Educational

Author Topic: How well did you sleep last night?  (Read 32301 times)

Offline Lestat

• Pharmaceutical dustbin of the autie elite
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Homo stercore veteris, heterodiem
Re: How well did you sleep last night?
« Reply #1080 on: August 12, 2018, 10:47:26 PM »
I didn't sleep last night or tonight. Been too busy working.
Beyond the pale. Way, way beyond the pale.

Requiescat in pacem, Wolfish, beloved of Pyraxis.

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1081 on: August 12, 2018, 10:48:19 PM »
Woke up too early. >:(
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Queen Victoria

• Ruler of Aspie Universe
  • Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1082 on: August 13, 2018, 10:04:28 AM »
I found out that it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours for OTC Benedryl (leaky sinuses medicine) and OTC Motrin to put me to sleep.  I slept well.
A good monarch is a treasure. A good politician is an oxymoron.

My brain is both uninhibited and uninhabited.

:qv:

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1083 on: August 13, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »
I absolutely LOATHE diphenhydramine, it really has an awful effect  on my cognition and memory, makes me feel as though somebody poured  superglue inro my brain's engine, I can't even do the most basic tasks the day after if I take that awful shit, makes me totally nonfunctional, I dont get fucked overlike this by taking any other sedating antihistamine with anticholinergic effects, but diphenhydramine really does a number on me the next day, its fucking  horrendous. As far as sedating antihistamines go, the one I go for is cyclizine, which also makes a REALLY effective antinauseant, liquefied tablets, squirted up one's ass with a needle-less syringe, that can interrupt it when one is so sick that you find yourself mid sprint to the toilet, and able to walk back instead of puking your fucking guts out.

And if converted from the poorly soluble hydrochloride salt to a properly water soluble salt like the lactate, citrate  or the ascorbate (vitamin C salt) would likely also have decent solubility too; then it also really potentiates the IV rush of opioids big time.                                                                 

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #1084 on: August 13, 2018, 05:59:48 PM »
When I was living in Central Europe I went through a phase were I couldn't sleep. I got a prescription for some really good sleeping pills (barbituates).

My (American) girlfriend at the time liked those sleeping pills a lot more than I did. She loved to take one and then try to stay awake as long as possible. She would start to get really trippy.

When our time in Central Europe was up and she moved back to the US, we went around about half a dozen pharamacies and got a repeat of the prescription.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 06:02:14 PM by Minister of silly walks »
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
« Reply #1085 on: August 13, 2018, 08:36:38 PM »
Well, apparently.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1086 on: August 13, 2018, 11:00:44 PM »
Not enough.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1087 on: August 14, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »
MOSW, its 'barbituRates', they being 5,5-disubstituted derivatives of barbituric acid. Although unsubstituted barbituric acid or thiobarbituric acid have none of the sedative-hypnotic properties  of the 5,5-disubstituted barbiturate derivatives.

Although enjoy it while it lasted. You won't be getting those anymore. The days of the good barbs are long gone now, most were entirely shitcanned, with a couple, secobarbital mainly, being kept in service so that the very old who had been on them and physically dependent on  them for severe insomnia, and who would only be put through needless hell on earth, and possibly, easily indeed, fatal withdrawal were anyone to try and taper them. For the very old who've been on them since they were in common use, it just doesn't make sense not to keep them on the drugs until they pass away. Because they have nothing to gain from ceasing use, if they have been on them that long, and they are very elderly.

These days a few remain, and in specific circumstances in the US. Butalbital in a combination product for migraines. Its one of the less potent ones. Never had it myself, not sure as it is used in the UK. I could of course synthesize it with the typical diethyl malonate route to barbs, but, if I were going to do that, I'd not waste my time with butalbital. I'd go for something like amytal or secobarbital.

We also use in many countries,  as a long lasting, very effective anticonvulsant, as well as for the same use in vet medicine, the very long acting barbiturate phenobarbital, which has no real recreational potential. The sort of thing thats great for comedowns, crashes, insomnia that just won't give up and fuck off etc. Otherwise its crap if it isn't an anticonvulsant you want.

