Author Topic: Yay-I'm getting my driver's license soon  (Read 2090 times)

Offline earthboundmisfit

• Mayhem of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: Yay-I'm getting my driver's license soon
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 11:23:58 PM »

I can't imagine not being able to drive. I drove eight hours just today.

Offline BruceCM

• Half-wit of the Aspie Elite
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2012, 04:39:11 AM »
Got glass through my knee as a kid, which fucked it up and its been bad ever since, constant pain, and weakness in that leg from not being able to use it as much. the change in walking gait from my screwed up knee has caused my hip to go with it, and whilst oxy and antiinflammatories control my knee pain well, it barely touches my hip at all. I walk with the aid of a cane...shouldn't have to at just 25yo.

Its been a long  term problem, it just never got better after having the glass removed. I had surgery on it to remove some loose shards of bone but it didn't improve things and left me with neuropathic pain and loss of feeling from where they must have accidentally damaged a sensory nerve.

Luckily its on my left side, so I should still be able to press the gas and brake pedals without much pain or difficulty.
Ouch. The surgery, so far, has only made it worse! Unfortunately, as you describe, once a leg gets messed up, like that, it quickly becomes a vicious circle. It might need an early knee replacement op? You certainly shouldn't really need a cane/ staff at 25, usually. If needed, for learning on a manual car, there must be an alternative to the usual clutch on the left? Although that doesn't need much pushing, generally, it might be too much for that leg. There's all sorts of adaptions I gather are available, though.
Oh no, the evil webmaster changed my sig again!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2012, 05:29:33 AM »

I can't imagine it either I love driving for the most part and working in construction it's not like I can take some form of public transportation
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Toad

• Rhyfelwr Draig y Aspie Elet
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »
Got glass through my knee as a kid, which fucked it up and its been bad ever since, constant pain, and weakness in that leg from not being able to use it as much. the change in walking gait from my screwed up knee has caused my hip to go with it, and whilst oxy and antiinflammatories control my knee pain well, it barely touches my hip at all. I walk with the aid of a cane...shouldn't have to at just 25yo.

Its been a long  term problem, it just never got better after having the glass removed. I had surgery on it to remove some loose shards of bone but it didn't improve things and left me with neuropathic pain and loss of feeling from where they must have accidentally damaged a sensory nerve.

Luckily its on my left side, so I should still be able to press the gas and brake pedals without much pain or difficulty.
Ouch. The surgery, so far, has only made it worse! Unfortunately, as you describe, once a leg gets messed up, like that, it quickly becomes a vicious circle. It might need an early knee replacement op? You certainly shouldn't really need a cane/ staff at 25, usually. If needed, for learning on a manual car, there must be an alternative to the usual clutch on the left? Although that doesn't need much pushing, generally, it might be too much for that leg. There's all sorts of adaptions I gather are available, though.
Lestat is correct on this one. you have to take the test in a full manual to be able to drive one once you pass. Taking the test in anything else would put restrictions on your licence.
I would think though that if you found the right teacher/school you could do some of the lessons to learn road positioning etc in an automatic and then some lessons in a manual to get the hang of it for the test.
One thing to bear in mind for driving jobs is that unless you're using your own vehicle most delivery vehicles are manual gears.

P7PSP

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2012, 01:42:14 PM »

I can't imagine it either I love driving for the most part and working in construction it's not like I can take some form of public transportation
I agree with both of you there. Having the freedom to get in my truck and go to the Legion Of Honor, Bodega Bay or just the store for lottery tickets is so much better than using the bus. If I lived somewhere with great public transport like  London or Paris I would not mind at all using the Underground or Metro for routine trips. We don't have good public transport in the SF Bay Area.

