Author Topic: Before you climb up my ass, with a list of questions ...  (Read 16879 times)

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
Re: Before you climb up my ass, with a list of questions ...
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2007, 08:13:57 AM »
It is ok.   I often am thought to be insulting people as well.   I didn't read it as my friend stopped by to smoke bud and play video games at 11:30pm EST lol.   I got into bed early enough thankfully as I am awake at work at 9am.

My car stereo is not aftermarket.   My stereo is a piece of crap compared to yours haha.   Like I said I spend far too much on games, consoles and my PC.   I rarely use my 100 watt Peavey or even my 15 watt.    Seem to just pick up the acoustic and go at it.   If I can play something well on acoustic, it is like swinging a bat with weights on it in the on deck circle.   I take the weights off so to speak when I play the electric and that makes the song easier to play (learning it first on acoustic).

My dad has a pretty nice home theater actually.   65 inch 1080i HDTV, progressive scan DVD player, Dolby 7.1 Yamaha system, the walls are soundproofed, etc.   We often watch movies there as he has Blockbuster Total Access and has movies all the damn time.   He has a 1080p 46 inch LCD in his bedroom but it has an inferior audio system.   He is considering Blue-Ray and a good home theater setup for the TV in his room.
:P   Internets are super serious.

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2007, 12:15:13 PM »

That is definitely some nice display real estate. You should just describe it in acres to save time.
If your dad is that much into the bedroom theater stuff, he certainly needs to get high quality surround sound in his room, too.

I have nothing like that. My movie system is in our modest living room and I usually get some version of "The Look" if I mention expanding the gear at all. It is also used for the kids to do dinosaur gymnastics, build Lego cities, torture the cat, have an occasional carpet picnic, a dive from one of the subwoofers or a quick hand of Let's-See-How-Much-Shit-We-Can-Drag-Out-Before-Dad-Fucking-Screams. I guess if I was really the Man of the house  I would just do it anyway, but I like blowjobs too much to push unilateral decision making very far. That's kind of like trying to rake sand uphill in the wind.

You should get a tiny amp that you can pull out quickly. I know what you mean, though. Sometimes, even that's too much. I can't really play, but you wouldn't know that at first, because I know a lot of licks. I can't keep rhythm for more than a few measures. I bang on it sometimes just to think.

Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2007, 01:33:48 PM »
The 15 watt is fine for that, but I lent it to my friend actually.   I wear headphones to not bother people sometimes anyways.   My effects pedal has stereo outputs so I can run one to each of the amps and it is nice for the chorus effect.   Sometimes if I am not careful I can hurt myself playing for long periods due to how I hold the guitar.   I know scales and modes somewhat and that is how I build riffs when I am just fucking around.   I do mess up on some songs and it isn't like I can play everything perfectly.   

My dad has a good deal of toys.   He is a big kid at heart, even watches children's movies and crap like that lol.    HDTV is a great thing imo.   This is coming from a gamer though haha.   The comcast box with HD and a DVR is pretty badass, it records all of his favourite shows in HD.   He never uses his TiVO anymore (its standard def).   If I was to have one upgrade I would take a HDTV over a sound system in an instant.   If you look at HD ready monitors you can sometimes find really good deals.   My dad orders his stuff online of course but shops at the store first (saves a ton of money).    I really want to get my own 22 to 30 inch 720p or wishful thinking a 1080p HD ready monitor (can just use a cable box for a tuner).

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2007, 05:37:39 PM »
The 15 watt is fine for that, but I lent it to my friend actually.   I wear headphones to not bother people sometimes anyways.   My effects pedal has stereo outputs so I can run one to each of the amps and it is nice for the chorus effect.   Sometimes if I am not careful I can hurt myself playing for long periods due to how I hold the guitar.   I know scales and modes somewhat and that is how I build riffs when I am just fucking around.   I do mess up on some songs and it isn't like I can play everything perfectly.   

My dad has a good deal of toys.   He is a big kid at heart, even watches children's movies and crap like that lol.    HDTV is a great thing imo.   This is coming from a gamer though haha.   The comcast box with HD and a DVR is pretty badass, it records all of his favourite shows in HD.   He never uses his TiVO anymore (its standard def).   If I was to have one upgrade I would take a HDTV over a sound system in an instant.   If you look at HD ready monitors you can sometimes find really good deals.   My dad orders his stuff online of course but shops at the store first (saves a ton of money).    I really want to get my own 22 to 30 inch 720p or wishful thinking a 1080p HD ready monitor (can just use a cable box for a tuner).
I've looked at the HD stuff, bunches of times. I haven't seen any deals though. When I get ready, I will probably order one from a net dealer, too. Right now, I am looking for deals that I can take home immediately, in boys size nine jeans and girls dresses, size six, that INCLUDE BUILT IN SHORTS, PLEASE!!
I have a little wait, first. Hoping Blu-Ray will be mainstream by then.

