Author Topic: What kind of bifocals do you recommend?  (Read 2574 times)

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
Re: What kind of bifocals do you recommend?
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2016, 03:12:03 AM »
It's expensive to grow older. :P

Old teeth are especially costly.  :tard:

Try three pairs of glasses. :(

I get by fine with two pairs.
I have one with my astigmatism corrected, very dark amber for driving shades and one pair of super light polycarbonate, heavily coated for glare reduction  "no-line"  bi-focals for constant use.

Just in case I break my normal day users, I do keep a pair of fairly high quality "drug store" generic, strongly dioptered "granpa glasses" in my car so I can see up close after a disaster happens to kill my expensive as fuck glasses. That has happened twice at work.

So, I guess I DO need three pair.

:yikes:

I get by using two pairs but to read properly and without eye strain and eventual headache, that third pair is vital.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline FourAceDeal

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2016, 03:43:42 AM »
I have one pair for close up and reading and another with a slightly longer focal range for working on monitors and laptops.

Instead of bifocals I just have narrow lenses and sit them on the end of my nose so I can look over them.
Ever got that feeling that you're trying to teach a dog a card trick?

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2016, 04:37:48 AM »
My eyesight is poor, which is why I also need the bifocals. No fun having to switch pairs if you just need to read the mobile screen.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2016, 07:04:37 AM »
  I'm pretty damn nearsighted, have been since early childhood.  I've worn glasses for distance
  since I was seven years old.  Now I will need correction to see close up, and when I have to
  see something truly small, I'll probably still have to take the damn things off anyway.  :P
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:51:23 PM by couldbecousin »
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2016, 03:49:41 PM »
With proper correction of my astigmatism, my vision tests at 20/10, but that relates to twenty feet away. NO problem at all for me. In fact I sometimes forget my glasses, because, generally, I can see just fine, but not up close AND the farther away a subject is the more my astigmatism makes it double and quadruple (etc.) the images I am trying to decipher.

I can not see well "up close"  (meaning like reading the mail or a newspaper) any better than any other old man, I need my bifocals and then I can read tiny shit that some can not. Forget trying to see up close without my fancy bifocals.
 :hahaha:

I do recommend the "No Line"  type.  I do not have to switch glasses from infinity distance (photographic term) to within way up close to see tiny scripts.

They are not cheap, with all the additional coatings (various heavy metals, such as fine camera lenses use to reduce glare and anomalous refraction artifacts). In fact they are the most expensive glasses available.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 03:54:21 PM by DirtDawg »
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2016, 03:54:09 PM »

With proper correction of my astigmatism, my vision tests at 20/10, but that relates to twenty feet away.

I can not see well "up close"  (meaning like reading the mail or a newspaper) any better than any other old man, I need my bifocals and then I can read tiny shit that some can not. Forget trying to see up close without my fancy bifocals.

I do recommend the "No Line"  type.  I do not have to switch glasses from infinity distance (photographic term) to within way up close to see tiny scripts.

My brother has the progressive (no line) bifocals.  He still has to perch them on his nose
  and peer above or below them to see really tiny stuff up close.  Our father had to do the same.  :checkout:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline DirtDawg

• Insensitive Oaf and Earthworm Whisperer
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • Last rays of the last days
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2016, 01:50:47 PM »

With proper correction of my astigmatism, my vision tests at 20/10, but that relates to twenty feet away.

My brother has the progressive (no line) bifocals.  He still has to perch them on his nose
  and peer above or below them to see really tiny stuff up close.  Our father had to do the same.  :checkout:

Can not imagine why. That sounds like when I tried my first set of bifocals, which were lined, typical cheaply made bi-focals.

Maybe they have not gotten used to them or the technician did not properly align the center of the lenses with their pupils- VERY important.

I often use a "fifteen X"  jewelers loupe (as is mostly used to inspect gemstones) to assess rare coins that I collect. I have no problem using the magnifier right against my bifocals. Mine fit perfectly, work perfectly and I DO recommend them. They are not cheap, though.
Jimi Hendrix: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. 

Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

The end result of life's daily pain and suffering, trials and failures, tears and laughter, readings and listenings is an accumulation of wisdom in its purest form.