And we use ultrashort duration of effect types, primarily or exclusively those derived from thiobituric acid, such as thiopental sodium (the same one with the 'truth serum' reputation) for surgical knockout during general anaesthesia. Potent, short acting, rapid onset and very effective. But again like the ultra-long acting barbs, the ultrashort ones might be TOO short by mouth for recreational use, and injection is NOT recommended, especially as if you miss a little and it goes into the tissues then this can cause 'barb burns', deep, deep tissue necrosis, due to the strongly alkaline nature of the sodium salts used for injectable preparations. Barbiturates come as two forms, for a specific drug, the free barbituric acid derivative, and also, alkali metal salts, specifically sodium salts, they are highly alkaline. But soluble in water. Unlike the barbituric acids. I've handled both, specifically as barbital. Barbital free acid is highly insoluble in water. Whilst barbital sodium is water soluble.

Barbital, aka 5,5-diethylbarbiturate, was the very first of them. Used to be used, many moons ago, before my lifetime, perhaps in that of our great grandparents  when they were young, but I got my paws on some, about 30g of high-purity lab grade barbital (as the free acid, if I wanted it water soluble then I had to convert it to the sodium salt. Although I tended to take the free acid orally, it still worked  just as  well)

Like phenobarbital, barbital, or veronal as it was trademarked  when it used, many many MANY decades ago, to be used in medicine, the very first of the barbiturates,  it is a very long acting drug, an ultralong-acting barbiturate, but unlike phenobarb, barbital itself is actually very enjoyable.

The intermediate acting ones are meant to be the best, though, although  I've never gone and made any myself.

Although I  have a fair idea how good they are, having had  an intermediate-short duration barbiturate binding site agonist ligand for the GABAa receptor, chlormethiazole.Chemically unrelated, physiologically they have quite a bit,although not everything in common. Very euphoric stuff, although  just like with the barbs, it isn't forgiving if one were to overdose, so great care is mandatory with it,  or bromethiazole, its  brominated analog (not used in medicine, but hey, put a creative autie with a bent for chemistry in front of a lab bench, stock his supply cupboards and his hazmat/volatiles fridge with all manner of useful solvents, acids, bases and his shelves with a large selection of very, very difficult to obtain reagents, and make the autie in question one who has a thorough knowledge of pharmacology and toxicology, all you need to do is wait for him to get a little bit bored, you can guarantee it that something will come out of those lab doors that'll have some most interesting effects on the human body and mind :heisenberg:

Speaking of which, better check on that ammonium formate and see how well the solution is evaporating. Don't want to let it overheat, or I'll just end up being left with its going and converting all to formamide instead. Not that I can't use formamide, such as in a Leukart reaction along with a catalyst (either formamide or ammonium formate can be used in a Leukart, although the formate gives MUCH better yields, it is possible to catalyze a formamide Leukart to improve the yields of  amine  from ketone or aldehyde, and adding a small proportion of ammonium formate also helps a formamide based Leukart apparently although I've never tried running it

Although in this case  I do NEED ammonium formate. Because it isn't FOR a Leukart reaction, I have other things in mind for the ammonium formate. But its nice  to know that even if I were to accidentally damage things, overheat it and have it all convert to formamide then I can still make use of the formamide. Either as-is, or by converting it perhaps to dimethylformamide, DMF is useful as a polar aprotic solvent with a very high boiling point.

I slept good last night, long and well. A lot of very vivid dreaming towards the early morning.

Offline Tequila

• Elder
  • Postwhore
« Reply #1088 on: August 14, 2018, 03:29:35 PM »
Three hours.  Not brilliant.

Offline Minister Of Silly Walks

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #1089 on: August 14, 2018, 07:09:15 PM »
Thanks Lestat. Very interesting info.

It's not something I know much about or have any significant experience with.

