon FTb, Nikon F, Nikon FM, Nikon F2, Nikon FM2, Nikon F4s (Nikon's first successful auto-focus format - I also own a nice 80mm-200mm f=2.8 lens for this camera system, along a few others.

Along with a number of FM2s - all mechanical, completely indestructible - and a few more F4s  (advanced for their time, trouble-free, unlike most Canons of that era) this made up my complement of 35mm professional photographic warchest items.
Obviously, most of the portrait work I did was done on a medium format system of one sort or another, depending upon the subject matter. I also owned Bronica 645s, Mamiys 6x7 RBs, Mamiya Twin Lens 6x6, Fuji 6x17 range finder panoramic, Hasselblad 6x6.

Honestly, as cool as the Hasselblad was, the only use I ever found for it, being a square format and all, was for weddings where they expected a square format wedding album and I HATED doing weddings.

Generally, going on a nature excursion, I would hang a 35mm around my neck, mount either a Mamiya RB 6x7 or Fuji 6x17 on a tripod and just head out. I had a quick release on the tripod, so if I needed to switch from medium format to 35mm, I could do so in less time than it takes to steady the legs of the tripod.

... but, yeah. I still have decent condition Canon F1 (which I still own) AND Nikon F (which I still own) models, just like were popular in the 60s era.
I managed to get rid of all of my professional medium format gear as the digital wavefront hit the pro market, around the turn of the century. By 2003, I had only one Mamiya 6x7RB (which I still own), one Nikon F4s, (which I still own), one Mamiya Twin Lens (which I still own), one Graflex 4x5 large format (which I still own), a few assorted lenses which fit various of my cameras, but that is it.

As it might be though, I own more lenses for the large format, which was my least used camera, than all the other classics combined.  Things like four awesome Schneiders, three ancient Rodenstock, seven kind of cool Kodak, two really nice, modernish Nikkor and a creepy ultra wide angle Wisner lenses for my 4x5 camera, which I mainly used for creating graphics using lithe film.

(taking pictures of text to add names to a pic of US Army soldiers, for instance.)

The only modern camera  I own now, could hardly be considered as a professional model. It is a Nikon D5500 and I have a   standard, dark 18-85mm lens and a faster 80- 200mm f=2.8 lens as an accessory.

I doubt that it would double as a decent mace, as any old Canon with a nylon strap would.  Just sayin'
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:38:16 AM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #124 on: February 05, 2015, 06:15:19 PM »
I'll be keeping my distance from DirtDawg so I don't get entrapped in a discussion of his interests.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline Arya Quinn

• The Mad Queen
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
  • UwU
« Reply #125 on: February 05, 2015, 06:29:11 PM »
I'll be in the corner but I'll probably bring along some speakers and blast music by Queen. If anyone else in the room doesn't like it, then they can fuck off.  :asthing:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #126 on: February 07, 2015, 04:47:21 AM »

Yup.

I still have one of the seventies era Canon 35mm lenses (aperture 1.4) that  I use on my modern digital Nikon equipment, turned around backwards on an ancient Nikon bellows or just simply some old lens extensions (I use the metal extensions in the field, mostly, but honestly, I have not been able to do much for about three years, due to my hip problems - getting better, though!!) as a micro photography lens.

Wish I had kept the 20mm that was a part of that kit, but, after I switched to Nikon and began selling off the Canon stuff, the 20 was too valuable to keep.

I have a little swivel thing from the nineteen thirties that I adapted to hold two flashes (originally made as support for two old "bulb flash" units) that I have re-purposed to hold two small electronic flashes set to a two:one ratio (actually, I can set them anywhere from two to one or up to six to one ratio, depending upon the needs of the subject matter) that is a way that I use to light micro subjects. it will moount on either the tripod mount of the largest extension or either of the mounts supported by the bellows.

Have not done much in a while, but when I do similar photography indoors, I set up a kind of background, sometimes translucent with backlighting and often use several A/C powered lights. Of course, sometimes, I want a pure black background and simply need to place the subject on a surface like glass (avoid reflections, obviously; angle of incidence and all that. Very simple, really.) with a large distance between the subject and anything that your photographic lights could fall upon, hence, pure black background.

Understand, I am talking about photographing micro subjects, bugs, inside flowers, undersides of mushrooms, tiny spiders, etc.

A dramatically extended, high quality lens , short focal length is perfect for this. The old Canon is quite clear!

You made me want to buy a Canon F1 again. I wonder if I can get a decent one on eBay?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #127 on: February 07, 2015, 04:49:04 AM »
I'll be keeping my distance from DirtDawg so I don't get entrapped in a discussion of his interests.  :zoinks:

He is my kind of guy. He is into sound and he is into cameras.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2015, 12:56:32 AM »
I'll be in the corner but I'll probably bring along some speakers and blast music by Queen. If anyone else in the room doesn't like it, then they can fuck off.  :asthing:

Maybe you and I could learn to pal out a bit, then.

I love Queen!

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2015, 01:16:50 AM »

Probably losing you a bit, but I am also into "weaponry."

... and a vague amount of knowing what these weapons are and how to use them, in some cases.

I can not say how many blades from all eras of the past centuries I own. But, guns, rifles, pistols, shotguns and various other manners of firearms I own are all legal and cataloged with my federal government. I can produce an impressive list if needed.

Generally, if questioned by local law enforcement, I just need to show my permit to carry and most questions are answered.

I will never stop with cameras and as long as I can still hear, even a little bit, I will still be helping people who can not hear enjoy music, even if only thorough their bones. It is a kind of obsession of mine, so to speak,

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2015, 01:22:27 AM »

Yup.

You made me want to buy a Canon F1 again. I wonder if I can get a decent one on eBay?

Maybe, but I would try https://www.keh.com/ in Georgia before I would trust some asswipe on eBay. I have bought a number of used cameras from them and sold back quite a few of my leftovers,

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #131 on: February 08, 2015, 03:03:43 AM »
Oh cool.

Got stuck there for a while, browsing old cameras. Memory lane.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »
Oh cool.

Got stuck there for a while, browsing old cameras. Memory lane.

That is easy to do!

Offline Gopher Gary

• sockpuppet alert!
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • I'm not wearing pants.
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »

In that case, I'll avoid you too.  :zoinks:
:gopher:

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2015, 11:37:57 PM »

Pretty sure your are safe from me (other than the simple fact that in nature's way of sorting things out and shit, I am the dominant predator and I may have already eaten a great number of your kin), since I can not even imagine any type of way in heaven or hell that we could possibly have anything in common (you ignorant fuck stain)  "and shit,"  LOL.

Maybe, my instinct will demand that I stalk you.  Never can know how wild a dawg can get once gone feral and left to his own needs.

WTF, Dude?!?