Author Topic: Nature & Reasons of Creativity  (Read 146 times)

Offline Pig

• Moron!
  • Constant Poster
Nature & Reasons of Creativity
« on: January 24, 2012, 06:05:27 PM »
Hey folks!

I thought I'd start a new topic that wasn't about sex, violence or misery.  :LOL:  My thoughts are scattered right now, but maybe this topic could spark an interesting discussion anyway.

What are you thoughts about the nature of creativity, and the reasons why people create art?

Without looking it up on Wikipedia, my understanding of creativity is that it is basically lateral thinking: making unconventional connections between disparate elements to create something new.

But why do people create art?  Considering the apparent objectives of artists, I've come up with three basic reasons: Enjoyment of the Process, Desire For Admiration/Success, & Need For Control.

I think that everyone who creates has all three of these reasons inherent to some extent or another, but there is almost always one motivation dominant above the others.  People who just enjoy being creative usually don't move beyond amateur efforts, because the end product is relatively unimportant.  Those who want success foremost will usually be "entertainers" and self-promoters, they are willing to compromise their own ideas to make their work more palatable to the audience they are trying to reach.  The most egotistical is the need for control; these people do not care so much what others think, and the process itself is only a means to create something the artist himself feels is worthwhile.

The only additional basis for creation I have considered, that doesn't fit into the above paradigm, is the generation of art for spiritual reasons: creating to honor an ideal, or another being.  It can be argued that this can fit into one of the three previously mentioned ambitions, but I think it is too unique to fit neatly into any of the reasons I have already outlined.

Sorry this is so badly written and piecemeal, I just wanted to contribute something and this is the first idea that came to mind.  I'd like to read other members' thoughts, if they would be willing to share them.  The ideas I've presented are only things I've thought of on my own, and do not represent any amount of research by myself.  Therefor I would be entirely willing to consider different perspectives.  If you have anything to say about the subject of creativity or creation, please respond!

Edit: reduce the obtuse
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:45:25 PM by Pig »

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
Re: Nature & Reasons of Creativity
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 07:46:05 PM »
I'm not an artist but I do like making costumes mostly for my daughter, but I have also made a few costumes for other people as well.

I like creating the costumes and I like that she enjoys wearing them.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »
I have a few reasons why I make things weather they are art or otherwise.  One is I like it and enjoy the process, it relaxes me and calms me down better than any meds a I have ever had.  There is something satisfying with creating something even if others don't appreciate it but it is always nice when they do   :green:  .   At times I do fall into the  'proof of concept'   where I just want to prove I can do something and the outcome is not as important to me as knowing I could do it and perfect that if I choose to.   
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline Pig

• Moron!
  • Constant Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »
I have a few reasons why I make things weather they are art or otherwise.  One is I like it and enjoy the process, it relaxes me and calms me down better than any meds a I have ever had.  There is something satisfying with creating something even if others don't appreciate it but it is always nice when they do   :green:  .   At times I do fall into the  'proof of concept'   where I just want to prove I can do something and the outcome is not as important to me as knowing I could do it and perfect that if I choose to.
Thanks for replying!  That seems like all three of the reasons I thought of.  Maybe I did not make such a keen observation after all.  :LOL:

I'm not an artist but I do like making costumes mostly for my daughter, but I have also made a few costumes for other people as well.

I like creating the costumes and I like that she enjoys wearing them.
Thanks for sharing.  I guess that falls between wanting to create for admiration and wanting to create as dedication.  I don't know, it doesn't fit either reason perfectly - but that's why I wanted to ask!

Often times people trust feelings over intellect in art, claiming that 'art if not a science'.  I think everything can be a science, so I tried to break down the impetus of creation to closer realize my subconscious goals.

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 02:34:20 PM »
Why do people create art?
..well why do people think?

People create that which they feel - it's a form of expressing your inner desires / thoughts / feelings.

Although really art doesn't have a solid definition I think as everyones idea of it is different , the "everything is art" saying is not entirely correct IMOl , "Everything is art by perception" sums up how fluid interpretation of art is.

I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.