Educational

Author Topic: Share your embarrassing autard moments  (Read 590 times)

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Share your embarrassing autard moments
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2012, 01:06:35 PM »
My autard moments are when I blurt something out that is true without thinking and I know it was rude of me to say but it was like a tic and it just came out without even thinking about it. Like if someone says a wrong fact about a person, I all of a sudden correct them and that person was right there where he can clearly hear it and I am so embarrassed. But I am not always right is the thing. Like one time in high school, my brothers had friends over. My mom comments about his skinny this kid is and I say "No he's not, he's fat" and then I realized what had just happened and those words had came out of my mouth without thinking. I was expecting everyone to be mad at me but instead my mother laughed and told me "he isn't fat, it's all muscle, feel" and she told me I made him cry and I look at his face and it's all red but he is smiling and I say "no he's not." I got over this quick because no one was mad at me nor upset and no one was hurt nor offended. I just have to be more careful is all. I used to do these sort of things a lot in elementary school but therapy helped and it helped slowed my brain down. Maybe it was a ADD moment too since they also tend to say things without thinking but the difference is they are aware of what they are saying is rude and wrong, they just can't control the impulse. it happens so fast, they have no control over it. I know it's wrong to call people fat and I said it without thinking because I had to correct my mother and I did it on impulse.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Share your embarrassing autard moments
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 01:17:46 PM »
Oh my other autard moment is when I wrote cheap in the thank you card to my aunt thinking she would find it funny because everyone else found it funny when I said it about her and her husband and their daughter.

I said as I was opening my wedding present "They may be cheap but at least they weren't cheap enough to not get us a wedding present" and everyone laughed. Mom asked me "And who taught you to say that Beth" and I said "dad" and mom starts saying her husband's name and everyone looks at him and he starts to deny it.

Then few weeks later I am making out thank you cards and I write it in the card to them thinking they would find it funny but instead I get a letter from my aunt about it and she was hurt by it.

I found out after the incident that cheap is an insult and has a bad meaning to it and other aspies already knew it was not a nice word to use because of the negative meaning to it. But yet my dad has always called me cheap and mom has called me a cheap skate and mom calls herself cheap because she shops in the clearance and buys what is on sale and stays at inexpensive hotels. I had no idea she was using irony and I am thinking now that when she asked me at the party who taught me to say that was to save my ass so no one would be mad at me. I also didn't know the laughing they were doing was a "I can't believe she said that" than a "ha ha that was so funny" laughter. I totally misread the situation and took my parents so literal and I had no idea they had been insulting me over the years by calling me cheap. Mostly my dad calls me cheap. So I copied them.

But however if I had said instead "they may be frugal but at least they weren't frugal enough to not get us a wedding present" things would have been different and mom told me I am right about that because it would be. Everyone would go "yeah Beth you are right they are very frugal" than laughing about it having me think I said something funny and that I told a joke that was meant to be a compliment.

I just felt so stupid after the whole thing.