Educational

Author Topic: What are you gonna do tomorrow  (Read 61955 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What are you gonna do tomorrow
« Reply #2685 on: September 16, 2018, 12:35:59 PM »
^But I can tell you that they demoed some awesome speakers.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #2686 on: September 16, 2018, 02:09:19 PM »

Kind of jealous. I have been to the Chicago show twice, but not in twelve years. I know, everything has changed in twelve years, but that is why I NEED TO GO, again.
Have fun and take some pics!

I did take some pics. Too high-res, so I'll need to shrink them to post them here.

I think I have recommended it before, but the smallest footprint, fastest opening, damn near do anything net needs, FREEWARE program I have ever seen is Irfanview. If you also get their plugin "tools" you can do some more stuff, but for just a quick crop or re-size, nothing beats it.

Not sure it is cross platform or Linux ready.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2687 on: September 16, 2018, 02:13:52 PM »

Speakers have made leaps and bounds lately, especially if you look at the distortion specs, no longer ten or fifteen to twenty percent distortion.

Did you see any new tube amplifiers?
I am still enjoying my Decware tube amps (have you been to that website?), but I also use some vintage Yamaha for my movie rig subwoofer system.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2688 on: September 16, 2018, 06:57:23 PM »
Repack my shed
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2689 on: September 16, 2018, 07:02:14 PM »

Trip to the flea market fucked you up that bad?
Ouch!
 :autism:

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #2690 on: September 16, 2018, 10:44:44 PM »
Heh! my old man built himself a tube amp a while back., started from scratch. Used to see him getting up early in the morning, straight to his breakfast and onto the computer screen firing up his circuit diagrams and working out his schematics then going to build them, until eventually he had himself a tube amp. Although he's not actually used it ot play much guitar. I figure he's  got a fair autistic streak in him. Just like I do with my chemistry, always scribbling down ntotes., the odd (sometimes VERY odd) train of thought..and  then it's off to the lab and start poking around.

I'm going to be checking my email later tomorrow/techically today, but either fuckint way.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2691 on: September 16, 2018, 11:12:39 PM »

Speakers have made leaps and bounds lately, especially if you look at the distortion specs, no longer ten or fifteen to twenty percent distortion.

I am still enjoying my Decware tube amps (have you been to that website?), but I also use some vintage Yamaha for my movie rig subwoofer system.

There were quite a few of them. Many high-end speaker manufacturers used tube amps when demoing, of course.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2692 on: September 17, 2018, 12:04:24 AM »
Heh! my old man built himself a tube amp a while back., started from scratch. Used to see him getting up early in the morning, straight to his breakfast and onto the computer screen firing up his circuit diagrams and working out his schematics then going to build them, until eventually he had himself a tube amp. Although he's not actually used it ot play much guitar. I figure he's  got a fair autistic streak in him. Just like I do with my chemistry, always scribbling down ntotes., the odd (sometimes VERY odd) train of thought..and  then it's off to the lab and start poking around.

I'm going to be checking my email later tomorrow/techically today, but either fuckint way.

Back in '72 in my electronics class, I took old television parts (nothing new - it was all re-salvaged/re-purposed stuff from old TVs) and built a Theremin. I had a bit of help from an old WWII Navy radio operator who was our teacher, but he mostly sat back and watched us toil, coming to our aide when we asked. He had done more to show me how math, trig and calculus worked in one month than four previous years of "crap" teachers had done.

I also built a tube operated light controller later in the year that had eighteen channels and turned on and off and modulated "house current" in relation to audio bands of music. I got an "A"  for both, BTW, but for my end of year project, I did a sold state thing which was basically the same thing but with forty channels and there were no tubes - all diodes and transistors. Again, mostly salvaged from old radios. I did buy a pack of a hundred diodes, a few hundred small caps and resistors to help that along (I think I spent about ten bucks on parts), I wrapped all the inductors I used around a few cut off nails wrapped in electrician tape using wire from unwound coils from old TVs. I did spend another forty something buck and built a box to hold that many strings of Christmas lights which the unit could control.
It was crude, but fuck I was learning and I was seventeen. I had an awesome teacher who basically let us play and graded our play.

I dropped out of high school two months before graduation and took off with a rock band. I came back around to see my old teacher a year later and learned that he had died that summer before.
 :'(

Oh yeah, I kind of forgot to get to the point of my response.   In my best sounding, all the best shit I own stereo system I use tube based amplification.
In my more powerful, shake the floor with music or just watch a movie as loud as was intended I have fifteen hundred watts of upper end power  (Denon plus JBL)  and four thousand watts, bi-amped for my sub bass system  (All vintage Crown plus JBL).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 01:01:43 AM by DirtDawg »

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2693 on: September 17, 2018, 12:14:04 AM »

There were quite a few of them. Many high-end speaker manufacturers used tube amps when demoing, of course.

