Educational

Author Topic: When trolling a religion goes wrong...  (Read 1856 times)

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
When trolling a religion goes wrong...
« on: September 13, 2012, 02:13:29 AM »
Seriously this may be the greatest incidental religious trolling event in internet history. The film is called "Innocence of Muslims" and it portrays Mohammad in a severely negative light (I mean if you think the Danish cartoons were offensive to Muslims, this dwarfs that controversy many times over). This could actually get serious enough to undermine ten years of US efforts in Afghanistan and various other places in the Middle East, that or even go as far to provoke another war.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-19572694
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19570254

Shit just got real, big time.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:15:35 AM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: When trolling a religion goes wrong...
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 02:30:40 AM »
Ooopppsss!  :thumbup:
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 02:53:45 AM »
OH SHI-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19584734

It's spreading. But wait until Pakistan's population reacts. Currently their population is in mourning over a incident that killed hundreds of people, so once that's over... Oh fuck.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:55:48 AM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 05:26:41 AM »
Actors saying their have been manipulated in this film, not being aware that it was to be about Islam. And, the main man? behind it not to be found?

Very strange, and tricky indeed.

This would be the way to get massive violence, action, and reaction going.

Oh fuck indeed.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

TheoK

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 05:54:35 AM »
I wonder how much the conspiracy theorists are right. In my humble opinion most of what they say is BS, but some of it is obviously true.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:56:25 AM by Lit »

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 06:21:05 AM »
I wonder how much the conspiracy theorists are right. In my humble opinion most of what they say is BS, but some of it is obviously true.
Actors saying their have been manipulated in this film, not being aware that it was to be about Islam. And, the main man? behind it not to be found?

Very strange, and tricky indeed.

This would be the way to get massive violence, action, and reaction going.

Oh fuck indeed.
My reaction was along a similar line.  Also, interesting that these things happened oh so very close to the US presidential elections.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 06:41:23 AM »
Also, interesting that these things happened oh so very close to the US presidential elections.

THIS.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 06:52:41 AM »
They're now investigating if the killing of the ambassador to Libya was a set up because someone knew his security detail and when the car picked him up from the building it was immediately fired on with rockets.
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 06:52:52 AM »
What was strange was that at first the New York Times (of all places to expect this written) mentioned that Sam Bacile himself proclaimed he was a Israeli-American Jew. Now they're trying to say his name is unknown and he's likely Christian, omitting this supposed confession. Sounds like a dangerous game of propaganda is emerging from this.

What is suss is the timing, right on 9/11, a perfect time to rekindle hatred on both sides in order to excite potential war. Israel and Romney both gain a lot from this. Israel may get it's war with Iran soon with US commitment (as the hatred boils over into rash actions) and/or Obama may lose the election over mishandling this foreign relations nightmare (as Romney is more committed to Israel's interest against Iran than Obama is).

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 06:55:31 AM »
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this." - Anonymous

"Sleep, structure and time are a wonderful loom to weave a life on." ~ Her Majesty

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 07:01:27 AM »
What was strange was that at first the New York Times (of all places to expect this written) mentioned that Sam Bacile himself proclaimed he was a Israeli-American Jew. Now they're trying to say his name is unknown and he's likely Christian, omitting this supposed confession. Sounds like a dangerous game of propaganda is emerging from this.

What is suss is the timing, right on 9/11, a perfect time to rekindle hatred on both sides in order to excite potential war. Israel and Romney both gain a lot from this. Israel may get it's war with Iran soon with US commitment (as the hatred boils over into rash actions) and/or Obama may lose the election over mishandling this foreign relations nightmare (as Romney is more committed to Israel's interest against Iran than Obama is).

All that. :(
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2012, 07:34:53 AM »
What concerns me more than anything else is that, this is only the beginning and I feel we've seen nothing yet. It's too early right now for any major response (other than the Libyan event) to happen yet, but if I were an American in the Middle East right now, I'd high tail it outta there and FAST.

Offline MissKitty

• Pet of The Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2012, 07:37:28 AM »
Exactly.

TheoK

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 09:42:44 AM »
The US embassy in Berlin has just been evacuated  :-\

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2012, 05:04:22 PM »
Has anyone watched any of it?  It's awful high school kids could do better I can not understand how anyone could take it seriously.  But then again we are talking about religious nutters which are the worst type.  As to who did it and conspiracies this could be just about anyone all sides could use this to their benefit. Obama could look presidential  meeting out justice to the offenders, Romney could go on about how he would do more and attack this group or that.  Israel could try to use it to get an attack on Iran.  Fundie Muslims could use it to gain more power.  Even China and Russia could have done it to through the US off balance.  Of course oil will rise in price so the Saudis will be raking in the money. So good news for everyone except of course the people who will die which will not be anyone with money or that will gain with the exception of the death of the ambassador well that was necessary to peak the outrage I am sure it was nothing personal
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw