Author Topic: Favorite childhood authors and books.  (Read 490 times)

TheoK

Re: Favorite childhood authors and books.
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 02:13:34 AM »
I read many books that were for adults. Jules Vernes' books were among my favourites. I could read when I was three years old, so I have read many hundred books already as a child  :viking:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 02:56:51 AM »
In no particular order...

Enid Blyton
Jules Verne
Arthur Conan Doyle
Edgar Rice Burroughs
Isaac Asimov
Arthur C Clarke
Robert Heinlein
Clifford Simak

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
I remember Beverly Cleary, Alcott, stuff like that until I hit about 10 and discovered Stephen King.

Then it was Stephen King, Peter Straub, VC Andrews, Anne Rice, Clive Barker, & Dean Koontz.

I used to devour horror novels in sometimes only a day, only coming up for food, wishing they were about 200 pages longer... now I wish I had time to read one sometimes.

P7PSP

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 12:21:39 PM »
I remember Beverly Cleary, Alcott, stuff like that until I hit about 10 and discovered Stephen King.

Then it was Stephen King, Peter Straub, VC Andrews, Anne Rice, Clive Barker, & Dean Koontz.

I used to devour horror novels in sometimes only a day, only coming up for food, wishing they were about 200 pages longer... now I wish I had time to read one sometimes.
I read part of one VC Andrews book that had a stupid boy named Bart in it. He put dogshit in a cut on his leg and got real sick. At that point I just figured Bart was too stupid to live and did not care to read more.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 02:48:37 PM »
Richard Adams
Jack London
Stephen King
Dean Koontz
Arthur C. Clarke
Isaac Asimov
Piers Anthony
Alan Dean Foster
Larry Niven
Robert L. Forward

I was given a children's encyclopedia series when I was five, that was my favorite thing that year.
The summer between 5th and 6th grade I read every science fiction book in the local branch library just to see if I could.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2012, 07:56:32 PM »

I read part of one VC Andrews book that had a stupid boy named Bart in it. He put dogshit in a cut on his leg and got real sick. At that point I just figured Bart was too stupid to live and did not care to read more.
Heh, I found VC Andrews' books quite depressing.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 04:24:28 PM »

They were. But I was one of those 13 yr old's that painted their nails black, this was before "goth", and even before black nail polish hit the corner drugstore. I used to use testor's black model paint with some clear coat.  :LOL:  I was far from emo though, just weird. :autism:

P7PSP

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 05:34:56 PM »

They were. But I was one of those 13 yr old's that painted their nails black, this was before "goth", and even before black nail polish hit the corner drugstore. I used to use testor's black model paint with some clear coat.  :LOL:  I was far from emo though, just weird. :autism:
You still are.  :hahaha: :zoinks: I had not realized that you were a proto goth.

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 06:28:22 PM »
Had I known it was going to be such a big thing I would have found a way to capitalize on it.  :zoinks:

I just enjoyed freaking out the local farm boys. >:D

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 06:35:16 PM »
I read so much as a child.  I don't remember many authors beyond the SF ones I posted earlier.  I do remember being fascinated by the story The Twelve Dancing Princesses, probably because of the illustrations.  I also enjoyed whatever books I could find in the colored fairy tales series:  The Blue Fairy Tale Book, The Red Fairy Tale Book, The Green Fairy Tale Book.

Another book I read and re-read as a child was a pregnancy book for the mother-to-be.  We didn't have many books around, so whatever was available I read.  Except for Lady Chatterly's Lover.  Never could get past the first chapter in that one.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Genesis

• The impostor who isn't from Old Country formerly known as Soviet Union
  • News Box Slave
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Blogger Was Here
    • Night Owl Redux
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 09:23:46 PM »
I read some things by Rhiannon Lassitter and Christopher Golden, Brain Jacques, Alice McLearen, M.T. Anderson, Kurt Vonnegut, Denis Anderson....

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 02:48:44 AM »
I forgot that one of my favourite authors when I was about 14 was Tamora Pierce. Her books got me through some tough times and I still have those books now. One of them I took from the library and forgot to take back. As far as I know, Tamora Pierce is still writing.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae