Educational

Author Topic: Before you climb up my ass, with a list of questions ...  (Read 17014 times)

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
Re: Before you climb up my ass, with a list of questions ...
« Reply #255 on: December 25, 2007, 06:11:38 PM »
Fascinating. I have synesthesia (color/sound) but it's pretty mild and doesn't interfere with everyday life. My hearing can be fucked-up oversensitive at times but not the kind where I could detect minute variations in pitch and tone - more like some types of sound are amplified in my consciousness to frustration levels.
I call it a problem, but the reality is that i know no other way to see, hear, smell. forget taste, because there's almost nothing there. I was actually a half grown teen when i started to realize why I was always so afraid, angry and moody. nothing ever was the same from one look to the next and it was because that the sounds were also different. my answer was to look closer and listen more deeply and really try to remember and become more aware of what is happening all around me. School was a nightmare but if i could read the lesson i had it first try and often read the entire set of textbooks in the first month of school. So, i knew i was smart and if i really tried i could do better at keeping track of all that was happening all around me, instead of just halfdying of fear every time something moved or squeaked.

I guess it probably doesn't makes sense, but what i mean is that i started to have the courage to actually look at things more deeply and listen more deeply and try to sort it out by details, instead of just cringing and covering my ears or fluttering my eyelids constantly in my autie way. it was a process but once it started to work, i was obsessed with seeking out new things, obviously.
that's when I stupidly dropped out of high school and took off down the road with a band for the first time.
 ::)

As I got older it became obvious to me, finally, that no one else ever seemed to "see what i see" or "hear what i hear." 

I only learned what it was called after my son was diagnosed with Dysfunction of Sensory Integration and i began reading about all the different forms. I was still in denial of many things at that point, but evidence and understanding was piling up. He does not have more than a mild crossover, thank goodness. However, at his age i did not know i was "wrong", either. We have been through a great deal of analysis with these two though, none of which my parents had the means to pursue had there even been any reason to think that my problems were anything more than emotional or behavioral.

When i say it causes me daily problems,
it is because of the amount of concentration and focus (concentration ... with ADHD ... yeah right! :D) i have to maintain. It exhausts me rather quickly sometimes and it's a mental fatigue.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2007, 06:17:31 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #256 on: December 25, 2007, 06:19:21 PM »
Loud sudden sounds are cause bright flashes in my eyes to me and can be almost paralyzing not much cross over with smell though

That is the basic definition.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #257 on: December 25, 2007, 06:31:26 PM »
i don't have synesthesia, but i do get the thing with sound/colour a bit. much more with letters and numbers though. oh and days of the week, they have colours too lol

I'm not sure what that is. I have heard this from others, but to me everything has colors, patterns, layers and sounds, not just certain words.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #258 on: December 28, 2007, 10:43:13 PM »
Loud sudden sounds are cause bright flashes in my eyes to me and can be almost paralyzing not much cross over with smell though

That is the basic definition.
And that is me exactly too.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #259 on: January 09, 2008, 04:35:52 PM »
What's the most erotic thing you've done,
with a member of your own gender?

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #260 on: January 18, 2008, 06:42:23 PM »
One simple question knowing where you work and all.  All there stores around here are incredibly loud is it the same in yours and if so how do you handle it.  I have even walked out before because they had the music so loud and I had forgotten my ear plugs.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #261 on: January 18, 2008, 10:31:18 PM »
Work. Why did they have to call it "work," anyway?

Oh yeah, sometimes it's loud.

I may have fairly sensitive ears, but I don't get overloaded from just high volumes of sound or even bright lights. While I still have a threshold, mine is quite a ways from what you are describing. Maybe you don't know, but, I listen to my own music very loud, sometimes - on my own. An average person would not be able to tolerate my home sound system for more than a few minutes, but I love it and I consider it a type of personal therapy. My system is capable of fairly high sound pressure level beginning in the sub-audible range. Ask Odeon to verify, but low frequency sound takes some tricks and lots of power.

At work I don't have the pleasure of my own music, though. It is often canned mixes from a corporate distribution on CD or a hard drive that we switch out on scheduled dates. I just have to block that out and NOT hear it, so to speak. I can do that fairly well for about three or four hours on a better day, but by the end of a long day, I am somewhat overloaded. I have been guilty of showing up here whacked out from work and trying to post before I found my center and calmed myself down. Some people thought I was drunk. In fact my wife still thinks I am drunk, sometimes, when I am whacked from sensory overload - stumbling around, bumping into things, unable to sit still, slurring my speech, jumping out of my skin if touched, talking a hundred miles per hour and way too loudly, not making sense, obsessively manipulating something, spinning or tapping things - it's typical low functioning behavior actually, now that I know what that means.

I am lucky in that I am usually working in the warehouse, while the store is open, or at least back and forth to the front, carrying things out to the sales floor or re-setting some display that has to be changed for an advertisement. I can deal with short bursts of extreme annoyances for quite a while, but if I was going to our store to buy a television or a refrigerator (something that I was going to have to live with for a long time) I would hardly be able to think long enough to make a good purchase decision. My wife would have to come with me and hold my hand (:D).

