Educational

Author Topic: Yay-I'm getting my driver's license soon  (Read 2091 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Yay-I'm getting my driver's license soon
« on: March 16, 2012, 07:22:08 PM »
Just filled out the form for a provisional license. Getting my driving lessons and the provisional paid for. Will be a while before I can afford the car tax etc. Anyone know if there is any assistance for disabled drivers on benefits (DLA, ESA/incapacity...thanks, fucked up joints) to get money towards car tax, road tax etc in the UK?

It should help me find work, as otherwise I am limited to how far I can travel to look for jobs/get to one should I find one, as there is little to nothing locally.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline Toad

• Rhyfelwr Draig y Aspie Elet
  • Constant Poster
Re: Yay-I'm getting my driver's license soon
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 07:59:23 PM »
Depending what benefits you get this may help. They do the whole package of car, tax, insurance etc.
http://www.motability.co.uk/main.cfm
I don't know that you can get help with the tax and insurance on its own though you may find some kind of local grant that could help.
Sorry I can't be more helpful...

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 05:29:12 AM »
Thanks mate.

Offline BruceCM

• Half-wit of the Aspie Elite
  • SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 05:42:19 AM »
Great & there certainly should be some help around for that. :include:
Oh no, the evil webmaster changed my sig again!

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:27:52 AM »
I'll have to check the motability website when I stop nodding on the oxy I just shot up :D

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 02:03:19 AM »
They should know all about such stuff, best wishes with it!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 06:03:56 AM »
How difficult is it to get a lenience there?  Do you need all of the things you mentioned if you do not get a car right away?
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 06:25:16 AM »
It's not, exactly, very difficult to get a licence, as such. There is the costs of the provisional one, the lessons & the test. But, presumably, no point for Lestat to get a licence & then find he can't afford a car! What with the costs of the car, the fuel, the insurance & the parking. Depending what adjustments the car needs, if any, it may be harder to find instructors &, of course, the car he'd get would cost more. lols

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 01:23:14 PM »
Here in the US weather you intend to get a car or not it is to your advantage to have a driver's lenience as many place will not hire you without one and for use as an ID that is universally accepted.  One of my sons got theirs just two weeks ago and is saving for a car. 

George Bernard Shaw

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 01:40:33 PM »
The only work that requires a licence is that which involves driving. Sure, it's good as id but Lestat must have managed this long with other forms of that. Naturally, if reasonably possible, it's handy to have & I'm glad your son's just got his.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 01:49:28 PM »
The US has become in recent years ID crazy,  you can have and use other forms like state issued ID's but they are always looked upon with suspicion

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 04:48:12 PM »
How did I manage without ID? I don't DO  ID in general. I have no use for any. I have a birth cert if needs be, and my out of date passport if needs be. But I don't need ID in general, I just have no use for it. I have no trouble getting served for booze or fags, since I look old enough to begin with, what with having a goatee beard, piercings, the long hair etc.

I just never need it. I never get asked for ID for age related products, such as getting served in bars or shops.

As for the costs of getting the driving lessons and provisional license, I'm getting those paid for by my folks, and whats the point of having a license when I can't afford a car/car and or road tax etc? being able to do so when I can afford them without having to then get the license, do my driving lessons then. Might as well do it now, then check what help I can get financially for road tax/car tax and the car itself shouldn't be a problem, I can easily save up a few hundred quid for a second hand car.

And the freedom driving will allow me, will help me get a job, as there are plenty of jobs that require a driving license that I couldn't otherwise apply for, such as delivery drivers and the like.
So its just something I need to do, sooner rather than later. I want work badly, rather than just relying on handouts, which are a shitty income to begin with, and working is something that I could get more self respect for. I'd sooner work for my income than just be given a pittance. And I will need to work sooner rather than later to save for a pension, and have a proper income when I get old. As well as just get more money than I'd get from my disability handouts.

I'd not need any special adapted car, my only worry is being able to press down the pedals with my bad leg, and the fact that it might lead to more pain trying.

Fuck state ID cards, and fuck ID in general. I don't want to have to give the govt. any more details about me than I absolutely sodding have to. Working would give me a better income, and more self respect.

The muscle weakness in my bad leg through lack of being able to use it might mean I have to drive an automatic, but better I learn using a stick shift car, that way I have the choice, whereas learning in an automatic means I can ONLY drive one in the future without doing a further. ATM I am stuck with disability benefits, but I WANT to work. I just can't find it, and the driving would grant me extra freedom, such as the ability to work as a trucker, or delivery driver.

I am inherently distrusting of govt-issued ID schemes, for fear they may become mandatory, and that people may be forced to hand over ID to anybody that would demand it, such as the pigs. I don't want to have to present an identification card to any pig, etc. All I have to give if its demanded by the filth now are name, address and DOB, but I refuse to have some biometric ID card with all my details on it. Bugger that, bugger that right off!

Offline BruceCM

• SINBINNED
  • Postwhore
  • It's a Mad World!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 11:19:33 PM »
Yeah, although I got asked for id not long ago (while bearded!). Sure, if at all possible, learn on the manual, to get the full licence & then get an automatic. Also, btw, diesel cars can cost a lot less on the tax. Didn't think you'd need adaptions, otherwise but best to check. Just what are the disabilities, btw, if the leg should be a temporary problem? You probably said & I missed it.

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 07:02:40 PM »
Got glass through my knee as a kid, which fucked it up and its been bad ever since, constant pain, and weakness in that leg from not being able to use it as much. the change in walking gait from my screwed up knee has caused my hip to go with it, and whilst oxy and antiinflammatories control my knee pain well, it barely touches my hip at all. I walk with the aid of a cane...shouldn't have to at just 25yo.

Its been a long  term problem, it just never got better after having the glass removed. I had surgery on it to remove some loose shards of bone but it didn't improve things and left me with neuropathic pain and loss of feeling from where they must have accidentally damaged a sensory nerve.

Luckily its on my left side, so I should still be able to press the gas and brake pedals without much pain or difficulty.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 10:27:32 PM »
The US has become in recent years ID crazy,  you can have and use other forms like state issued ID's but they are always looked upon with suspicion

I'm 46 and still have only my state ID, no license.  Everyone is safer that way.  :thumbup:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"