Do you have one of those little headphione jobbies that plugs directly into the guitar, with a set of in/outs on the side? Those are fucking killer! I have an old Strat that they don't work well on, but all my other guitars drive it just fine. I made the mistake of taking my cherry Strat to the music store (more to show off, really) when I tried them out for the first time and I thought they were shit. Then another kid showed up with one at a church (where I used to do some volunteer sound work - don't get me wrong - I'm only in it for the music) when I had my beater Epiphone with me and I was very impressed. Everyone who lives in town should have a set. I live in town. I want one.

Your fifteen watt? What is it? My Champ is four watts with the (starved heater) tubes I have in it? I actually cloned it (not the vinyl) and so I have two, except mine has better parts in it. I dig stereo chorus effects, echo, shifting and stuff. I get lost for an hour sometimes, just banging on the damn things. I have one of the original ADA digital reverb/echo/phase/chorus rack mount pieces that I use.
Now, if only I could really play.
 :laugh:
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Alex179

• Prince, General
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Socially retarded
« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2007, 10:08:37 PM »
As long as you have fun that is all that matters.   Don't be so harsh on yourself and play what you find is fun for you to play.   Just play for your own enjoyment.   

I have a 15 watt Peavy, it is solid state.   Having tons of effects at your disposal is fun that much is for sure.   Can easily get carried away.

I agree that clothing is important, I don't shop for kids clothes ever since nobody currently in my immediate family is younger than 23.  My dad gets some of his stuff at Costco/Sams.   He spends a good deal of time there to buy everything, doesn't shop for clothes online.    Really I don't know anyone who buys clothes online.   Outlet stores around here have good deals, especially when Florida residents get no sales tax (certain time of the year).   That is when people buy up shit like crazy.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #200 on: August 16, 2007, 06:35:17 AM »
As long as you have fun that is all that matters.   Don't be so harsh on yourself and play what you find is fun for you to play.   Just play for your own enjoyment.   

I have a 15 watt Peavy, it is solid state.   Having tons of effects at your disposal is fun that much is for sure.   Can easily get carried away.

I agree that clothing is important, I don't shop for kids clothes ever since nobody currently in my immediate family is younger than 23.  My dad gets some of his stuff at Costco/Sams.   He spends a good deal of time there to buy everything, doesn't shop for clothes online.    Really I don't know anyone who buys clothes online.   Outlet stores around here have good deals, especially when Florida residents get no sales tax (certain time of the year).   That is when people buy up shit like crazy.

Tax amnesty? Fuck - that would be cool. I'll bet it is a big sale time. I wonder if any other state legislatures are taking notes.
Around here, all the outlet stores are crap. The only notable manufacturer/importer we have that is clothes oriented is Burlington. The rest are all automotive industry related, except Corning or Ely Lilly. Too bad Ely Lilly doesn't have an outlet store.  :angel:

I grew up playing guitar, aspiring to be like some of the guys my dad knew. He worked in a music store most of his life and eventually started up his own business. He had an amazing set of contacts, people who had either been involved with or actually were legends in the fifties and sixties. I had more inspiration than anyone should ever have. Friends my age and I, all kept pace improving our music knowledge and skills together, but at a certain point about the time I got out of high school, I never improved past that level. Woodshedding no longer makes a difference, except to re-learn some dexterous movements that get rusty. As you know rust never rests and when I don't play, I lose dexterity quickly.

Like you, though, I play for my own entertainment and when I'm not down on myself, I have plenty of fun just making noise. I do have a variety of effects to call upon for even more noise. Generally, I collect odd things, but I never kept guitar effects pedals. One time, when I moved I left on the curb a big box of Electro-Harmonix stuff, some working and some not, including a working Wah-Wah pedal, like Jimi Hendrix used and one that needed repair. I had room for all my instruments, but not all the accessories. Fuck me! I didn't leave any tools behind, either, but I had to leave lots of stuff I regret losing.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #201 on: September 23, 2007, 02:05:02 AM »
MD, what is the new job you have got?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #202 on: September 23, 2007, 03:46:29 AM »
MD, what is the new job you have got?

