Author Topic: What the fuck?!  (Read 1087 times)

Scrapheap

Re: What the fuck?!
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2011, 10:56:03 PM »
Also one can question why he didn't go directly to the police, instead of just reporting it to his superior.

Because he wasn't a direct witness and didn't have all the facts.

The student who reported it to him was the actual witness and didn't go to police either. He's the one to blame, not Joe Paterno.  :facepalm2:

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 08:22:05 AM »
Seriously though.  First we had "riots" where people used the shooting of a man to run wild, trash their communities and steal a bunch of shit.  Now people are "rioting" because a football coach covered for his child-molesting buddy and was rightly fired.   I'm just speechless really and almost sympathetic towards those who go on shooting rampages.  A large percentage of today's youth fucking sucks. 

:thumbdn:

I don't know why it is that you believe that Joe Paterno covered up for Jerry Sandusky in any way whatsoever.  Did you not read the pdf link you posted at the end of your original post?

Joe Paterno reported to his immediate supervisor, the athletic director at Penn State, Tim Curley, the very next day what the graduate assistant told him that he had witnessed Jerry Sandusky doing to the child in the locker room.  Then Tim Curley and Gary Shultz met with the graduate student directly about ten days later to find out first hand what it was that he saw.

I think that the protestors wonder why Joe Paterno is being fired when he reported the information which he heard second hand from the graduate student immediately to his boss, who reported it to the University President, Graham Spanier, along with letting him know what steps he had already taken to deal with it.  I think that the person who was the one with the responsibility to report the abuse was "the person in charge of the school or institution" which was not Joe Paterno.

Covering was a wrong word.  I was outraged that people could be so stupid.  He failed to ensure that his report actually did something though.  It's not like he was reporting some kid stealing football equipment, he was reporting a colleague abusing a child.  Most people in his position surely would question why Sandusky was not charged, arrested or even fired at the time.

He's not the person who witnessed the abuse, though.  Once he told his boss what he saw, the boss and another man in his chain of command interviewed the graduate student and Joe Paterno was not even at this meeting.  He wasn't really in a position to second guess his boss.  Jerry Sandusky was not an employee of the university anymore, he had already retired.  That's what "emeritus" means.

I think that what Jerry Sanduskey did to those boys is reprehensible and I hope he spends the rest of his life in prison for it, but I don't think that it's fair to blame Joe Paterno for what Jerry Sandusky did.  He fulfilled his legal obligation to report the abuse.

Also one can question why he didn't go directly to the police, instead of just reporting it to his superior.

If I told you that I had seen someone (you thought) you knew behaving inappropriately with a child, would you go to the police to make a report yourself or would you suggest that the eyewitness do so?  Hearsay evidence is generally inadmissible and this was not something that he witnessed himself. 

Furthermore you have to ask yourself what you would have done if you personally witnessed someone raping a ten year old child anally?  Would you have quietly backed out of the room and told someone about it the next day or would you have yelled at the perpetrator to stop hurting that child, called 911, then taken the child to the hospital?

Offline Squidusa

• Cephalopod Succubus of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 08:31:17 AM »
Furthermore you have to ask yourself what you would have done if you personally witnessed someone raping a ten year old child anally?  Would you have quietly backed out of the room and told someone about it the next day or would you have yelled at the perpetrator to stop hurting that child, called 911, then taken the child to the hospital?

That's an unfair question.

Everyone thinks how they would react in a situation like that but until (god forbid) you ever encounter that who knows?

Remember the theory of behaviour that keeps passers by walking past someone being attacked / mugged? , a lot people do not know what to do in shocking situations like that and merely walk on past.

As for Joe Pa , yes he tried to do something , but IMO I don't think he tried enough and was fired due to it , the rioting is ridiculous though everyone should forget about the coach and focus on the REAL victims , I.e the kids.
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

nice is just something written on biscuits.  

Binty

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 09:06:36 AM »
Where did I blame Joe Paterno for what happened?  You're putting words in my mouth.

I'm just saying that firing him was justified and that "rioting" because he was fired, is fucking moronic.

eris

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 09:33:17 AM »
I do not think he is "responsible" for the abuse, and I'm not even sure if he acted incorrectly. but this is a big scandal, he HAS to take responsibility for this because it is his team. It may not be right, but he needs to be fired.

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 09:39:21 AM »
Where did I blame Joe Paterno for what happened?  You're putting words in my mouth.

I'm just saying that firing him was justified and that "rioting" because he was fired, is fucking moronic.

Was in response to Callaway or me?

Because I wasn't saying you blamed him for what happened.  :laugh:
I'll just diagnose myself as Goddess of the Universe and have done with it. Hell with autism!  :green: :zoinks:

Binty

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 09:43:13 AM »

It was a response to Callaway and Scrapheap.

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 09:44:22 AM »

It was a response to Callaway and Scrapheap.

Ah ok , I need to eat already head is feeling funny.  :(

Scrapheap

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 12:51:05 PM »
Where did I blame Joe Paterno for what happened?

Right here.

...  Now people are "rioting" because a football coach covered for his child-molesting buddy and was rightly fired.  ...

:hahaha:

No, you're NOT just saying that. You tried to accuse him of a cover-up and rightly got called out on it.

Now go back to posting boobs goddamnit!!!  :grrr: :dom:

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2011, 02:30:56 PM »

Right here.

...  Now people are "rioting" because a football coach covered for his child-molesting buddy and was rightly fired.  ...

No, you're NOT just saying that. You tried to accuse him of a cover-up and rightly got called out on it.

Now go back to posting boobs goddamnit!!!  :grrr: :dom:

Actually Binty said this afterwards:

Covering was a wrong word.  I was outraged that people could be so stupid.  He failed to ensure that his report actually did something though.  It's not like he was reporting some kid stealing football equipment, he was reporting a colleague abusing a child.  Most people in his position surely would question why Sandusky was not charged, arrested or even fired at the time.

Maybe you should focus on getting your facts straight Scrap.  :thumbup:

Scrapheap

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2011, 02:52:10 PM »

Right here.

No, my facts ARE straight. You don't use the word "covering" when you meant "failure to follow through with an investigation". That was an obvious attempt by Binty to back-pedal on her comments. She also tried to claim that he did nothing. She was wrong about that too.

Besides Binty is a grown woman and can defend herself. She doesn't need you doing it for her.  :P

Binty

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2011, 02:58:08 PM »
Scrap, go get laid please.

Offline Squidusa

• Elder
  • Insane Postwhore
  • I can haz Perseus?
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2011, 03:49:58 PM »

Right here.

No, my facts ARE straight. You don't use the word "covering" when you meant "failure to follow through with an investigation". That was an obvious attempt by Binty to back-pedal on her comments. She also tried to claim that he did nothing. She was wrong about that too.

Besides Binty is a grown woman and can defend herself. She doesn't need you doing it for her.  :P

Nope sorry , you're reading something that you want to read , Binty said something , regretted it and acknowledged that.

We all say things then realise they weren't appropriate , Why not just leave things be rather than kick up a fuss about a comment someone already took back?

And yes Binty is a grown woman and can defend herself , I just think you were wrong so I said so , this is I2 after all.  :)

Offline El

• Unofficial Weird News Reporter of the Aspie Elite
  • News Box Slave
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2011, 04:35:55 PM »
I can chime in as a mandated reporter and say that unfortunately there's quite a limit to what you can do with hearsay, though of course this is quite a differnt situation than those I deal with at my work.
it is well known that PMS Elle is evil.
I think you'd fit in a 12" or at least a 16" firework mortar
You win this thread because that's most unsettling to even think about.