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2012, 01:49:11 PM »

Lestat is correct on this one. you have to take the test in a full manual to be able to drive one once you pass. Taking the test in anything else would put restrictions on your licence.
I would think though that if you found the right teacher/school you could do some of the lessons to learn road positioning etc in an automatic and then some lessons in a manual to get the hang of it for the test.
One thing to bear in mind for driving jobs is that unless you're using your own vehicle most delivery vehicles are manual gears.
I know about our driving licences, that's why I was wondering how bad his leg was. Probably OK for pushing a clutch but I'm sure there's some other way to do that, if needed. Don't see what I said that implied I meant him to make do with an auto licence!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 02:31:39 PM »
You can test in an automatic here and get a regular lenience here the restrictions  only come into play with commercial vehicles over a certain weight or hazardous materials. 
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 03:18:01 PM »
That's weird, it's quite a change, that way around! More so than the other. Lestat & I are both in the UK, though.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 05:33:25 PM »
Yeah, Ill have to test in a manual, and just take extra pain meds, and most likely I'll then drive an automatic for comfort. unless they fix the problem that is then I'm sorted.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2012, 06:16:53 PM »
Yeah, Ill have to test in a manual, and just take extra pain meds, and most likely I'll then drive an automatic for comfort. unless they fix the problem that is then I'm sorted.

I take it a horse and wagon are out of the picture?  I do prefer older solutions, techniques, answers, etc., even in real life.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2012, 06:26:36 PM »
There's an idea! Or just a horse, maybe.

Offline Toad

• Rhyfelwr Draig y Aspie Elet
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 06:39:10 PM »
I know about our driving licences, that's why I was wondering how bad his leg was. Probably OK for pushing a clutch but I'm sure there's some other way to do that, if needed. Don't see what I said that implied I meant him to make do with an auto licence!
I didn't realise you were UK as well.
It was the bit about not having the clutch which I obviously misunderstood.
I'm sorry.
I'll shut up now.

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 01:41:31 AM »
Pushing in the clutch is the part that worries me, as well as my dominant hand being nearly paralyzed. I can't raise my leg up that high and there is considerable muscle atrophy and weakness thanks to being unable to move it like my good leg. Not to mention the constant, barely relenting pain.

Part of the reason i either bang or on occasion plug my oxynorm/OCs is the simply getting a rush which is absent when ingested per os, no shit. I like opiates:P Another is that I'll sometimes shoot just one of my 4 daily oxynorm because there is just a hint of WD as my last nightly OC has mostly worn off, and on taking my morning oxycontin it takes time to begin acting so just a wee tickle of my MOR1/MOR2 is called for quickly to relieve that, but mainly its when I'm in such pain that I am nearly totally immobile. And despite occasionally supplementing with a bottle of OTC codeine linctus (OC per os is just sometimes not enough and I can't stand or walk otherwise)

UK has quite liberal laws on OTC opioids...two syrups that contain enough morphine base for someone with a tolerance, as I have, to have a single dose of oral morphine enough to provide some proper pain relief on top of the OCs/IR not hugely strong but something at least, one cough syrup that contains tincture of opium..gee's linctus, which is really tasty too :D, one thats 7mg/ml codeine (pullmo bailly. Which takes someone who REALLY appreciates opioids to drink, it tastes so hideously, abominably foul nobody other could possibly choke it down) and three different types of codeine linctus, one orange flavour I don't like much, one thats quite tasty
 and flavoured with CHCl3 (lol...autie with chem as one of his speshul interests...no surprise I like that one.) both at 600mg/200ml and costing only a few pounds, and another vile one thats a tiny bit stronger, terpin and codeine....ewww, full of pine turps, can't get more than a small dose down without digestive upset.

They help, and not that I would ever use it when going to drive, but methoxetamine via IV or IM works well as an analgesic that also is effective on neuropathic pain, which opioids, regardless of their strength are very, very poor at tackling.  get pregabalin/lyrica for that but its of little help. not worse than nothing and it does help relax the tense muscles that cause my bad back pain when I try to sleep,but thats about it.

My leg issues are quite well controlled, at least the pain is, pain meds can do that much, but of course they do nothing for the muscle weakness. And my hip is a lot worse than my knee by a long way, M-ket relieves that pain, but opioids do not, at least oxy, morphine or both don't. And I would never be so irresponsible as to drive on MXE. I don't want to crash and kill myself or most other people.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 03:18:37 AM »
Been able to find suitable adaptions, Lestat, since it sounds like you could do with some?

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 03:58:20 AM »
Been able to find suitable adaptions, Lestat, since it sounds like you could do with some?

I don't know what adaptations Lestat would need under normal circumstances other than an automatic transmission so he wouldn't need to push the clutch.