I don't drive
1 (5.9%)
Doesn't apply
0 (0%)
Bewbs
4 (23.5%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: August 07, 2015, 12:43:07 PM

Author Topic: Back in or pull in?  (Read 923 times)

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
Re: Back in or pull in?
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2015, 04:57:01 PM »
It is a beautiful car Butterflies.  8)

You have to follow your dreams.

From the time I was little I always wanted a VW Karmann Ghia. Why? Probably because I am a spaz, and we used to pass one every day on the way to school. :autism:

When I turned 16, that was the car I had to have...and did. It was a nightmare of a car I held on to for 10 years, somehow hoping to work all the bugs out of it.

Never did, something went wrong with it every week I think, my mother refused to ride in it, thought it was haunted (another story)...the only good thing about it was that it really looked beautiful setting in the driveway. When I finally got rid of it, I was still a little sad to let the dream go, but relieved. :LOL:

Hoping you have a better experience.

Did you have one with an air-cooled engine?

The sound of the air-cooled engines of VW always makes me smile.

Yep it was a 69. Bought an air-cooled 73 Beetle for $250 a year later because it was always broke down.

The beetle's engine was about toasted, the brakes were non-existent, and it looked like a Halloween pumpkin. Hated it, but my dad talked me into it.

Fixed the brakes, got another engine eventually, and ran it for almost 15 years.
Best.
Car.
Ever. :laugh:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:58:50 PM by Icequeen »

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2015, 05:42:48 PM »
It is a beautiful car Butterflies.  8)

You have to follow your dreams.

From the time I was little I always wanted a VW Karmann Ghia. Why? Probably because I am a spaz, and we used to pass one every day on the way to school. :autism:

When I turned 16, that was the car I had to have...and did. It was a nightmare of a car I held on to for 10 years, somehow hoping to work all the bugs out of it.

Never did, something went wrong with it every week I think, my mother refused to ride in it, thought it was haunted (another story)...the only good thing about it was that it really looked beautiful setting in the driveway. When I finally got rid of it, I was still a little sad to let the dream go, but relieved. :LOL:

Hoping you have a better experience.

Did you have one with an air-cooled engine?

The sound of the air-cooled engines of VW always makes me smile.

Yep it was a 69. Bought an air-cooled 73 Beetle for $250 a year later because it was always broke down.

The beetle's engine was about toasted, the brakes were non-existent, and it looked like a Halloween pumpkin. Hated it, but my dad talked me into it.

Fixed the brakes, got another engine eventually, and ran it for almost 15 years.
Best.
Car.
Ever. :laugh:
My sister in law got a brand new red 72 Beetle as a high school graduation present, I know WTF,  they drove the crap out of that thing taking it to Mexico twice and kept it up until the mid 90s when the rust was taking it's toll
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2015, 05:52:43 PM »
Can only remember two cars from my uncle. A black beetle and an orange one. The last one outlived him and made it to this millennium. It was a pile of rust by then, but still.

We had a VW variant when I was little. Dad needed a big car for his work. Pleasant memories, that car.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline rock hound

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • The Lurker at the Threshold.
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2015, 06:24:29 PM »
My in laws had close to 20 VW Beetles as well as a Karmann Ghia.  Sitting on top of a gravel hill and inside his barns.  We never knew how many he actually had until we began pulling them out one by one to sell for either scrap or for collectors as he begins to get rid of stuff for the house and land sale.     :headhurts:
"Some books are to be tasted.  Others to be swallowed.  And some few to be chewed and digested."  --Sir Francis Bacon

"Civilization exists by geologic consent.  Subject to change without notice."  --Will Durant

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2015, 05:53:32 AM »
It's nice being able to just drive away especially when I am pulling the trailer

A lot of people have no clue about how to back in a trailer. Huge fun to watch them try, sometimes. :zoinks:

Still learning the trick of backing a boat trailer into tight spaces, but I think I am catching on pretty quickly.

There's actually not much to it.
I call bullshit.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Jack

• Reiterative Utterance of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • You don't know Jack.
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2015, 04:26:23 PM »
Some people seem to have a natural knack for it.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2015, 04:56:30 PM »
Some people seem to have a natural knack for it.

And some have a natural knack for hitting mailboxes :zoinks:
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2015, 08:11:35 PM »
I have hit bins backing out of my sister's driveway.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Icequeen

• News Box Slave
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I peopled today.
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2015, 08:32:34 PM »
I will drive anything.

That doesn't mean that it's necessarily a good idea, or that I do it well. :autism:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2015, 09:53:03 PM »
It's nice being able to just drive away especially when I am pulling the trailer

A lot of people have no clue about how to back in a trailer. Huge fun to watch them try, sometimes. :zoinks:

Still learning the trick of backing a boat trailer into tight spaces, but I think I am catching on pretty quickly.

There's actually not much to it.
I call bullshit.

I don't know what to say except that I've never had any trouble with it. I've seen lots of people fail miserably while trying, every damned time, but I honestly know why. All you have to do is to pay close attention to your side mirrors and remember which way the wheel must go.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2015, 09:54:04 PM »
I will drive anything.

That doesn't mean that it's necessarily a good idea, or that I do it well. :autism:

Me too, pretty much. There are a number of cars I don't like to drive, but that's different.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline WolFish

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2015, 09:56:01 AM »
I back in unless I am with Py in an irritable mood. Having worked 15 years on the crisis team, I am a fan of a quick getaway.
I've had neighbors, partners and my mother all ask me to park their cars. I can back in a 20 foot U-Haul but it would take me a long time to back in with a trailer. I've only had to park a trailer once, and that was a long time ago when I had more confidence. I was moving from NYC to Albany and they had no 20ft trucks left so I got a 16 foot truck with a little trailer and parallel parked it with no trouble. The sad thing was that we managed to get everything into the truck so I had to drive back to the UHaul place (from Brooklyn to Manhattan) to drop it off. Once we were out of the city we discovered that the speed limiter was stuck on 45 mph. There was no place that could fix it without a day's delay, so since Albany wasn't far, my partner and I and the cats suffered through it.
Mark Twain: “Never argue with a [troll], onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”

#Dancewithgarygopher