Educational

Author Topic: Want to body build for real strength  (Read 878 times)

Offline Al Swearegen

• Pussycat of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Always front on and in your face
Re: Want to body build for real strength
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 04:40:17 PM »
It might be the difference between auties and aspies. Many aspies are so average to normal in their behavior and skills it more resembles NT.

I dunno. I was diagnosed with Aspergers. My boy with HFA. We are similar and I was very much like him when I was younger.
Through learning by rote and with a drive not to be vulnerable I have painfully learned how to make do. He does not have that automy or awareness and a lot of innocence. I get torn by wanting him to maintain this innocence and child-like dependency and to toughen him up and push him into "developing" into an adult capable of meeting the world head on like I have had to do.
I just don't want him hurt too much along the way.

I can understand your concerns for your son.

I was labeled aspie too, mainly because I have above average IQ, but I had classic early onset autism and don't think aspie is entirely accurate in my case.

I think on this forum we are all spazzes. You are, I am, Odeon is and PPK and BruceCM...all of us. Level playing field. We all struggle. Whether or not we throw our hands up in the air and resign ourselves to it or whether we doggedly struggle on and handle the indifference in society, the embarassment and humiliations, the isolations and the stress that comes with being "out of the loop" is up to us. It does not do a damn thing to change what and who we are.
Some forums are disempowering and try to take the approach of comforting and fostering this disempowerment. Here? A little different. We are more, "so what"? Making a case for your personal struggles will fall on deaf ears for the most part, it is not what this place is designed for. The good news is that it too is across the board.
Here is one of the few places you can have a go at anyone regardless of seniority or popularity or whatever and you are accountable on what you say and they are accountable on what they say. No banning for such speaking out.
There is a fairness in this.
I expect no special favours in life and no quarter given. I just make do with what I have and what I learn and what i can accomplish. That is enough for me.
I2 today is not i2 of yesteryear. It is a knitting circle. Those that participate be they nice or asshats know their place and the price to be there. Odeon is the overlord

.Benevolent if you toe the line.

Think it is I2 of old? Even Odeon is not so delusional as to think otherwise. He may on occasionally pretend otherwise but his base is that knitting circle.

Censoring/banning/restricting/moderating myself, Calanadale & Scrapheap were all not his finest moments.

How to apologise to Scrap

Offline Walkyra

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 04:56:21 PM »
It might be the difference between auties and aspies. Many aspies are so average to normal in their behavior and skills it more resembles NT.

I dunno. I was diagnosed with Aspergers. My boy with HFA. We are similar and I was very much like him when I was younger.
Through learning by rote and with a drive not to be vulnerable I have painfully learned how to make do. He does not have that automy or awareness and a lot of innocence. I get torn by wanting him to maintain this innocence and child-like dependency and to toughen him up and push him into "developing" into an adult capable of meeting the world head on like I have had to do.
I just don't want him hurt too much along the way.

I can understand your concerns for your son.

I was labeled aspie too, mainly because I have above average IQ, but I had classic early onset autism and don't think aspie is entirely accurate in my case.

I think on this forum we are all spazzes. You are, I am, Odeon is and PPK and BruceCM...all of us. Level playing field. We all struggle. Whether or not we throw our hands up in the air and resign ourselves to it or whether we doggedly struggle on and handle the indifference in society, the embarassment and humiliations, the isolations and the stress that comes with being "out of the loop" is up to us. It does not do a damn thing to change what and who we are.
Some forums are disempowering and try to take the approach of comforting and fostering this disempowerment. Here? A little different. We are more, "so what"? Making a case for your personal struggles will fall on deaf ears for the most part, it is not what this place is designed for. The good news is that it too is across the board.
Here is one of the few places you can have a go at anyone regardless of seniority or popularity or whatever and you are accountable on what you say and they are accountable on what they say. No banning for such speaking out.
There is a fairness in this.
I expect no special favours in life and no quarter given. I just make do with what I have and what I learn and what i can accomplish. That is enough for me.

And this is why I like this place. That's my philosophy too, no quarter is given, well put. The universe is a cold unforgiving place and at a base level we are all just organisms competing to survive and stay in the gene pool.
From what I see this place is more "real" than WP, which seems akin to an elephant graveyard for autistics.
:viking:

...and his prowess on the battlefield is surpassed only by his skill in the bed chamber.

:loup: WYKINGR!