I didn't even realize what those sleeping pills were until much later. It was after my ex had moved back to the US and she was wondering if it would be possible to get some prescribed in the US. So I asked her to read out what was on the label and I googled it. This was back in 2002. That was the first time I realized what they were.

As far as helping a stressed-out insomniac to sleep, they were unsurpassed. Your mind would simply move onto a relaxed, pleasant state and you would drift off to sleep. That was how they worked for me anyway. Every single time.

With her unusual and unstable natural brain chemistry (bipolar, untreated) the effect was very different. She would try to stay awake as long as possible after taking half a pill and she would become giggly, trippy, playful.
“When men oppress their fellow men, the oppressor ever finds, in the character of the oppressed, a full justification for his oppression.” Frederick Douglass

Offline renaeden

• Complicated Case of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1090 on: August 14, 2018, 09:28:11 PM »
Years ago when my mum was a teenager, she was drugged up with barbiturates to treat her malignant hypertension (diastolic over 200). She spent months in hospital as doctors were afraid she would have a stroke.
Mildly Cute in a Retarded Way
Tek'ma'tae

Offline Lestat

• Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
« Reply #1091 on: August 14, 2018, 10:10:45 PM »
>200 Ren? jesus fucking christ.  Thats exploding head and skull-derived bone shrapnel hand grenade sort of territory. Damn!. I'm glad she was  alright hun. And all the more given you say, she was a teenager? meaning presumably the first hint of tiny little pink Renster baby-toes were long hence due to make their first wriggle?

You don't need to be bipolar or have unnatural or unstable brain chemistry for barbs to make you feel all relaxed, trippy, disinhibited and sort of...well....sedated, yes, but at the same full of relaxed, bubbly energetic...not exactly get up and go, but 'bang into the walls repeatedly and go nowhere, but feel pretty fucking bubbly and good doing it; but not very much else at that particular point in time'

Thats exactly what barbs are like, good ol' wallbanger type downers, most of that sort of GABAergic depressants have been shitcanned, partly due to the fact that benzos went and  got invented. Still physically addictive if misused (or rather if misused in the wrong way and for too long), but benzos won't kill you if you OD on benzos and benzos alone, not unless you REALLY push it, and even then, only some benzos have much liability to do so.

Barbs? they will not bat an eyelid about wiping someone out if they overdose. Partly due to differences in the way they gate the GABAa receptor chloride channel.

GABAa being the principle CNS receptor mediating inhibitory neurotransmission and maintaining overall inhibitory tone (glutamate being counter to GABA in being the primary excitatory neurotransmitter within our brains), the two, GABA and glutamate work both to oppose each other, counter to each other and in tandem, to allow the functions of either to play out as they should (although there is a lot more to either, they don't just regulate each other and nothing else, in fact there are very very few CNS neurotransmission flavoured pies that GABA and glutamate don't both have their sticky fingers in big time)

With the GABAa receptor, our  main CNS inhibitory receptor, its structurally a heteropentameric receptor, formed of varying ratios of GABAa receptor protein subunits, of varying different subtypes, the whole receptor consists of an arrangement of five out of a selection grab bag of these subunits, making up the different subtypes of GABAa receptor. There are always five subunits no matter what overall subtype of GABAa receptor it is, and only certain combinations come together naturally to form functional GABAa receptors. 

These subunits form a pentagonal structure overall, with a gap in the center, which with the receptor's overall structure is able to serve as an ion channel, in this case selective for passing chloride ion currrents, which, upon opening of the central ion channel in response to GABA binding to it's binding site, depending on the electrochemical potential of the cell at the time (I.e whether it is depolarized, or hyperpolarized with respect to the resting potential of the neuron), chloride ions flow through until the channel closes again, and cause the cell to be less responsive to further depolarization (E.g due to stimulation events of an excitatory nature, translated into sodium currents transmitted via voltage-gated sodium channels which depolarize the cell), when the cell is depolarized, an action potential, fires once the cell's potential rises past a certain threshold, repetitive stimuli over a short time being additive, and their being an overall minimum threshold which must be overcome, and subthreshold stimuli being summable to form, when repeated within a given time window, a large enough stimulus takes place when the subthreshold stimuli, if in total they are sufficient, take place, then the action potential fires.