There is one more step in the process, before I am sure that I have the job.

If I pass ... then, I will be receiving and unpacking merchandise and assembling display areas, following a designed floorplan, for four Best Buy  stores in the area. I will work at a hub warehouse, and travel to the various stores in a company truck with materials and merchandise for assembly on-site. It seems a couple of steps more complicated than generic warehouse monkey.

Some of it will involve stocking CD, game and DVD shelves, but I could also be part of a team who occasionally sets their "Studio" displays of the newest HD equipment, removes and re-packs last month's display stuff, etc. I have a few things to learn.

I am hopeful, at this point.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #203 on: September 23, 2007, 04:15:15 AM »
That sounds like a cool job. We don't have Best Buy stores in Australia.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #204 on: September 26, 2007, 02:32:31 AM »
You said you ignore my PMs. What PMs have I sent you? Why do you ignore them?

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #205 on: September 26, 2007, 03:12:11 AM »
You said you ignore my PMs. What PMs have I sent you? Why do you ignore them?

You can be so incredibly cute, sometimes, that it boggles my mind.

I was joking with you, that's all. I generally don't ignore people. Like someone else mentioned, if I do not want contact from a specific person, I always make that perfectly clear to them. It's easier that way.

I was very stimmed out last night and I was responding to every thread that popped up with some of my weirdness.

Offline Calandale

• Official sheep shagger of the aspie underclass
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond The Pale
  • peep
    • The Game Box: Live!
« Reply #206 on: September 26, 2007, 03:23:16 AM »

I was very stimmed out last night and I was responding to every thread that popped up with some of my weirdness.

Wonder what was going on last night?
I felt the same.

Now, I'm just PMSing.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #207 on: September 26, 2007, 04:41:19 AM »
For me, it was from being stressed out.

I had another interview session, but since they were so busy this time, they put us in the room where all the security monitors and alarms were buzzing constantly. The room was small, hot, dusty and there were eight monitors, at least two of which have a questionable horizontal oscillator high voltage supply and they whined more than the others at about 15KHz. They are set up with a four-way split screens running. Some of the cameras were panning constantly and occasionally a red light warns that that particular camera is being recorded, separately from the others. Also yellow light comes on each camera to warn of movement in the area of each camera's view. The electrical distrubution was also in that room and there was a high pitched fan on a battery backup for their alarms which swiched on and off irregularly. The air conditioning duct made a miserable sigh as it forced stale air past a few too many tight curves and it also pressurized the room after closing the door.

Needless to say I was very distracted during the interview.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2007, 05:42:37 PM »
I know you are into audio,tubes and such and thought you might be interested in what I found in an attic I was working on today.  They are two aluminum disks covered with acetate one almost completely peeled that are maybe twenty inches in diameter. They look like big records I believe they were recordings that were sent to radio stations but never saw anything like this. one is dated in the 1940's here are some pictures.  Do you know any more?

"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2007, 05:59:37 PM »
I know you are into audio,tubes and such and thought you might be interested in what I found in an attic I was working on today.  They are two aluminum disks covered with acetate one almost completely peeled that are maybe twenty inches in diameter. They look like big records I believe they were recordings that were sent to radio stations but never saw anything like this. one is dated in the 1940's here are some pictures.  Do you know any more?

You're right. They are commonly called Transcription Discs.

Here's an article about them. There's lots more about programming transcription and related discs if you do a search.

"Although new to me in 1944, electrical transcriptions had been around for fifteen years. Western Electric (aka "AT&T"!) had pioneered large-disc recordings at much slower speeds for the early "talkies." When an optical sound-on-film process replaced these early transcriptions, the technology was taken over by entrepreneurs who saw a future for such transcriptions in radio broadcasting. The fidelity of the transcription discs was far superior to 78 rpm records -- much less surface noise. Radio networks were in their infancy, and programs could be sent via discs to individual radio stations in all parts of the country to be played at optimum times for the local markets. Amos 'n Andy in 1929 was the first program to be syndicated on two transcription discs of 5 minutes each, which were then joined in the middle by a local commercial announcement. However, these Amos 'n Andy transcriptonswere recorded at the 78 rpm speed. The World Broadcasting Service in 1929 was the first transcription company to license the slower-speed Western Electric technology."