Educational

Author Topic: Before you climb up my ass, with a list of questions ...  (Read 16878 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Before you climb up my ass, with a list of questions ...
« Reply #330 on: May 13, 2008, 02:06:05 PM »
I use the goggle tool bar spell check constantly

That doesn't work for me, nor does Firefox's spell checker. You have to at least be "close" to the word for the spell checker to help much.

The Firefox spell checker is quite handy since it works in real time.

Yeah, it catches any, "I before E, except after C"  mistakes right away, but it often suggests nothing even similar to the word I need.

I keep it off most of the time, but sometimes I try it again. It serves a function, but not mine, usually.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #331 on: May 13, 2008, 02:19:02 PM »

That doesn't work for me, nor does Firefox's spell checker. You have to at least be "close" to the word for the spell checker to help much.

Yeah, it catches any, "I before E, except after C"  mistakes right away, but it often suggests nothing even similar to the word I need.

I keep it off most of the time, but sometimes I try it again. It serves a function, but not mine, usually.

Maybe you should look into those auto-complete programs out there? There are a few that help you write both faster andbetter.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #332 on: May 13, 2008, 02:53:26 PM »

Maybe you should look into those auto-complete programs out there? There are a few that help you write both faster andbetter.

... or just make it a point to slow down when I know I have been "exposed"  to the kinds of things that send me into space without my cowboy hat.

I will try. I promise I will try.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #333 on: May 14, 2008, 12:50:10 PM »
Don't worry, Dawg. It doesn't bother me.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #334 on: June 23, 2008, 08:34:52 AM »
I found Zeiss Ikon folding camera  it says Nettar 515/2 in it it appears to be of WW2 vintage.  Could this be worth anything?  I am going to show it to my photographer brother but will not see him till the 4th of July.  I believe it takes standard 120 film
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #335 on: June 23, 2008, 03:12:20 PM »
I found Zeiss Ikon folding camera  it says Nettar 515/2 in it it appears to be of WW2 vintage.  Could this be worth anything?  I am going to show it to my photographer brother but will not see him till the 4th of July.  I believe it takes standard 120 film

Impossible to say, precisely. I could not even get you in the ballpark without a close inspection and some research. Lots of info on these can be found on the net. They made buttloads of these things so they are not rare, but that also means that many camera guys are familiar with them.
Does it work? Is the leather still good? Is the lens in good shape? You will need to know the lens design and the shutter design, before you can even begin to assess its value. The serial number will also help to determine when it was made and which specific improvements to the design were included in your camera.

I have seen working examples go for fifteen bucks, several years ago. Specific lens design, shutter type, film transport mechanism improvements, optical rangefinders and several other factors determine the value, in addition to the overall condition. I've seen desirable ones, with Compur shutters and faster (Tessar f/4.5) lenses, in pristine condition, go for close to a thousand bucks.

It's been years since I went to a camera show looking for goodies. The last few times I went, literally six or seven years ago, I was looking for professional equipment and did not even browse the collector models from the past.

It's a great find either way!

Here's a guy who collects cameras who also lists a Nettar 515/2.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #336 on: June 23, 2008, 03:24:07 PM »

Yes, it probably is worth something. How's the lense? Any damage to it?

- Albert Einstein

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #337 on: June 23, 2008, 05:44:00 PM »
Everything on it is in good shape even the leather  I will bring it to my brother on the forth for him to check it out,  he is a photographer and an antique dealer

George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #338 on: June 23, 2008, 07:53:58 PM »
Everything on it is in good shape even the leather  I will bring it to my brother on the forth for him to check it out,  he is a photographer and an antique dealer

COOoool!

You should run a couple of rolls of film through it anyway, just for fun. You will probably have to find a pro shop to process it, but a six by nine negative makes a really nice print, especially in black and white.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #339 on: June 24, 2008, 02:24:28 PM »
Yes, you should shoot a few rolls, just to see what it's like.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #340 on: July 04, 2008, 06:53:29 AM »
It's a submariner's expression. When they receive no return echo, the protocol is to increase power to the ultrasonic mapping equipment. They call it "sounding." Deep-sounding is extreme use of the power potential of their systems.

Does increasing the power work better for you than changing the frequency?
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #341 on: July 04, 2008, 07:56:45 AM »
It's a submariner's expression. When they receive no return echo, the protocol is to increase power to the ultrasonic mapping equipment. They call it "sounding." Deep-sounding is extreme use of the power potential of their systems.

Does increasing the power work better for you than changing the frequency?

Of couse not, but within those amchines, the practical stops have been reached before deployment. They are also capable of multiple frequency detections and full spectrum sounding and full spectrum detection (within their own limits0.

Finding my own limits has been a lifelong search. Usually interest wanes long before stamina is used up.
That of course affects which frequencies I claim as my own.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #342 on: July 04, 2008, 08:23:01 AM »

None of my stops had been determined when I started. If so, then the limits were not clear.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #343 on: July 04, 2008, 09:57:14 PM »
My brother says the camera is from the 1930's and in very good condition.   He said to put $100on it and accept no less than $70 not bad for a trash find it even has the owners name and address in Austria inside

George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #344 on: July 06, 2008, 03:07:13 PM »
What's the make of that camera?

- Albert Einstein