Author Topic: Should prisoner's have the right to vote?  (Read 1189 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Re: Should prisoner's have the right to vote?
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2012, 07:00:22 PM »
The entire concept of prison is a relatively new one in the history of humankind, and a fucked up one at that.  Especially in the US where we keep a higher percentage of our population in prison than Russia or China.  Questions like whether or not they should be able to vote should take a backseat to the important questions like why a society should pay trillions of dollars to punish people in this fashion.

A good point.  Trying to think about an alternative.
blah blah blah

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2012, 08:35:17 PM »
Abandon drug legislation, deport the illegals, and boil the (DNA profiled, confirmed) rapists/nonces in their own urine, slowly.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2012, 11:05:51 PM »
Abandon drug legislation, deport the illegals, and boil the (DNA profiled, confirmed) rapists/nonces in their own urine, slowly.

Yes, but should they be allowed to vote afterwards?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2012, 11:14:40 PM »
Illegals? fuckers never had the right to take away, nonces, rapists, definitely...but only after prolonged boiling in own urine :P see how many of the dirty bastards get up and vote ex post facto:D

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2012, 04:09:00 AM »
If they're let out, I see no issue giving them back the rights they lose during their time in prison. They can vote for whoever they like then.

That said, I would also like capital punishment reinstated for more serious criminals/repeat offenders. If someone never learns, then they can face the consequence of death.

TheoK

« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2012, 04:38:01 AM »
Illegals? fuckers never had the right to take away, nonces, rapists, definitely...but only after prolonged boiling in own urine :P see how many of the dirty bastards get up and vote ex post facto:D

:plus:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2012, 05:57:50 AM »
The problem with capital punishment, is miscarriages of justice. One can't compensate a corpse.

And holiday camps? I'm going to bite my tongue HARD right now, and keep it shut.

Other than to say, that here in the UK, the conditions are appalling, the food fucking awful (seriously...how DO you cook a roast chicken to make it turn grey...sheesh) and the overcrowding is at a crisis point) hotel? name me a hotel where you order dinner, then have to stamp some ignorant, androgen-laden teen thug's face into the dirt, or take somebody's shoes just for the right to choke it down.

Frolic_Fun

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2012, 06:46:00 AM »
Make the conditions more appauling! :orly:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2012, 09:47:31 AM »
Make the conditions more appauling! :orly:

That would be tempting if not for the fact that so many are in there for non violent drug offenses and the ones that are in there due to lacking the money to put up an good defense
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

TheoK

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2012, 10:16:22 AM »
In Sweden the state pays your attorney if you earn less than 260000 kronor/year. That's about $40000. You don't get a bad lawyer just because s/he is paid by the state.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2012, 12:07:42 PM »
Its fucking blatantly obvious you have never been sent down schleed, been in two myself, I know what the Hades I speak of. Do you?  or are you just pulling such hackneyed, false and empty SHITE out of your arse to hear the sound of your own voice?

Conditions in the first one of two were SO decrepit and generally fucked, that do you know how one guy got himself a break from his wing?

Poor rotten bastard stuck a snapped off broom handle up his chocolate starfish and jumped off the top bunk in his pad.

No matter who you are, unless you are something like a shao-lin monk, or ex navy seal, there are always going to be bigger, harder, brain-onation rejects (despite sales tag reading-one prev. owner only, never been used') who will take anything as excuse to probe, like wolves, for a weakness then move in without mercy unless put out of action quickly, painfully and efficiently.

Happened to me. I preferred to take my 'food' somewhere out of the way, I.e my pad, and eat there, some big dirty great prick just felt like KOing me, no way I could beat him physically. Fucker shouldn't have started shit with an autie biochemist.....*smiles nastily at the thought of what that cereal did to him........*

Got cat-A'ed a while after that, but after he go out of hopital he was too far weakened to pose any threat, a big bastard, but a stupid fucking thug type that evidently had no idea DIY NBC (minus the 'N' bit)

Aside from a TV, a blanked, and the chance, if able-bodied and there IS work, to slave for way below minimum wage, in order to scrape together enough coppers to buy some tobacco, toiletries and snack food. The ONLY luxury goods in there of any kind, are hideously expensive weed, and less pricy, but shite deals and the quality...I wouldn't fucking bother handing over 4oz of bvaccy for one  measly wrap outside.

And yes, I was remanded, a miscarriage of justice. Only the once, the reason I got cat-A'd and sent to max sec I don't know.

I found the conditions in there much less primitive and altogether not so fucking sick in the head, a lot of lifers, rather than just teenaged spotty little brick-fodder, lags with a looong arse sentence just tend to want to get by, live and let live, serve their time peacefully, then fuck off if they can.

TheoK

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2012, 12:19:06 PM »
[suspicious]Two times in jail? All respect! I have only been in custody and the nuthouse.[/suspicious]

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »
I got remanded once, and transferred from a cat C pesthole, to a cat A wing in strangeways.