Author Topic: Working For A Living  (Read 1123 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Re: Working For A Living
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 06:19:08 AM »
I would love to have a private income which would enable me to do what i wanted and not have to work.  I am sure some of my time would be spent on my lazy ass,  but i am a curious person by nature and would no doubt get involved in a few things.
blah blah blah

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 06:58:14 AM »
Good work? I love it. Bad work, takes me way too long to realise how devastating it is, because I am too loyal, and too much want to make something out of it.

Over the years I have found out that more than 20 hours a week very likely will get me sick. But also that I need something to do, outside my house, something that makes me participate in society.

I do not really care if it is a paid or non-paid job. As long as I have enough money to live on that is.

A good job gives me a sense of doing something for society, gives me a frame for the day, and, takes away the opportunity to completely hide in my own house and not seeing anyone.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 07:03:07 AM »
I like my work and I am reasonably well paid for it. Beats unemployment.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2012, 07:08:16 AM »
I would love to have a private income which would enable me to do what i wanted and not have to work.  I am sure some of my time would be spent on my lazy ass,  but i am a curious person by nature and would no doubt get involved in a few things.

Were I to become financially completely secure for the rest of my life, I would still find something to do too.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2012, 08:02:13 AM »
To do what I need to do and pay my rent and feed myand cloth myself and look after my children, I NEED to work and as hard and well as i can.
My desire is to win the lottery nd be in a position I can live agood life without working.

I am in a lottery pool at work.  Every week we buy tickets for whatever game has the
 biggest jackpot.  We all work hard, but if we won, we'd all be outta there!  :headbang2:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline 'andersom'

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2012, 08:10:49 AM »
I won €5 this month.  :orly: :cheer:

midlifeaspie

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 11:16:18 AM »
Love my job.  Love all the money.  Love that it allows me to make a comfortable life for my wife and two kids.  Love that I still have bigger and better things in front of me.  Love the respect ... and the fear  :zoinks:

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 04:11:27 PM »
I don't mind my work most of the time as it generally involves fixing or making something.  If I did come into a lot of money I would still work but more along the lines of my flea market job or restoring houses that I would own.  Sitting around is all well and good but it does get boring after awhile.
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 04:17:02 PM »
The work that I'm doing now makes me feel needed, which is nice.  The money and professional respect is also nice, but if I was not needed, I wouldn't be doing this job.

Offline bucephalus

• Part of the Chaos
  • apparently
    • my band
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 04:22:33 PM »
Love my job.  Love all the money.  Love that it allows me to make a comfortable life for my wife and two kids.  Love that I still have bigger and better things in front of me.  Love the respect ... and the fear  :zoinks:

that's quite a refreshing attitude :)   My boss's boss asked me how i was finding my job so far.  I said "it's okay... shit is a strong word" i probably shouldn't have been so damn honest!

[edit] for callway.  i felt needed in my previous job, in the current one i'm a tiny part of the machine :S

Offline Pig

• Moron!
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2012, 04:33:56 PM »
If you have never tried it,  how do you know you wouldn't like it?
I think I would hate work because I hated school sooooo much.  It's been over a decade since I've even been to school, and I still hate it!  Authority figures, responsibilities, schedules, and most especially people simultaneously enrage and depress me.  When I was in school I couldn't decide who I wanted to kill more: others or myself!

Also, I have my own goals in life.  Goals that are very, very important to me.  Wasting my time doing something I don't care about seems like a cruelty even Lord Satan himself would admire.

Maybe I'm being a tad melodramatic.

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »

that's quite a refreshing attitude :)   My boss's boss asked me how i was finding my job so far.  I said "it's okay... shit is a strong word" i probably shouldn't have been so damn honest!

[edit] for callway.  i felt needed in my previous job, in the current one i'm a tiny part of the machine :S

I'm glad you felt needed in your previous job, Bucephalus.  I don't like feeling like I'm a tiny interchangeable cog in a big machine.  What do you do now?

Offline Callaway

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2012, 04:37:12 PM »
If you have never tried it,  how do you know you wouldn't like it?
I think I would hate work because I hated school sooooo much.  It's been over a decade since I've even been to school, and I still hate it!  Authority figures, responsibilities, schedules, and most especially people simultaneously enrage and depress me.  When I was in school I couldn't decide who I wanted to kill more: others or myself!

Also, I have my own goals in life.  Goals that are very, very important to me.  Wasting my time doing something I don't care about seems like a cruelty even Lord Satan himself would admire.

Maybe I'm being a tad melodramatic.

You said that you were home-schooled after a certain point in your education?  Did you enjoy learning that way?  Was there a set curriculum, or were you more free to follow your own interests?

Offline Pig

• Moron!
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »
You said that you were home-schooled after a certain point in your education?  Did you enjoy learning that way?  Was there a set curriculum, or were you more free to follow your own interests?
Home school was definitely an improvement over public school.  I hated public school, I simply disliked home school.  There was a set curriculum at home, forced onto us by the umbrella school we used for government approval.  I even had to read the bible even though I'm an atheist.  :LOL:

Offline bucephalus

• Part of the Chaos
  • apparently
    • my band
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2012, 05:30:28 PM »
I'm glad you felt needed in your previous job, Bucephalus.  I don't like feeling like I'm a tiny interchangeable cog in a big machine.  What do you do now?

i do customer service for a mobile phone company currently. i think i stress my self out by trying way too hard with the customer's, so i need to care a little bit less.  I used be a supervisor in a pizza place, i did that for 7 years; in that job, everyone was needed (or at least everyone that could half do their job)

what sort of thing do you do?