Author Topic: Books I've Never Read  (Read 2290 times)

midlifeaspie

Re: Books I've Never Read
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2012, 09:07:37 AM »
I don't thing it's the slightest bit cute or funny when kids swear, so I don't do it myself.  I explained that some people talk like that because they don't have the vocabulary to express themselves and their feelings otherwise and that unfortunately, some kids don't learn any better because that's what their parents say and they imitate them.

I couldn't disagree more.  I am opposed to the very concept of a "bad word".  I don't live in medieval Europe and don't think that the gods are going to curse me for using certain phonemes in a certain order.  I think it is ridiculous.  My kids will know all the words and how and when to use them properly.  If you don't know how to properly "swear" you really don't know how to express yourself.  Sure, there are appropriate and inappropriate times, and appropriate and inappropriate people to do it in front of.  Teaching a child how to maneuver the social order of things is a much more challenging job than teaching verbal abstinence because of outdated morality.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2012, 09:14:16 AM »
Like it or not, you're not helping your kids maneuver the social order of things if you ignore the so-called bad words. Nothing to do with medieval Europe or, for that matter, the poorly educated US (just say so if you want to avoid the stereotypes here).
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

TheoK

« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2012, 09:16:23 AM »
Ah, just learn them when it's appropriate to swear  :thumbup:

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2012, 09:16:47 AM »

:indeed:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

midlifeaspie

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2012, 09:19:13 AM »

:indeed:

This contradicts what you just said above in contradicting what I originally said  :autism:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2012, 10:28:40 AM »
  I explained that some people talk like that because they don't have the vocabulary to express themselves and their feelings otherwise

::)

And then there's also those of us who like swearing AND have a good vocabulary.

Not everyone who swears is incapable of expressing themselves without saying fuck or shit , you know

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2012, 10:29:02 AM »
"Kit's Guide to Proper English" - by Kit :zoinks:

Hey I think that be a really good book

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2012, 10:32:49 AM »
I don't thing it's the slightest bit cute or funny when kids swear, so I don't do it myself.  I explained that some people talk like that because they don't have the vocabulary to express themselves and their feelings otherwise and that unfortunately, some kids don't learn any better because that's what their parents say and they imitate them.

I couldn't disagree more.  I am opposed to the very concept of a "bad word".  I don't live in medieval Europe and don't think that the gods are going to curse me for using certain phonemes in a certain order.  I think it is ridiculous.  My kids will know all the words and how and when to use them properly.  If you don't know how to properly "swear" you really don't know how to express yourself.  Sure, there are appropriate and inappropriate times, and appropriate and inappropriate people to do it in front of.  Teaching a child how to maneuver the social order of things is a much more challenging job than teaching verbal abstinence because of outdated morality.

I completely agree about "bad" words (although I dunno how I'd handle it if I had kids. I don't swear in front of kids, except occasionally by accident lol, but I have no idea how I'd approach the subject if I had any of my own and it was my responsibility to explain them)

As far as the adult world goes though, I think it's fucking stupid. Whenever I see words censored in newspapers it really irritates me. Especially when I have to think for a second about what the word actually is (do they mean cock or cunt? :zoinks: ). There's absolutely NO excuse for censoring swear words when there's no reasonable likelihood of kids reading/hearing it

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2012, 10:36:06 AM »
btw I have found my brother swearing funny before. Obviously I've tried not to show that, as he would have done it again. But to me, as long as it's a one-off thing because he's heard it at school and repeated it, I think it's amusing because it's something you don't expect from a kid, but which is actually harmless really (the word itself I mean, obviously if he went up to the teacher and repeated it he would be in trouble)

I find youtube videos of parrots swearing pretty funny too

If I hear kids swearing as if they do it all the time though, then I don't find it funny. But the occasional one you get from little children who've heard it but don't understand it? I do find that funny. Well, I guess it depends on the level of it really. A "mild" swear word is funny. If I heard my brother say Cunt I doubt I would :P I think I;d just be shocked haha

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2012, 10:38:07 AM »
People who are offended by swearing are fucking retarded

And I mean people who are merely offended by the word itself, not the use of it

I can understand someone being offended if you called them a nigger. I cna't understand someone being offended by reading the phrase "I feel like shit today" or "It's so fucking hot in here"

TheoK

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2012, 10:42:02 AM »
My brother swears in a hilarious way. For instance, he calls gay people "hose friends".  :lol1:

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2012, 10:43:39 AM »
I think some swearing can be hilarious too. Especially when people are creative about it. I love swearing :)

I admit I am trying to cut down a little on facebook though, as my family always complain lol

Offline lutra

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • nosce te ipsum
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2012, 12:16:47 PM »
'Abstract drawing.. without any details'.. by Z. Egh.
'How Jesus Christ came into my life'.. by L. Utra.
'Classic yodel songs.. for 'round the camp fire'.. by P.S. Penguin.
Solum certum nihil esse certi et homine nihil miserius aut superbius.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2012, 02:16:43 AM »
"My Friend Callaway and Me" - by Adam

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2012, 07:54:32 AM »

It's not because of outdated morality that I do not use swear words in front of my daughter.  It's because I don't want to hear them coming from her innocent mouth a million times.

She has heard several swear words now that she is older, but the difference is that now she's old enough to know that she isn't supposed to repeat them.