GABA receptors are inhibitory, the influx of chloride ions affecting the potential of the cell in such a way that it is less likely to fire an action potential, by making the overall cell potential more negative, and thus requiring an overall greater magnitude of stimulus in order to permit the neuron to depolarize and fire an action potential. In short, activation of GABA receptors causes the cell voltage to become more negatively hyperpolarized, and thus a greater positive ion current is required to depolarize the cell and thus the cell is less likely to fire an action potential.

And this is why GABAa agonists have depressant properties, sedative, and also anticonvulsant effects, their helping to counter the raging out of control synchronous storm of useless, sustained and repetitive neuronal firing which characterizes an epileptiform seizure. As well as being one of the many mechanisms by which anxiolytic effects, by calming down excessive, overstimulated states, can be manifested.

Benzodiazepines and barbiturates recognize different binding sites at the GABAa receptor complex. When a benzodiazepine binds to it's binding site, it causes the 3D conformation of the GABAa receptor protein complex surrounding the ion channel to change shape, altering the conformation in such a way as to cause the result to have a higher affinity for GABA. Thus there more binding events of GABA binding to the GABAa receptor which also has a benzodiazepine bound to the benzodiazepine recognition allosteric binding site (an allosteric site, from the greek 'allos' 'other', is a site other than the orthosteric site, the orthosteric binding site being the primary recognition site for the native neurotransmitter, in this case, GABA itself, binds the orthosteric site, whilst all manner of things bind to different allosteric sites, benzos, barbs, neurosteroids bind to a neurosteroid regulatory site and have anaesthetic, depressant properties, as well as the Z-drugs  like zolpidem/ambien, zopiclone (lunesta IIRC) and zaleplon (I forget the brand, its fucking useless shit anyway so not worth remembering for any other reason than to know what to tell your doctor to shove up his arse if they offer it to you.

So, with causing more frequent binding of GABA due to the increased affinity benzos induce, that means more ion channel openings per given time period, and also, the reason benzos are less dangerous and less likely to kill in overdose (MUCH less likely, to the point its difficult to die from a benzo OD without complicating factors), is that the increase in GABAergic stimulation is due to more FREQUENT opening of ion channels, the body can respond to this adaptively by opting to release less GABA, and thus decrease GABAergic stimulation. The benzos themselves don't actually activate GABAa receptors, they just increase the likelihood of GABA binding to them and activating the receptor.

Barbs on the other hand, bind to a different allosteric recognition site, and when one does bind to it's site, they cause an increase in the EFFICACY of GABA, that is, each GABA binding stimulus becomes more potent, by extending the duration the chloride channel opens, allowing more chloride ion flux to pass) 

Can't remember if they increase the AFFINITY for GABA as benzos  do (affinity being how tightly the ligand, in this case GABA, binds to the receptor, you could picture it as how much 'hunger' a given ligand has for it's receptor, and once it bites (I.e binds) how forcefully one would have to pry it's mouth apart before it'll give up and bugger off (I.e dissociate from the receptor-ligand complex.

Whilst efficacy, being, as it might indeed seem, being how effective the ligand is in producing it's stimulus once it binds to the receptor. An agonist or inverse agonist by definition, having a positive efficacy, and negative efficacy respectively, whilst an antagonist (more specifically, a silent, or neutral antagonist) simply blocks the receptor, like chewing gum in a lock, and prevents other ligands binding, and by definition has is a ligand with affinity but zero efficacy.)

Anyhow, that explained, with barbs, they cause, on their binding to their allosteric recognition site at GABAa, a much greater channel opening time, and correspondingly larger chloride flux. This, the body cannot compensate for, by decreasing GABA release to cause fewer openings, or if it does then nowhere near as effectively as when decreasing GABAergic tone by releasing less GABA to cause fewer channel openings, due to with barbs, the channel open time being greater, and thus ion flux larger overall.

