Educational

Author Topic: Being Media Savvy  (Read 797 times)

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Being Media Savvy
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 06:48:40 AM »
I have been misled before and so felt tricked.

I try to keep an open mind for as long as possible to avoid that happening again. It is why I don't tend to have much of an opinion on things that are brought up here in Political Pundits. And the fact that I am a bit ignorant about a lot of things as well.

The only news show I watch is called The Project and that takes a more lighthearted view of current affairs. It is not the sort of show to feature conspiracy stories as true. I have learnt a lot about Australian politics because of that show.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

TheoK

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 07:56:17 AM »
Conspiracy "theorists" have never learned the concept of Ockham's razor. Most things are not outright conspiracies, and those that are usually don't gain public knowledge until decades after they happened.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 08:55:40 AM »
Probably not, but I try

Offline Jesse

• My mirror shows black (Otherwise known as nigger)
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • where mountains throne
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 07:30:47 PM »
I dont have cable TV but when I did I hardly watched the damn news. Its nothing more then a bunch of bullshit anyways
:skywarp:

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 02:54:26 AM »
I try to see, or think of other points of view. There was a time, as a student, that we had two newspaper subscriptions for that very reason. Can't afford that now.

I'm easy to fool when it comes to threats on the internet though. Just not knowledgeable enough there. So, now and then I fall for another threat warning.

The internet is on the one hand making it easier to find a different source to a thing in the news, on the other hand, people, and also newspapers, copy so much, that sometimes you seem to only find copies of the same thing.

My youngest is to bring a cutting from a newspaper to school every day. And, they discuss it. She took some articles on the same thing, with different outcomes with her, couple of days. That proved to be very confusing for other kids. Think it is good that they discuss things like that.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 03:45:23 AM »
My youngest is to bring a cutting from a newspaper to school every day. And, they discuss it. She took some articles on the same thing, with different outcomes with her, couple of days. That proved to be very confusing for other kids. Think it is good that they discuss things like that.
That would be teaching them how to think critically.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 04:40:26 PM »
History books, historic novels even more, I can get so lost in it that I forget that someone, with a certain point of view was writing it.
And, the better the historic research, and the more gifted the writer, the easier it is for me to forget for a while that it is not the way the facts were perse.

Reading the The Regeneration Trilogy of Pat Barker, and she really gets me carried away.  :laugh: I do need my breaks, reading that.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!