Offline MutieTom

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 04:59:48 PM »
I think about that issue a lot too.  I was pushed in some rough (for aspies) times as a kid, where I didnt really get any support or hand-holding.    My perception of reading WP in the past 10 years is that todays aspie kids in middle class homes have a more sheltered and cared for life - happier prehaps but weaker.  Wheras just being made to do things and told not to complain, it was scary but made me as capable as I am.  Which may not be much but I bet its a heck of a lot better than most of the kids of the "parents forum mollycoddlers" will grow up with.

Offline Meadow

• Delicate Flower of the Autie Elite
  • Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 05:06:35 PM »
I'm not into the sport of using language that way, Les. I have a lot of trouble in the area of language to begin with and here, as in life, I'm at a measurable disadvantage. The best I will be able to do is use profanities when aggravated enough. If I wanted to be mistreated I'd go visit my relatives. I finally gave them up too. I really don't get how making fun of someone is enjoyable. Just not my thing. I'm a person who has feelings, not just for myself, and really don't get you or care for the sport of using language to fight with people every day who think its fun and games to humiliate and mistreat others. If you're hard on your son because he's sensitive, I hope you get fucked up the ass for a million years as righteous payback. I had a mother like that and despise her today for who she is. A low-life coward. I'm sure you're a better father than my mother was or hoping so but based on your interests here to mock and ridicule others, it's hard to know.

Offline Meadow

• Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 05:12:59 PM »
I didn't get any handholding either and it didn't toughen me up. People who are brutes are born that way from what I have learned and gathered over time and I don't care about them. They're lower than animals where it comes to evolution. Animals do a better job than they do raising their young, for example.

Offline MutieTom

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 05:20:54 PM »
All I really mean is I had to do social stuff without a "chill out room" to escape to or a support worker.

Offline Meadow

• Postwhore
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 05:27:06 PM »
I know. It's extremely hard to be autistic without a caring or supportive family. It makes you stronger but no one should have to be that strong.

Offline Walkyra

• Part of the Chaos
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 05:29:49 PM »
Thing is in a trial by fire some will toughen up and grow, and some will fall through the cracks.
But it is rarely* black and white.

*never
:viking:

...and his prowess on the battlefield is surpassed only by his skill in the bed chamber.

:loup: WYKINGR!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 05:35:23 PM »
Oh, I dunno, for Meadow everything is black and white.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Meadow

• Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 05:43:08 PM »
I didn't toughen up and I didn't fall through the cracks. It isn't black and white while stereotypes do die hard if they die at all. I have a fab life now and just like to enjoy it and not waste my energy on a majority of ignorant asshole.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 05:57:16 PM »
@ MutieTom
I don't see what you are seeing in those pictures :dunno:  To me,  that looks like a nervous laugh in the bottom one,  and i don't think the top one looks nervous at all.  ??  Probably just me reading it all wrong,  i  can do that with faces.
blah blah blah

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 05:59:15 PM »
It appears to me that the top guy could curl or bench press more with ease. If empirical proof like actually lifting more than someone else is not greater strength what is? Spiritual strength? If that is like faith in things that have no empirical evidence than what use is it?  I have no belief in angels, unicorns, invisible friends in the sky etc.
  Yeah right,  you'll be telling me there are no dragon's in Wales next! :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2:
blah blah blah

P7PSP

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 06:06:13 PM »
It appears to me that the top guy could curl or bench press more with ease. If empirical proof like actually lifting more than someone else is not greater strength what is? Spiritual strength? If that is like faith in things that have no empirical evidence than what use is it?  I have no belief in angels, unicorns, invisible friends in the sky etc.
  Yeah right,  you'll be telling me there are no dragon's in Wales next! :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2:
:hide:

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 07:52:59 PM »
I'm not into the sport of using language that way, Les. I have a lot of trouble in the area of language to begin with and here, as in life, I'm at a measurable disadvantage. The best I will be able to do is use profanities when aggravated enough. If I wanted to be mistreated I'd go visit my relatives. I finally gave them up too. I really don't get how making fun of someone is enjoyable.

I come from a similar place, except I set out on this site to learn how communication works. For someone who's not into the sport of using language, you seem to be holding your own. On a text-based forum we can't eliminate entirely the advantage that language brings, but there are a lot of different levels on which to use it. Hell you could communicate only with smileys and still have a viable presence here.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 07:56:18 PM »
They can try, but if they make a good job of it and it turns out all arty and abstract, their diagnosis is invalid.

You want inner strength and confidence without art and abstraction? If you get anywhere with that, I will be curious to see the result.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.