In addition, barbiturates have a second, non-GABAergic mode of exercising a depressant effect on the body, they do this by acting as AMPA receptor antagonists (a type of ionotropic glutamate receptor (ionotropic receptors being those which work via direct coupling to an ion channel of some nature; the counterpart being a metabotropic receptor, glutamate, the main excitatory neurotransmitter, has both ionotropic and metabotropic types. Metabotropic receptors on the other hand are coupled to intracellular metabolic  chemical cascades that do things like act on intracellular second-messenger chemical pathways eventually leading to alterations in gene transcription etc.] AMPA type ionotropic glutamate receptors [named for AMPA, the first powerful selective agonist of AMPA receptors] are perhaps THE main population of the glutamate-sensitive excitatory receptors in the brain. Sine qua non, the big set'o'cohones, so to speak.

Barbiturates also block this subtype of ionotropic glutamate receptor (the other two subsets being NMDA type (stands for N-methyl-D-aspartate, which recognize glutamate, or more weakly, aspartic acid, although NMDA receptors also require a co-agonist, the aminoacid glycine, to bind to an allosteric glycine recognition site (glutamate or aspartate both bind the orthosteric site, aspartate activates NMDA glutamate receptors more weakly than does glutamate). And lastly, the much less well understood KA receptors (short for kainate, a selective agonist for this population of ionotropic glutamate receptors, and again ionotropic receptors)

So with barbs, one has a set of GABAa agonist drugs that is  not only more difficult, on a cellular   and  receptor level for the body to compensate for excess or overdose, AND, in addition to their exerting the inhibititory, GABAergic agonist effect, they block excitatory, AMPA receptor-type glutamatergic activity. Sort of like likening the part of the nervous system that is the brain and  spinal cord likened to an amplifier, with a 'GABA'  setting, increasing it to a higher GABAergic (agonism) value damps down overall activity, system-wide and one marked 'glutamate' which does the opposite (an agonist is excitatory), the more one turns  up the glutamate dial, the more activity there is.

So by turning the glutamate dial right down  and the GABA dial right up, one is doing as much as one possibly can to mute the eventual note when the string of a plugged in guitar is plucked, turning up the 'more quiet' signal and turning down the 'more loud' signal. If that makes sense. Its a bit of a crude analogy that only shows the basic overall effect on CNS tone, but it fits. Could just as easily have likened it, I suppose to both whispering, and having the listener put ear-defenders on at the same time.

So the barbs have a real one-two punch of an effect, across both inhibitory and excitatory competing systems.

And just because they are real beefy heavyweight sonsofbitches like that, at higher end doses, barbiturates can also directly open the GABAa receptor chloride channel, in the absence of GABA binding.

Added all together, stuck in the oven and baked for half an hour and all you need do is serve with two scoops of chocolate ice cream for 'fucking staggering, bouncing off the walls shitfaced of a depressant sedative-hypnotic, anxiolytic and anticonvulsant'

Part of the reason they got pulled from the market for the vast majority of use indications, is the danger of overdose, they are as good at killing people in OD as they are at doing what it says on the tin, so to speak, in either clinical or recreational doses.

But not all, their recreational potential had a lot to do with their demise, or almost-demise too. Essentially governments going 'we can't let people have these, they will enjoy them too much'. I shit you not.

In the UK, aside from the  crappy (in recreational terms, really, really crappy, really really long acting too) phenobarbital (same as phenobarbitone,depending whether you are in the US or UK, some suffix the names with -XYZbarbital and with the other region its -XYZbarbitone, I forget which way round it is), and for surgical use by anaesthesiologists in hospital, IIRC the only one available is seconal, secobarbital, and that is on a named-patient basis, you'd have to be specially approved as a patient to receive it, and no pharmacy would stock it, they'd  have to order it specially on that basis.