I REALLY need to go see this stuff for myself.

:dance:

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2694 on: September 17, 2018, 03:04:41 AM »
I can't sleep in as I have an appointment with Centrelink in the morning. It's a work capacity assessment, I have to specify how many hours a week I can work. I haven't worked in ten years so it's hard to know.

Then in the afternoon I have a doctor's appointment. Going to get a Symbicort prescription, a Depo Provera injection and a crusty on my hand frozen. I also may need a referral letter to my psychiatrist, not sure on that one. I may be good for that for another six months. I'll ask anyway.

Then after that I may do some gardening (pulling out weeds).
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2695 on: September 17, 2018, 12:07:13 PM »

It's great fun. Most of the gear is out of my price range but one can dream, right? There were speakers that were more affordable, too.

Also, there was this Swedish audio geek who had built everything himself. Speakers, amps, everything. Sounded great, very balanced, great dynamics.

- Albert Einstein

Offline DirtDawg

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2696 on: September 17, 2018, 12:47:43 PM »

It's great fun. Most of the gear is out of my price range but one can dream, right? There were speakers that were more affordable, too.

Also, there was this Swedish audio geek who had built everything himself. Speakers, amps, everything. Sounded great, very balanced, great dynamics.

Most of the best gear out there is out of most people's price range. We still enjoy finding where the new "bar" is set.
 Then you go home and ignore your stuff for a day or two, then we dive in to our system again. Realizing then that you are ninety five per cent or maybe ninety eight percent to the best you have ever heard. Getting those last few percentage points would cost more than the house we live in.

Then we just sit back and maybe tweak stuff a tiny bit, speaker angle or gain structure and simply enjoy the system we own again!

Some of these "geeks" who build all their own gear are beyond genius. Was he there to sell or just show off? Either way, having the opportunity to see a "new" Vision/version of how to do it is always fun.

That is why I keep pounding out that Decware guy to you. I remember when I met him.  "Oh, you sell these?  You make them all the time and sell them?"
I have three of his products but he has grown in twenty years and vastly expanded his product line.
 I know he is a big ocean away from you. Even reading his white papers is entertaining, though.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 01:09:39 PM by DirtDawg »

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #2697 on: September 17, 2018, 03:22:10 PM »
I think this guy was selling at least the amps. Seemed to me that the speakers were more of a labour of love.

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
« Reply #2698 on: September 25, 2018, 08:30:38 PM »
You mean getting the wire by raiding the transformers? or do you mean from a CRT display, the coils used to direct the electron beam?

Not so much for anything musical, but I'd love to find an old CRT monitor, and CAREFULLY perforate the glass envelope from the side, near the phosphors, to avoid any implosion damaging the cathode emitter, and after getting a suitable vacuum pump (it'd need a turbopump to evacuate the hacked end result, and bake it out under vacuum, same with a DIY beamline to attach it to, with a suitable thin target window to serve as an airlock for when I'd want to bombard various targets, so as to avoid having to repeatedly bake the beamline out and repeatedly add a getter to remove the last miniscule traces of atmospheric gas atoms via chemisorption, build some quadrupole or sextupole magnets for strong-focusing the beam and build myself an electron LINAC out of a TV.

Would  be neat as hell, build a particle accelerator from an old ass CRT type TV or computer monitor and use it as an X-ray source to take my own X-ray photographs with dental film or something similar; spazzy as spazz gets obviously, but a DIY X-ray source could be really quite useful when building and testing things, testing glassware for faults perhaps, looking inside and through opaque sealed items I might be poking about with.

Hell, even use it to feed a cyclotron if I were to go all out on it and 'go full spazz, forget what the buggers say about NEVER going full spazz..'  :autism:

Since hey, who WOULDN'T want their own particle accelerator, for generating X-rays by crashing the electron beam into a target of metal, making use of the Bremmstrahlung phenomenon for spewing X-rays. Shielded obviously everywhere else with lead-doped glass, which I could probably make a shield out of with enough broken screen material, to go over the focusing magnets, casting it in place.

A CRT tube basically IS a particle accelerator, firing an electron beam which is played rapidly back and forth over the rare earth element phosphors on the screen interior. Just needs hacking a fair bit in order to make it into something much more interesting and useful :D

Such as say, fucking about with undulators or wigglers to make it output synchrotron radiation, which could be used to drive a free-electron-laser:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-electron_laser
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #2699 on: September 26, 2018, 05:10:16 AM »
Tomorrow I'm going to the now regular (every Thursday) mental health group not far from me and this week we'll be talking about recovery.

Do the mountain of dishes that Kayleigh generated.

Finish off the weeding in the backyard.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae