Educational

Author Topic: ASK QUEEN V A QUESTION  (Read 4144 times)

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: ASK QUEEN V A QUESTION
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 07:45:56 PM »
positive?

eris

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 07:50:28 PM »
Ok, but Richard wants to know if you are really shure.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 07:51:36 PM »
what does PR and PA stand for?

PR is the Princess Royal.  Victoria granted this title to her eldest daughter, Victoria.  My PR is named after an English queen, but not Victoria or Elizabeth.

PA stands for Prince Albert.  My husband isn't Albert, but it's an equally dislikeable name.

My real name can come from France, Scotland, Germany and while not a name, it is a word in Russian and Japanese.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 07:52:07 PM »
positive?

Positive as a pregnancy test.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 07:52:27 PM »
Ok, but Richard wants to know if you are really shure.

Shure as shooting.

Offline Émile Armand

• BC sockpuppet
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 10:48:24 PM »
Did your home float away during Katrina? Have you ever met a black Cajun? I bet that would be odd. A black Cajun is probably like a black Jew.
and what would be wrong with Ethiopian Jews
Nothing would be wrong with them. I do not believe they are ethnic Jews but what do I know. One theory states it is possible they are converts. I do know some call the Ethiopian Jews 'betas'.

Did your home float away during Katrina? Have you ever met a black Cajun? I bet that would be odd. A black Cajun is probably like a black Jew.

The water came up about half way up our lawn, so we were in no danger.  In fact when we returned 4 (or was it 6) weeks later the ice cubes hadn't even totally melted in the freezer.  I'm guessing we were without power for maybe 36 to 48 hours.

No, I've never met a black Cajun.  The Cajuns are the French expelled from Canada when the English took it over.  There are Cajuns (Acadiens) in the Northeast and in Southern Louisiana.  They didn't own many, if any black slaves since they were pretty impoverished, so a black Cajun would be a rarity.

As far as black Jews, yes there are the Ethiopians.  In fact there was an isolated community of Chinese Jews who were "discovered" by the Catholic priests many, many years ago.  Since China was an isolated country, they thought they were the only Jews left in the world.

And anticipating your next question, yes I did have ancestors who owned slaves.  My Irish GGGrandfather immigrated and within 10 years he owned 2 female adult slaves and a four year old boy.  I don't know if the boy is his because researching the slave sale records is tedious.  Other things have crept into my life, but I intend to hopefully find out more information.
I know some things about the Cajuns. I was not going to ask you about slavery in the US. When did your GGGrandfather go to the US? I was under the impression that the Irish immigrants were treated just as bad, if not worse, than the black slaves. Would you agree or disagree?
I don't have a life so I like to come here and try my best trolling you all. I'm not that clever so I'm now banned. Again. Odeon wrote this after pwning my sorry arse. I'm now back at Spasticity, trying to make it look like my mission here was a success.

I cry a lot.

Offline Émile Armand

• BC sockpuppet
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 10:51:46 PM »
If you enjoy reading about slaves in America, I suggest you checkout a book by Olaudah Equiano. He was a slave and wrote a book about his experiences with being kidnapped and being brought to America.
I don't have a life so I like to come here and try my best trolling you all. I'm not that clever so I'm now banned. Again. Odeon wrote this after pwning my sorry arse. I'm now back at Spasticity, trying to make it look like my mission here was a success.

I cry a lot.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2012, 12:27:52 AM »
I don't remember the exact date the family immigrated, but it was the 1850's.  They came from Rosscommon, the heart of the Potato Famine.  Within 2 months a brother, (aged 19) and step-mother died from Yellow Fever, the father died within a year, aged 71, and that left my GGGrandfather who was an adult.  Evidently things weren't too bad for thim in New Orleans, possibly because it was strongly Catholic.  My GGGF managed to accumulate quite a bit of wealth, economic, political and social importance fairly quickly.  His son ran for Lt. Governor after the Civil War, but lost.

Not too interested in African slaves in America.  I remember reading in the Slave Census for 1860 that the City of New Orleans owned 4 male slaves who worked in some hard labor government agency.  Those poor guys must have had it really bad. 

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2012, 03:36:36 AM »
ive been to rosscommon qv :) my stepdads from there. nice place

midlifeaspie

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2012, 11:40:01 AM »
If you enjoy reading about slaves in America, I suggest you checkout a book by Olaudah Equiano. He was a slave and wrote a book about his experiences with being kidnapped and being brought to America.

It's a good story, but it was faked.

Offline Queen Victoria

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »
ive been to rosscommon qv :) my stepdads from there. nice place

I've only seen pictures, but like most of Ireland, it seems very pastoral, peaceful and green.

Offline Émile Armand

• BC sockpuppet
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 12:11:28 PM »

It's a good story, but it was faked.
Do tell.  Be specific if you can.

There are parts that some historians feel he extended the truth, but I have not read one historian that believes Olaudah Equiano story is completely fabricated.

I don't remember the exact date the family immigrated, but it was the 1850's.  They came from Rosscommon, the heart of the Potato Famine.  Within 2 months a brother, (aged 19) and step-mother died from Yellow Fever, the father died within a year, aged 71, and that left my GGGrandfather who was an adult.  Evidently things weren't too bad for thim in New Orleans, possibly because it was strongly Catholic.  My GGGF managed to accumulate quite a bit of wealth, economic, political and social importance fairly quickly.  His son ran for Lt. Governor after the Civil War, but lost.
That is quite interesting, I must say.

Not too interested in African slaves in America.  I remember reading in the Slave Census for 1860 that the City of New Orleans owned 4 male slaves who worked in some hard labor government agency.  Those poor guys must have had it really bad. 
I have been curious how the slaves of other blacks were treated. I think New Orleans had a fair share of free blacks and ones that owned slaves.

I cry a lot.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 12:21:33 PM »
I spent a semester on Slave Narratives while finishing my Literature degree, and it is widely accepted in certain circles of academia that he fabricated the part about his kidnapping and journey through the Middle Passage.  There are baptismal records that indicate he was born in South Carolina.  Either way, the work greatly advanced the cause.

Offline Émile Armand

• BC sockpuppet
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 12:58:15 PM »
I spent a semester on Slave Narratives while finishing my Literature degree, and it is widely accepted in certain circles of academia that he fabricated the part about his kidnapping and journey through the Middle Passage.  There are baptismal records that indicate he was born in South Carolina.  Either way, the work greatly advanced the cause.
Those are from 14 years after his birth that and states he was born in "Carolina". That source comes from Equiano himself. It suggests he told people he was from South Carolina. There is also a roll call comes from Equiano that suggests he told people he was from South Carolina. Equiano states in his book that he is from Africa. All come from him.

So far you have not provided sufficient evidence that his story was "faked" and it is not widely accepted that his story was fabricated. It is split. I am glad you took a class in college.

I cry a lot.

midlifeaspie

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 01:17:44 PM »
Those are from 14 years after his birth that and states he was born in "Carolina". That source comes from Equiano himself. It suggests he told people he was from South Carolina. There is also a roll call comes from Equiano that suggests he told people he was from South Carolina. Equiano states in his book that he is from Africa. All come from him.

So far you have not provided sufficient evidence that his story was "faked" and it is not widely accepted that his story was fabricated. It is split. I am glad you took a class in college.

:wanker:

Nice try