Plus the chance of actually GETTING that to happen, from any doctor, for insomnia or anxiety, forget it. About as much chance of that happening, as  there is of father bloody christmas bringing me my own transnational borders-sized suite of proton/antiproton accelerator  and heavy ion accelerator suite and dedicated nuclear power plant just for me personally, and  the government to just offer me as much plutonium or uranium fuel as I feel like asking for, when I feel like asking for it. Plus the lead pigs for the fuel rods to come lined with gift-wrap and tied off with a little red satin bow.

Only reason I ever managed to try other than phenobarbital (shitty, shitty, as in actively shitty not just lackluster shitty), was that barbital itself, (as  is phenobarb IIRC but I lucked out selection wise in that respect) is used as a PH buffer in genetics/microbiology labs, and I had a contact who could  easily and safely grab about 30g with it not being missed, and offer him something he couldn't get in return. Something I thought, honestly, really shitty, phenergan, OTC here, not where he is, although its a dopamine receptor antagonist, strong sedating antihistamine as well, but essentially an antipsychotic (phenothiazine typical antipsychotic with very very very weak potency), but, he knew what it was, and I in no way deceived him,  but when he asked for that in particular I didn't refuse him either. He knew what he was  getting and how much, and seemed happy to get just that, despite my pretty much feeling like he was being massively short-changed. Almost to the point I didn't like the trade in principle because  it was so heavily weighted in my favour.

But, you can't really say its ripping somebody off if someone offers you gold bars in return for a handful of dirt, just because they happen to collect dirt samples from around the world, and they KNOW exactly what the thing they are asking for, and getting, is, can you?

Never look a gift horse in the mouth as they say, so I didn't. I sure as shit wouldn't ACCEPT the trade he did, let alone ask for it, in reverse, fuck no, not in a thousand  years of sundays would I fuck! but hey, someone offers me gold in return for yesterday's newspaper soaked in piss and spit? they can have all the piss and loogie-soaked out of date tabloid second-rate-bog-roll newspapers they want. Not my problem if some people just have strange desires. If its what they want, why not let them have it :P

Weird as hell, but people are entitled to be weird. Just as well for me they are too, what with the whole being a spazz and all.

Otherwise, I'd never have gotten to try any of the barbs, unless I were to do the work myself and make them for myself. Although I never have done it personally, I gather the synthesis isn't difficult. Wouldn't mind trying sometime, try some of the short-intermediate duration ones with a real reputation for being recreational as hell.

Its one of those things that is pretty appealing, and that I could certainly manage, but that for whatever the reason, I haven't actually gotten round to it before. And I don't know why, either. Nothing specific I can pin down as an active reason NOT to run up a batch of seconal, or amytal, only 'haven't got round to it because there are other things that want me to get round to them as well, and I only have one pair of hands'

Kinda odd really, because  even long-duration barbital was  fucking nice stuff (I do mean barbital itself here, not phenobarbital,  which  is fucking shit unless you need it for seizure control), and barbital is more or less the cheap cider next to the bum-wine and prison inmate-export pruno special brew in the local off-license, were they yet at the stage of fucking prohibition off sufficiently to serve the mind-altering things  people want in stores suited for the purpose.  But  relative to other barbiturates, that is. sedative-hypnotic-wise, it is quite outstanding, same as a recreational.  Certainly far better than any benzo I've ever had or that anyone is ever likely to invent.

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1092 on: August 14, 2018, 10:27:32 PM »
Weird thing is that after that hospital stay, Mum's blood pressure has been fine ever since. She had me and my twin at age 30.

How did I sleep?  Mollie woke me up at 5:30am wanting to go outside.
Tek'ma'tae

Offline odeon

• Webmaster
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #1093 on: August 14, 2018, 10:58:24 PM »
Not enough.

- Albert Einstein

Offline renaeden

• Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #1094 on: September 03, 2018, 08:56:21 PM »
Got up three times for the toilet. Hard to get comfortable in bed once I get back to it.
Tek'ma'tae