Author Topic: This is what you call a bullshit site.  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
Re: This is what you call a bullshit site.
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 03:46:23 PM »
Stupid in the sense that they have low IQ and can't have a good insightful discussion about anything deep.

Doesn't mean they can't act charming and be manipulative. That even the stupid ones are better than me at.

Also, it's not just one person vs. a narcissist. It's one person vs. a narcissist and the people he's manipulated.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2011, 03:47:54 PM »
Stupid in the sense that they have low IQ and can't have a good insightful discussion about anything deep.

Doesn't mean they can't act charming and be manipulative. That even the stupid ones are better than me at.

Also, it's not just one person vs. a narcissist. It's one person vs. a narcissist and the people he's manipulated.

Ah, right, I'd forgotten.  They enlist followers.  I hope I never have to deal with one.  :thumbdn:
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »
It's also harder when it's a family member or someone you're in a relationship with, because they can get you on emotional entanglement.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2011, 04:05:46 PM »
It's also harder when it's a family member or someone you're in a relationship with, because they can get you on emotional entanglement.

That sucks.  I hope I'd be able to see through the manipulation, but I'm a bit naive.  :-\

People forget.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2011, 04:10:32 PM »
Take Bernie Madoff, writing to his daughter from jail to tell her what a wonderful time he was having there. She made the mistake of thinking he cared about family connections, so she tried to hurt him by writing to him about all the good times he was missing with his grandchildren. He wrote back about how he was treated like a mafia don and a celebrity, to A) piss her off to no end (her husband had committed suicide over his actions), B) flaunt that the justice system couldn't bring him down, and C) play the media game by making his daughter look vicious and spiteful.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Elder
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2011, 04:13:09 PM »
Take Bernie Madoff, writing to his daughter from jail to tell her what a wonderful time he was having there. She made the mistake of thinking he cared about family connections, so she tried to hurt him by writing to him about all the good times he was missing with his grandchildren. He wrote back about how he was treated like a mafia don and a celebrity, to A) piss her off to no end (her husband had committed suicide over his actions), B) flaunt that the justice system couldn't bring him down, and C) play the media game by making his daughter look vicious and spiteful.

Even sicker, that's his daughter-in-law, the suicide was Madoff's own son.
 He sounds pretty cold.  How does such a person get punished then?  >:(

People forget.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2011, 04:25:47 PM »
If there's one thing that gives me a tiny bit of relief, it's that narcissists are punished on a regular basis ... by themselves. They hate the kind of people they are so badly, but they can't help being who they are.

Imagine someone who wants to be proud of himself so badly and wants to think he really is number one in the whole universe, yet still despises himself and sees himself as a shit person, that's major suffering and torture for the narcissist.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2011, 04:33:59 PM »
Even sicker, that's his daughter-in-law, the suicide was Madoff's own son.
 He sounds pretty cold.  How does such a person get punished then?  >:(

He has been punished. He's in jail for life.

That's what I mean by emotional entanglements. The only thing worse would have been capital punishment, so he can get amusement out of inciting his daughter (-in-law; my mistake) and the rest of the public to potentially murderous rage. However to the other inmates, who feasibly could have the opportunity to kill him, he plays his charms.

Whether he charms people or not and whether he brags or not, conditions in jail are shitty and restricted. The punishment is practical rather than emotional. The natural response is to want him to feel guilt, but that will never happen (despite what he says at his sentencing for the sake of PR - notice how opposite a message that article projects than what he said to his daughter-in-law). You have to cut off the ability of people like that to affect you emotionally, or literally any contact you have with them will leave you worse off.

Scrapheap

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2011, 10:03:31 PM »
There are very stupid narcissists (like my father) and there are very intelligent ones. Both types are as dangerous as each other, though.

I don't know about that. The smarter ones tend to think that they can get away with more, or they are more clever in devising things to get away with. Think about it, just imagine Ted Kaczynski as a narcissist. :yikes:

Scrapheap

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2011, 10:06:09 PM »
This is one video for those who wish to see an example:

I'll let others give their thoughts. All I'll say is they are both being fake.

These people are deluded. They point to the fact that narcissim in kids can be corrected (true) but they think the same process can work in adults and it doesn't.  :facepalm2:

The wife claims that by changing her response to her husband's narcissism and no longer enabling his behavior by shielding him from the consequences of his actions with the police, for example, that ultimately caused him to change his behavior toward her.

... and I really don't buy that claim

She pointed out that when a woman leaves an abusive spouse, that she is many times more likely to be killed or injured in the first few months after leaving.

That's neither here nor there.

Scrapheap

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
If there's one thing that gives me a tiny bit of relief, it's that narcissists are punished on a regular basis ... by themselves. They hate the kind of people they are so badly, but they can't help being who they are.

Imagine someone who wants to be proud of himself so badly and wants to think he really is number one in the whole universe, yet still despises himself and sees himself as a shit person, that's major suffering and torture for the narcissist.

I hope this is true.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2011, 10:38:16 PM »

Well holy shit, I must be a narcissist then. :o

Difference is, I don't outwardly project that kind of thinking all too much, I recognize my own failures, not that I like them though.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2011, 10:46:45 PM »
Which, I'm sure, makes you not a narcissist in the clinical sense.

Actually, I should really back that up with some sort of evidence instead of just spouting it out without basis.

Offline Pyraxis

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2011, 11:42:12 PM »
I just looked it up... narcissism is actually being taken out of the DSM-V. Instead of ten discrete personality disorders, they're rearranging them into five traits/axes which can be present to different degrees.

Antisocial/Psychopathic Type
Avoidant Type
Borderline Type
Obsessive-Compulsive Type
Schizotypal Type
Psychology Today

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011, 12:19:31 AM »
Yeah, schizoid is being taken out too. Dang, as I like that one.

I wonder, are they just going to view narcissism as a variant of a personality type? Not something that is actually wrong?
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae