Author Topic: Eris Calls out Everyone  (Read 12997 times)

• Newtype of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore
Re: Eris Calls out Everyone
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »
You mean you did not post several times of AFF policy of what you had to do becase someone actually did this before ?

Also, I agree you do not have a responsibility to be a mod here. Thats why it is so silly when you keep flip-flopping your "official" position on this.

Yes, I posted what the AFF policy is as a contrast to the procedure, or rather lack thereof, that WP has for dealing which such threats.
I'd like some elaboration on what I'm flip-flopping on.

If you agree that I am under no obligation to behave like a moderator here, then why are you insisting that I behave like a moderator here?

eris

« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2011, 06:41:18 PM »
You mean you did not post several times of AFF policy of what you had to do becase someone actually did this before ?

Also, I agree you do not have a responsibility to be a mod here. Thats why it is so silly when you keep flip-flopping your "official" position on this.

Yes, I posted what the AFF policy is as a contrast to the procedure, or rather lack thereof, that WP has for dealing which such threats.

If you agree that I am under no obligation to behave like a moderator here, then why are you insisting that I behave like a moderator here?

Im not. Im saying act human.

Is this worth it ? really. You get butthurt online and this happens ? Really, now. Thats why I said I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong. I dont care who is wrong. I just think you are being childish, and fail to realize that TM has a real life stake in this and doesnt deserve his real life to be sabotaged because of internet drama.

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #107 on: November 12, 2011, 06:55:11 PM »
I just want one thing to be clear, I accept full responsibility for the whole thing starting up on I2. However I will not recant any of my statements regarding my concerns on how he is suspicious and strongly related to an organisation like Autism Speaks and seems to act as their mouthpiece. Also, I did say some of the things on WP where he had an opportunity to defend them, as well as contributed to getting people to see his inconsistences. That I2 thread was more of me shit stirring and beating the war drums.

But yes, a line got cross into an uncomfortably dangerous territory, so naturally I backed off somewhat.

But thank you Eris, I think I really needed that slap to the face. EDIT: I was being sincere saying that by the way.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 06:59:02 PM by ProfessorFarnsworth »
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #108 on: November 12, 2011, 07:18:09 PM »

Im not. Im saying act human.

Is this worth it ? really. You get butthurt online and this happens ? Really, now. Thats why I said I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong. I dont care who is wrong. I just think you are being childish, and fail to realize that TM has a real life stake in this and doesnt deserve his real life to be sabotaged because of internet drama.

And what happens if it's a serious threat and he kills himself? Would that not constitute a real life stake?

If he's not serious, then he needs to learn that that is not a threat is not to be fucking toyed with. I defy you to disagree with that, I really do.

I'll repeat what my general motif has been throughout this debate;

Suicide Threats should ALWAYS be treated as though they are 100% serious, even if you don't think they are, just in case.
If they are just doing it for attention or to manipulate, then it's a self-resolving issue, because the Emergency Services will still take them away to the funny farm (where life is beautiful all the time) and they'll get such a bollocking that they're likely to never to do it again. Also, psych wards are fucking scary places, seriously.

eris

« Reply #109 on: November 12, 2011, 07:19:39 PM »
and if you think it is serious , call the police in private

the way you handled it publicly, away from the website it originated from, gossiping on how to take him down, makes you look very very bad.

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #110 on: November 12, 2011, 07:20:37 PM »
and if you think it is serious , call the police in private

the way you handled it publicly, away from the website it originated from, gossiping on how to take him down, makes you look very very bad.

Not my gaff, I can't do a thing but advocate that it be taken seriously.

I do as much as I can publicly because I have always banged on about openness and transparency.

I cannot do anything on the site it originates from because he has the ear of the admin; Furthermore, he's already entrenched me as some sort of bad guy. Anything I do or say there will be taken as an attack, regardless of my intent, so why bother? Additionally, there are staff from all the major AS sites here, including the relevant one, and speaking directly to them is much more effective in advocating a course of action. I disagree with the action taken, but it's their gaff, not mine.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:25:27 PM by Pikajedi3 »

P7PSP

« Reply #111 on: November 12, 2011, 07:25:17 PM »
My personal bias in this is that I have a soul,
Putting aside the fact that you cannot prove that you have a soul, should I infer that those who don't like Tambo Man lack souls?

and am human.
So are those you have called out.

Im saying act human.
He is acting human. Danny Thomas was acting human when he founded St Judes, King Leopold was acting human in administering the Belgian Congo in the 1920s. Please be more precise. Human nature is multi faceted. 

eris

« Reply #112 on: November 12, 2011, 07:27:19 PM »
IF anyone seriously thought he was going to kill themselves, and they gossiped instead of calling the authorities then they should re-evaluate their own motives for their concern.

Cause the " I was genuinely concerned" shit goes out the window when it turns into a public gossip session.

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #113 on: November 12, 2011, 07:31:16 PM »
IF anyone seriously thought he was going to kill themselves, and they gossiped instead of calling the authorities then they should re-evaluate their own motives for their concern.

Cause the " I was genuinely concerned" shit goes out the window when it turns into a public gossip session.

"Hello Police, Yes, I'd like to report a suicide threat. No, I don't have the IP it was made from. Well, no, it wasn't made to me. What's my connection to this? Well, I run this website and somebody I banned has gone on to another website and made a suicide threat. How did I hear about it? Well, they made it to somebody on that forum who posted it on ANOTHER forum. Where are they...? ...America, somewhere? Hello? ...Hello?"

Not my gaff, I can't do a goddamned thing. I don't have the address it was made from, I don't have the time, I don't even have the original threat. It's up to the WP staff, and they've acted.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:32:50 PM by Pikajedi3 »

eris

« Reply #114 on: November 12, 2011, 07:31:35 PM »
My personal bias in this is that I have a soul,
Putting aside the fact that you cannot prove that you have a soul, should I infer that those who don't like Tambo Man lack souls?

Its not about liking him. If they seriously thinks he is suicidal, yet come here to gossip on how to bring him down, then I think they seriously lack marbles.

and am human.
So are those you have called out.

Of course they are, thats why I'm not going to encourage their suicide or call the police on them for internet drama.

Im saying act human.
He is acting human. Danny Thomas was acting human when he founded St Judes, King Leopold was acting human in administering the Belgian Congo in the 1920s. Please be more precise. Human nature is multi faceted. 

How about this, act honorable.

eris

« Reply #115 on: November 12, 2011, 07:33:14 PM »

"Hello Police, Yes, I'd like to report a suicide threat. No, I don't have the IP it was made from. Well, no, it wasn't made to me. What's my connection to this? Well, I run this website and somebody I banned has gone on to another website and made a suicide threat. How did I hear about it? Well, they made it to somebody on that forum who posted it on ANOTHER forum. Where are they...? ...America, somewhere? Hello? ...Hello?"

Not my gaff, I can't do a goddamned thing. I don't have the address it was made from, I don't have the time, I don't even have the original threat. It's up to the WP staff, ad they've acted.

Hey, you are the one that went on and on about reporting him to the authorities and you are the one who went on an on about how that it is your job to do so. Either you should, or you shouldnt, you need to make up your own mind about that. Thats not my beef.

Coming here and acting like a twat was your own decision and independent of what the police would do.

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #116 on: November 12, 2011, 07:37:34 PM »
you can argue that you are a mod and have responsibility to react, or you can argue you are just a member and not required to act as a mod. not both.

I don't see why only mods have some moral responsibility to act.  Anyone with enough information to help the person could feel moral responsibility and act on it, IMO.

I was curious if this possibly suicidal person was already a member here, perhaps under another name.

If this guy said that he was suicidal only as a means to gain sympathy and win some internet argument, then that's low because he had to know that many people take suicide threats like that very seriously.  If the authorities were alerted and he got into some trouble if it turned out to be a hoax he perpetrated, then wouldn't that responsibility be on him for lying about suicide in the first place?

I do not think they really should have a moral responsibility to act as a moderator. That was Pikajedi's position, that as a mod it was his job.

I do not think the police would do anything really either, but it was skyblue that said he already contacted the authorities and is waiting for an arrest warrant.

And that why why I got involved. This is no longer an internet drama, people are messing with his life.

I think that the chances of Skyblue1 getting an arrest warrant for someone threatening suicide in an internet message board PM are extremely remote, particularly since the person does not even live in the same city as he does.

If by some miracle he got one, the warrant would only be valid where Skyblue1 lives.

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #117 on: November 12, 2011, 07:38:44 PM »

Not my gaff, I can't do a goddamned thing. I don't have the address it was made from, I don't have the time, I don't even have the original threat. It's up to the WP staff, ad they've acted.

Hey, you are the one that went on and on about reporting him to the authorities and you are the one who went on an on about how that it is your job to do so. Either you should, or you shouldnt, you need to make up your own mind about that. Thats not my beef.

Coming here and acting like a twat was your own decision and independent of what the police would do.

...I think you've misunderstood me. I said that it should be treated as if it was a real threat, because for all we know it may well be.

I did not say it was my job to do so, because it didn't happen on my forum. Stop moving the goddamned goalposts.

If it had happened on AFF, I would have reported him to his local authorities within half an hour of finding out about it. It happened on WP, so there is nothing I can do but advocate that it be taken seriously, as I have been repeating ad naseum for the past few hours.

Also, no need to make it personal. Oh, and I'm still waiting on a clarification on what precisely I'm flip-flopping on.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 07:40:55 PM by Pikajedi3 »

eris

« Reply #118 on: November 12, 2011, 07:42:51 PM »
you can argue that you are a mod and have responsibility to react, or you can argue you are just a member and not required to act as a mod. not both.

I don't see why only mods have some moral responsibility to act.  Anyone with enough information to help the person could feel moral responsibility and act on it, IMO.

I was curious if this possibly suicidal person was already a member here, perhaps under another name.

If this guy said that he was suicidal only as a means to gain sympathy and win some internet argument, then that's low because he had to know that many people take suicide threats like that very seriously.  If the authorities were alerted and he got into some trouble if it turned out to be a hoax he perpetrated, then wouldn't that responsibility be on him for lying about suicide in the first place?

I do not think they really should have a moral responsibility to act as a moderator. That was Pikajedi's position, that as a mod it was his job.

I do not think the police would do anything really either, but it was skyblue that said he already contacted the authorities and is waiting for an arrest warrant.

And that why why I got involved. This is no longer an internet drama, people are messing with his life.

I think that the chances of Skyblue1 getting an arrest warrant for someone threatening suicide in an internet message board PM are extremely remote, particularly since the person does not even live in the same city as he does.

If by some miracle he got one, the warrant would only be valid where Skyblue1 lives.

I think what would probably happen, is that the prosecutor from skybleus state would contact Tm's local authorities to warn them someone is going to commit suicide. I think they might even be legally obligated to do so. Lots of people threaten suicide, usually because they feel that way at the time. I dont think any judge would prosecute that.

The point is, it should not have happened. No one should have messed with his IRL info. And to get THIS MAD at someone because they threatened suicide is just cold. He probably had a weak moment, and sure is paying for it now.

eris

« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2011, 07:46:55 PM »

...I think you've misunderstood me. I said that it should be treated as if it was a real threat, because for all we know it may well be.

I did not say it was my job to do so, because it didn't happen on my forum. Stop moving the goddamned goalposts.

If it had happened on AFF, I would have reported him to his local authorities within half an hour of finding out about it. It happened on WP, so there is nothing I can do but advocate that it be taken seriously, as I have been repeating ad naseum for the past few hours.

Also, no need to make it personal. Oh, and I'm still waiting on a clarification on what precisely I'm flip-flopping on.

I dont see how I already didnt answer all of that thoroughly. I never once stated someone should call the police or have an obligation to. You are the one talking about that and in fact whenever i try to talk to you about the issue, you bring the subject of the police back into it. . I am merely asking you to take a step back, and realize this is not longer "just the internet" and to back the fuck off.

You are flip-flopping, going back and forth about contacting the authorities , and back and forth on taking a position from a mods point of view, and as a users point of view.