Author Topic: BMW's greatest motorcycle EVAAAAARRRRRR!!!!!!  (Read 679 times)

Scrapheap

BMW's greatest motorcycle EVAAAAARRRRRR!!!!!!
« on: November 24, 2011, 12:51:29 PM »
The 2008 and newer BMW F650GS.  8)

Despite its name, it's not a 650cc engine, it's a 798cc parallel twin that makes 72HP.

The bike is a cross between a dual sport and a sport touring. It is perhaps the most versitile motorcycle on the planet.

You can commute to work, take it on long highway trips, or take it on dirt roads and off-road trails.

Oh, and with a 4.75 gallon tank under the seat and 65 MPG economy, you can go 260 miles before hitting reserve.  8)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Mastermind of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
Re: BMW's greatest motorcycle EVAAAAARRRRRR!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 01:05:22 PM »
No Scrappy. Don't tempt me like this.

I drive a 125cc scooter for a very good reason. Anything more powerful will result in my death, but when I see things like that, I can't help feeling death would be a small price to pay.

One half of me wants to go and buy the most powerful bike I can find, and the other half of me wants to live to see 25.

I can't resist driving flat out, at almost all times on my bike. At least the one I've got struggles to get much over 60mph.

Scrapheap

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 01:33:22 PM »
You might try going in steps then to build up your skill level slowly.

Try getting a Kawi Ninja 250 or Suzuki TU250X.

They top out just under 100mph and have decent handling.

The BMW F650GS probably isn't your cup of tea, its a utilitarian workhorse.  :-\

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 01:41:03 PM »

The BMW F650GS probably isn't your cup of tea, its a utilitarian workhorse.  :-\

:laugh:
I'd love to, but my family would kill me :'(

They don't really like me driving a scooter, and keep trying to persuade me to drive the car more. They would go into a meltdown if I got a more powerful bike.

At least when I crash my car, there's a very good chance I'll survive. If I crash a bike at 125mph, I'm going to get killed.

Scrapheap

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 04:08:20 PM »

They don't really like me driving a scooter, and keep trying to persuade me to drive the car more. They would go into a meltdown if I got a more powerful bike.

At least when I crash my car, there's a very good chance I'll survive. If I crash a bike at 125mph, I'm going to get killed.

Then the Suzuki TU250X is the bike for you!

Classic retro-styling, with only 20 HP and a top speed of 78 MPH. It only weighs 328 lbs and has very good handling.

That, and it only costs $3,799 MSRP brand new!!!

The only thing I'd do to it, is chuck the shitty stock Cheng Shin tires and replace them with sticky Dunlop GT501's.  8)

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 04:12:43 PM »

Then the Suzuki TU250X is the bike for you!

Classic retro-styling, with only 20 HP and a top speed of 78 MPH. It only weighs 328 lbs and has very good handling.

That, and it only costs $3,799 MSRP brand new!!!

The only thing I'd do to it, is chuck the shitty stock Cheng Shin tires and replace them with sticky Dunlop GT501's.  8)

I like that. It looks a lot nicer than the one I drive now. It's a great runner, but it looks a bit ugly. It's an Aprillia 125cc. I was looking at it's registration documents, and was shocked to see that it was around 10 years old.

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »
I'd be more worried about some asshole in a big SUV or tractor-trailer hitting me.  :dunno:

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 05:17:37 PM »
I'd be more worried about some asshole in a big SUV or tractor-trailer hitting me.  :dunno:

I do worry about that, and we do have tractors on the roads here. Some farmers take them into town to do their weekly shopping.

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 06:19:45 PM »

Have you got a scooter?  what is it?  I bought an old Lambretta (well it was half my brothers too) and we done it up,  in like a retro cream colour,  it was like this
I didn't really like the ride tbh,  the wheels were like pram wheels.  The good thing was,  when we sold it we got more than it cost us. :thumbup:
blah blah blah

Offline Phallacy

• Witchfinder General of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »

I do worry about that, and we do have tractors on the roads here. Some farmers take them into town to do their weekly shopping.

Tractor-trailer means 18-wheeler semi-trucks/lorries, not farmer's tractors. :P

Offline 'Butterflies'

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2011, 06:56:47 PM »

Have you got a scooter?  what is it?  I bought an old Lambretta (well it was half my brothers too) and we done it up,  in like a retro cream colour,  it was like this
I didn't really like the ride tbh,  the wheels were like pram wheels.  The good thing was,  when we sold it we got more than it cost us. :thumbup:

That is a lovely bike. I think Vespas and Lambrettas are so cool. If I was going to get a new scooter, I would definitely buy one, either an old renovated one, or one that's built to look like the older ones.

I have an Aprillia 125. It was given to me, so I didn't pick it. It's a good bike, but I don't really like it's plastic style, and it's a bit scratched in places. It's really weird. I think it's a bit ugly, but I've totally fallen in love with it. It just runs so well and feels really good. I've had shots on other bikes, and none of them feel as "right" :laugh:

It's strange. I absolutely hate driving cars, and only do it when I need to, but driving a bike is one of my favourite things.

Tractor-trailer means 18-wheeler semi-trucks/lorries, not farmer's tractors. :P

:LOL:
I didn't know that. Around here, you're far more likely to get hit by a real tractor :laugh:

Offline bodie

• Reflective Katoptronaphiliac of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Maniacal Postwhore
  • busy re arranging deck chairs on board the Titanic
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2011, 07:16:51 PM »
It's a good feeling - on a bike.  Had a few dirt bikes and they can be fun too.

The Lambretta was a project,  it needed a lot of work when we got it.  Mainly cosmetic stuff.

There was a place near us where we used to go and buy original parts for it.  The guy in there, well he was a ringer for 'Zed' from pulp fiction...(remember the gimp scene?) and he had an american accent.   My brother is a dry,  sarcastic bastard and has the ability to keep a really straight face,  me i just can't stop laughing if i find something funny.  My brother would be making funny comments about gimp balls and stuff under his breath and i would always be sniggering.  One time this bloke asked me what was so funny,  and i just came out with 'zed's dead baby'  and i am not even sure if he understood what i said but me and my brother was in bit's laughing.   Couldn't go there after that and had to get parts from Worcester, which is like twenty miles away.  Serves us right really :zoinks:
blah blah blah

Binty

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2011, 07:35:20 PM »
These are my kinda bikes  :zoinks:

Pashley make the best bikes.  I have a Pashley look-a-like; would be too scared to leave a genuine one out on the street.  It would probably get nicked in seconds :laugh:

Scrapheap

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »
I like that. It looks a lot nicer than the one I drive now. It's a great runner, but it looks a bit ugly. It's an Aprillia 125cc. I was looking at it's registration documents, and was shocked to see that it was around 10 years old.

Aprillia makes a good machine.  :thumbup:

Yeah, I see what you're saying, it's trying too hard to look like a spaceship.  :sick:

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 07:23:32 PM by Grease Monkey »

Scrapheap

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2011, 07:10:44 PM »

Lambretta makes a good machine too, and they have quite a cult following.

I like the retro style (although they probably just never changed) but I just can't get into scooters.  :-\

I had a Honda Spree 50 once, but I never rode it on the street, I just used it to get around at the racetrack.