Honestly, the lights bother me more than the sounds though. They use mercury vapor lighting for economy, but they are not well dispersed or balanced. There are dark spots and bright spots. Also as the fixtures and bulbs age the spectrum they produce drifts a little and some spots are a different color. I am sensitive to the color of light and to a balance of intensity of the light also. Again, I have a wide tolerability threshold, but it adds up after a while. It has nothing to do with the overall brightness, though. When I was working in photography, I had no problems with the studio strobes I used, either. In fact I always kept my eyes open normally during the exposure flash and I am able to see the balance of the  strobes. If one of them is getting weak, I am always the first to notice. (I could also tell by the sound they made.) More importantly, I was absolutely sure what the portrait would look like and I knew if my timing was not good and I had missed an expression. I KNEW if I had a blnk. I knew that a light hit the nose from above when it shouldn't. I knew if I had given them Rudolph Syndrome by allowing a strobe to light their nose from behind making it glow red. I could see it and it does not hurt me.

The weird thing is that the lights in our store are enough different from each other that when I look across the store I see a landscape like dunes in a desert or something, because of how much brighter some areas are. I have actually given names to some of the more over achieving lights, like Spike and Tiger, and old geezer names, like Gerard and Reginald for some of the wimpy ones. Sounds stupid, but that helps to distract me and prevent me from succumbing to the vertigo, dizziness and kinetosis that I feel as I look across the uneven landscape of lighting.

As bad as all that sounds, I can deal with ALL of that a hell of a lot easier than I can deal with a constant parade of new people to have to work with on some personal level. I've been there almost four months and there are now only about sixty people who work there. When the store is open there are usually only fifteen to twenty people there. I'm talking about fellow employees, only. There are always eight or ten people who I have not allowed contact with, except for "strictly business" reasons and it was very quick answers, directions, questions, etc, but absolutely no exchange of personality fluids, if you know what I mean. I can only let in so many people at a time. If I work there long enough, I will eventually get to know and (be forced to) interact with all of them, but it is slow for me to do that. At my rate it will be over a year, before I can allow that many people. Customers are not so bad, because I know they will go away soon.

I have been told over and over that I am a really good salesman, but I don't think so and I certainly don't want to spend a day on the sales floor. Yes I have sold a bunch of stuff up there already, but it was always just answering a few questions at first and I really don't know enough about many of the procedures to do that job well. Now I have learned buttloads about much of what we sell and I can answer even more questions, so if the customer is there to buy already, I can help them find what they want and show them where to pay. I also have spent much of my life on the road away from "my comfort zone" so I have this instinct to take back-up stuff and keep every eventuality covered. This leads me to ask the customer if they have cables or cleaners or media or power strips or flash drives or cases, etc. They have a fancy name for that on the sales floor, but to me that's just my way of giving them everything they want so they will go away sooner.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 10:39:17 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #262 on: January 19, 2008, 08:57:22 PM »
What's the most erotic thing you've done,
with a member of your own gender?

I am not ignoring you.

I just noticed this last night for the first time and I've given it some thought.

I was quite experimental in my early twenties. I did everything that happens and some group things too. I have no idea why I never had an STD.

To me, THE most erotic was I believe called an "A-frame."

Imagine an MFM double fuck and the Ms are kissing. Some guys are really good kissers. A circle blow from a talented lady with six other guys was kind of sexy, too, but I wasn't really doing anything with the other guys, except watching them get head. A pretty red head it was, too. It was my first time encounter with a freckled girl. I found the freckles mesmerizing.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #263 on: February 04, 2008, 06:21:25 AM »
Thought you'd get a kick out of this.
Ran into it at random.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #264 on: February 26, 2008, 04:47:33 PM »
Here is a weird one the radio in my truck just stopped making any sound even on the CD.  It still goes on and shows stations but doesn't play.  No info shows on the stations like it used to so
i don't think it's getting signal either.  Probably just replace it  but the whole thing strikes me as weird

George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #265 on: February 26, 2008, 05:01:35 PM »
Here is a weird one the radio in my truck just stopped making any sound even on the CD.  It still goes on and shows stations but doesn't play.  No info shows on the stations like it used to so
i don't think it's getting signal either.  Probably just replace it  but the whole thing strikes me as weird

Mute function, maybe? Some players have wiring for hooking up a mobile phone in the car, including a mute when the phone rings, and there could be a short somewhere. Or, it could simply be a software problem and all you have to do is to cut off power to restart it?!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #266 on: February 26, 2008, 05:13:27 PM »

Mute function, maybe? Some players have wiring for hooking up a mobile phone in the car, including a mute when the phone rings, and there could be a short somewhere. Or, it could simply be a software problem and all you have to do is to cut off power to restart it?!

Good fielding, Odeon!

... and he's exactly right. One other thing to think of is if your system has "high" power, often there is a separate fuse for the amplifier. If the amplifier fuse goes, the whole machine would work as normal but with no sound. Your owner's manual is your friend, in this case.

You can probably find a manual online as well with a model number search at the manufacturer's site, unless it's a factory unit. If so, all bets are off.

If all else fails, buy a new one at Best Buy (:D) or even better order it online from Krutchfield and install it yourself.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 05:15:42 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline Lucifer

• Seraphic Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2008, 05:24:17 PM »

Good fielding, Odeon!

yes, he's good with his hands.   :angel:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2008, 09:48:08 PM »
More on the radio it doesn't pick up any stations at all either it scans though the whole band.  Also I can hear some station barely even when the radio is off coming through the speakers :-\

George Bernard Shaw

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #269 on: February 28, 2008, 01:58:49 AM »
Then I suspect the technical term is "fucked up". :-\
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein