Author Topic: What kind of bifocals do you recommend?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
Re: What kind of bifocals do you recommend?
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 05:40:41 PM »
I would like to have bifocals but I think I can't.

I think I can have some made, but I'm not sure I'll tolerate them well.  :nerdy:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2011, 05:42:25 PM »

I think I can have some made, but I'm not sure I'll tolerate them well.  :nerdy:

I hate it that I need two pairs of glasses. at work I'm always wearing the wrong pair when I am called to meetings.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2011, 06:03:54 PM »

I hate it that I need two pairs of glasses. at work I'm always wearing the wrong pair when I am called to meetings.

So far I manage by having just the one pair and taking them off to see up close.  :nerdy:

People forget.

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 04:42:39 AM »
I think my mum has the progressive sort of bifocals. I think it took her a while to get used to them. I will ask her more about it tomorrow.
Thank you, renaeden, I appreciate feedback!  8)
I asked mum today what she has. She said her glasses are called multifocals and she wears them all the time. She had no trouble adapting to them either. She said the only time she wears reading glasses is when she is reading in bed - the way her head is positioned for reading then is slightly out of alignment when looking at a book wearing multifocals so it is more comfortable to wear reading glasses then. Couldn't really explain that properly, I hope you understand what I mean!
Do you know why?

I asked my optometrist what I will need when my vision changes in a few years' time and she said two pairs of glasses. :-\
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 04:51:25 AM »
I think my mum has the progressive sort of bifocals. I think it took her a while to get used to them. I will ask her more about it tomorrow.
I asked mum today what she has. She said her glasses are called multifocals and she wears them all the time. She had no trouble adapting to them either. She said the only time she wears reading glasses is when she is reading in bed - the way her head is positioned for reading then is slightly out of alignment when looking at a book wearing multifocals so it is more comfortable to wear reading glasses then. Couldn't really explain that properly, I hope you understand what I mean!
Do you know why?

I asked my optometrist what I will need when my vision changes in a few years' time and she said two pairs of glasses. :-\

My doc says that my strabismus-related problems (the misalignment varies with the vertical position of the eyes) combined with the astigmatism and the hyperopia would make it difficult.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 04:59:41 AM »
So your strabismus affects you most when looking up or down?
Tek'ma'tae

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 07:03:25 AM »
My Dad has his first pair of bifocals since half a year I think. They are progressive ones, think that is almost standard here now. Can't recall seeing people with lined ones for years.

He's 80, and not keen on changes. It did take him a few months to adjust. He hated how the lines would all appear curved. But, after those months, he has no problems with them at all. And, he is wearing his glasses all the time.

That's a bit different from a man having dozens of reading glasses all over the house, in different strengths, depending on what he was doing. He never was out of reach of a reading glass.

I'm pondering on bifocals too. Starting my collection of reading glasses, but I hate to have to change in having glasses on or not. And, age is affecting the distance now too. Till five years ago the only blurry sight I knew was migraine, something in my eye, or fog induced.
I hate not seeing all the way I used to. It dizzies me, not seeing sharp. And the darker season makes it all harder.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 07:09:35 AM »

Yes, that makes sense, I know that tilting the head can change the way bifocals work.  8)

People forget.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2011, 07:12:12 AM »
My Dad has his first pair of bifocals since half a year I think. They are progressive ones, think that is almost standard here now. Can't recall seeing people with lined ones for years.

He's 80, and not keen on changes. It did take him a few months to adjust. He hated how the lines would all appear curved. But, after those months, he has no problems with them at all. And, he is wearing his glasses all the time.

That's a bit different from a man having dozens of reading glasses all over the house, in different strengths, depending on what he was doing. He never was out of reach of a reading glass.

I'm pondering on bifocals too. Starting my collection of reading glasses, but I hate to have to change in having glasses on or not. And, age is affecting the distance now too. Till five years ago the only blurry sight I knew was migraine, something in my eye, or fog induced.
I hate not seeing all the way I used to. It dizzies me, not seeing sharp. And the darker season makes it all harder.

I've been near-sighted since I can remember, got my first pair of glasses when I was
 6 or 7 years old.  I might just decide to keep them as they are and get reading glasses,
 or just continue taking them off when I want to see close up.  :nerdy:

People forget.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2011, 07:21:32 AM »
I can remember having glasses when I was 4, don't know if I did before then. Another thing to ask my mum! Then I went through a stage of not having to wear glasses at all at between the ages of 8 and 13. Kind of weird. From the age of 16 I wore contacts mostly until I was 28, then I needed prismatic lenses and I tried Irlens too. Have had those since then.

I wear mine for everything, even close up stuff. I am short-sighted in one eye and long-sighted in the other so my vision is just too weird without glasses.

Do you remember getting tested when you were 7?
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 07:25:57 AM »
I can remember having glasses when I was 4, don't know if I did before then. Another thing to ask my mum! Then I went through a stage of not having to wear glasses at all at between the ages of 8 and 13. Kind of weird. From the age of 16 I wore contacts mostly until I was 28, then I needed prismatic lenses and I tried Irlens too. Have had those since then.

I wear mine for everything, even close up stuff. I am short-sighted in one eye and long-sighted in the other so my vision is just too weird without glasses.

Do you remember getting tested when you were 7?

I don't really remember the test, probably because I've had so many of them, but I do
 remember riding home in the car the day I got that first pair of glasses and marveling
 at the details I could see ... every brick in a brick wall and every leaf in the ivy that was
 climbing the brick wall!  It was exciting to see what I hadn't realized I'd been missing. :)

People forget.

Offline 'andersom'

• Pure Chocolate Bovine PIMP of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • well known as hyke.
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 07:32:05 AM »

I've been near-sighted since I can remember, got my first pair of glasses when I was
 6 or 7 years old.  I might just decide to keep them as they are and get reading glasses,
 or just continue taking them off when I want to see close up.  :nerdy:

My Mum had glasses at a very early age, certainly for back then, she can't have been older than 4, very nearsighted. In her family the need for reading glasses comes early. And, she must be wearing bifocals for over 30 years now. She always had to adapt to new glasses, but, took her longer when she got bifocals. But, she has never regretted getting bifocals.

The plus side of more glasses is that you can specify very precise what aid you want to have to see. The plus side of one pair of glasses is that you won't lose the ones you are not wearing. And, your brain is a powerful tool, it will get all twisted lines that the progressive bifocals may make you see, straight within a fairly short amount of time. (will be cool to experience and ponder on, as a medical geek too) /linear bifocals may not have that problem, I don't know.
I can do upside down chocolate moo things!

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 07:46:24 AM »
I don't really remember the test, probably because I've had so many of them, but I do
 remember riding home in the car the day I got that first pair of glasses and marveling
 at the details I could see ... every brick in a brick wall and every leaf in the ivy that was climbing the brick wall!  It was exciting to see what I hadn't realized I'd been missing. :)
Yes exactly this when I was 13. Can remember saying to mum that I could see leaves on trees again, heh. She remembers that I said it too.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 07:51:24 AM »
 at the details I could see ... every brick in a brick wall and every leaf in the ivy that was climbing the brick wall!  It was exciting to see what I hadn't realized I'd been missing. :)
Yes exactly this when I was 13. Can remember saying to mum that I could see leaves on trees again, heh. She remembers that I said it too.

Isn't it great?  I still notice improvement in my vision when I get a new pair of glasses.
 Apparently my eyes are still getting weaker as I age.  That's OK, I like glasses!  :nerdy:

People forget.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 08:16:14 AM »
Yes, as we age the lens in each eye becomes less flexible for focusing. Usually becomes noticeable in the mid-40s.
Tek'ma'tae