Author Topic: Who thinks driving under the speed limit can be a danger?  (Read 714 times)

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
Re: Who thinks driving under the speed limit can be a danger?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 03:27:15 PM »
No i wouldn't drive up someone's arse anyway.  Certainly not an oldie.  It's intimidating.

But that is why they cause accidents, it's the frustration of being stuck behind 'Noddy'  :zoinks:

I have used my horn,  usually if someone in front doesn't move when the lights change.

I always slow right down for people on horseback (a lot of country lanes round here and often get the odd horse)   Also some of the lanes do not have any pavement for pedestrians so if i see someone walking i would ease off the gas a little.

I have stopped to help lone female drivers, or women with kids,  if they have broken down.  Done that once and she used my phone and i stayed with her till the AA arrived because she was really nervous about being there as it was late.  Sorry guys,  but a bloke got in my car at the traffic lights once and i am wary about men. 

I also have stopped traffic to let women with pushchairs cross the road,  and old people.  I am a courteous driver but i do get vexed when i am stuck behind a noddy.
blah blah blah

Offline Natalia Evans

• Spokane Tour Guide of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 06:12:36 PM »
It can be very dangerous to do it on the parkway. If you go under 65 someone WILL ride your ass, I see it everyday. It's safer to do 70 than 60 on the parkway. But going a little slower on old country roads at night in the rain is ok as long as you stay consistent with your speed.
and I also think anyone over 65 should be retested for driving every few years.

What is a parkway? Must be another term in your country.

Here in my area, the speed limit is either 50 or 55 and then it goes up when you leave the area.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 06:14:31 PM »
Don't you two live in the same country?

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2012, 06:20:29 PM »
I've had a dumbass honk behind me when I had a red light and he wanted me to turn left. Just him wanting me to break the law. If I were to turn right, then that be different because you can turn right on red but if you are turning left, you have to wait until the light is green.

I hope you wait a few seconds for the person in front of you to go. I drive a stick shift and I need an extra three second to switch to first gear so I can go and everyone does give me that extra few seconds as if they know what kind of transmission I have. I have even stalled out too and people still don't honk at me as if they knew I stalled out.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2012, 06:21:39 PM »
Around here a parkway is a like a regular highway but for passenger cars only
"Eat it up.  Wear it out.  Make it do or do without." 

'People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.'
George Bernard Shaw

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2012, 06:34:47 PM »
I only 'beep' people at lights if they don't appear to have noticed they are on green.   You can usually see if someone is getting ready to drive off. 

I have had people give me a thumbs up for beeping at them,  probably in a world of their own and are glad i have got them moving again.

In summertime,  i would not beep but probably shout with my window down

"Wake up!"
blah blah blah

eris

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 07:47:59 PM »
It can be very dangerous to do it on the parkway. If you go under 65 someone WILL ride your ass, I see it everyday. It's safer to do 70 than 60 on the parkway. But going a little slower on old country roads at night in the rain is ok as long as you stay consistent with your speed.

Here in my area, the speed limit is either 50 or 55 and then it goes up when you leave the area.

I live in the Us, where you live :D

The parkway is a kind of like the highway in the inner city. lots of on and off ramps and 6 lanes. People drive really aggressive on there.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 12:08:02 AM »

I live in the Us, where you live :D

The parkway is a kind of like the highway in the inner city. lots of on and off ramps and 6 lanes. People drive really aggressive on there.

Out west. Must be an eastern term. I assume that is where you are since parts lives out there too. I don't ever hear it out here and never had.

Offline Zippo

• psychotic J-DAM of the aspie elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
  • Click, Click, BOOM!
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 01:00:30 AM »
Yes i know what you mean IQ,  and i am not suggesting taking their licence away.  Maybe
a refresher course,  which might give them a bit more confidence too.  Or perhaps designating certain roads as 'fast moving' or in high demand and asking them to not use at rush hour.

The person in the car today really should not have been driving.  They clipped the kerb several times,  didn't see if it was an old person,  but whoever it was couldn't control a car at 20mph so really is endangering lives by doing so.

I think a lot of old people get treated very badly.  If they are not supported by their family then they should get support to stay in their homes for as long as possible.  A lot of the 'Old Peoples Home's' in the UK are closing down and being replaced with more sheltered housing and home help services.  Also lots of shops are willing to deliver,  some will even collect your prescription off your doc and deliver your medication.    I saw a tv documentary about some homeless veterans.  It disgusted me.  They put however many years in,  to serve their country and end up on the street. :thumbdn:

here in canada after a certain age you must take a driving test every year and you have to pass or you dont get your license back [dont know if you can retake the test but if your that old and you dont pass you probably wont pass the second time round]

Zippo, Shotgun Surgeon.
if theres bees in the trap im catching them, by the thorax and abdomen. and sanding there stingers down to a rough quill. then i dip em in ink and i scribble a bit, and if the wriggle than i tickle them until they hold still, let me say it again, in my land of pretend, i use bees as a mother fucking pen!

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 06:25:02 PM »
Oh, how we talked and talked, to get the BF of my MIL to hand in his licence.

He said he drove safely, because he would keep to 40 km/h on the snelweg (120 km/h), and, if things got too tricky, he'd take the bicycle track.

We were so relieved that after years of talking, he finally gave in. Don't know how he managed to get through the system of getting his licence renewed every time.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 06:29:48 PM »
My mother drives like a slug.  Where she lives in Florida the roads are set up almost like graph paper and she usually drives a couple roads over from the main routes on parallel secondary roads. Thus saving most people headaches

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Charlotte Quin

• Abbess from the Abyss
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2012, 03:25:42 AM »
My nan is 90 and she still drives :laugh:. In NSW, after you turn 75 you have to get medical tested annually, then after 85 you have to have a practical test on top of that.

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2012, 05:49:57 AM »
It's effectively unsafe because of how other drivers will react.

I started going the speed limit after getting a ticket this summer- 5ph over max, regardless of other traffic, about 90% of the time, anyway.  Cruise control.  I have become everything I hate.   :laugh:
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.

Offline Natalia Evans

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 12:47:56 PM »
I always use cruise control on the freeways. That way it keeps me going the speed so I won't go too fast or too slow. But where there are lot of turns or lot of traffic, it's impossible.

And officers do pull you over if you are from out of state and it doesn't matter if you were going with the flow of traffic, they just want to make their money and they have to hand out a certain amount of tickets each day. If everyone followed the law, then they be in big trouble. They need rule breakers and people not paying attention.

I heard in Chicago and in California, everyone drives like a maniac, they go fast but yet someone from out of state got pulled over on I 5 and was given a warning and he was going the fricken speed limit. Okay so now how are we going to know if we should go with the traffic or go the speed limit? Here everyone goes the speed thank god. But some go a little fast.

Offline Parts

• The Mad
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Who are you?
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2012, 04:30:40 PM »
Cruise control is no good around here too many cars and traffic

George Bernard Shaw