Start here > What is Intensity²?

The History of Intensity Squared

(1/15) > >>

Calavera:
The Beginning
It all started with Neurolands, a site made to help people on the autism spectrum get jobs. It was founded by Neuroman and McJagger with Tigerlily, Shima (hiroshima on Intensity) and hermit. They met on Wrong Planet in 2005-2006. Then one of the periodic WrongPlanet exoduses led to a huge influx of new members to the Neurolands forum and the original purpose of the forum getting swept away. Neuroman set up a system where members could request and start their own forums. Sophist's Gestalt was founded this way, and kevv729's Sockpuppet Television, and the original Intensity by McJagger, and Ramoth Harbor for Lucifer/Vivi.

There was drama over the original Intensity and whether it was too crass to be associated with a site meant to promote work opportunities for people on the spectrum. It was quite unique from other autism forums at the time in that it was meant as a place where people could learn to stand up for themselves ... or at least to fight the verbal fight. This allowed for abusive language and all sorts of posts that would've otherwise been moderated under standard forum rules. One of the posters there (said to be jman) actually made a thread asking others which Wrong Planet female members they would like to fuck. People complained. It's said that Lucifer was the one who spoke the loudest against Intensity as she didn't like the way the forum was being run.

Eventually, Intensity went down. Fortunately, McJagger managed to log in to the forum and access the admin panel only to realize that somebody/something had had the setting for disabling the forum checked. McJagger announced his findings on the Founders forum on Neurolands. However, the next time McJagger tried to access the admin panel, he couldn't anymore. Confusion arose. Accusations were made against a certain hacker group (that, for humor's sake, must not be named here) and even against a few members of Neurolands and Intensity. That said, it's still not clear what exactly happened that day. It also seems that Intensity went down a second time a while after it was set back up by Neuroman.

The events mentioned in the paragraph directly above may not chronologically be in the right order. Still working out the correct sequence.

Discussions about the fate of Intensity were made at a temporary forum someone had set up (Dunc's Drivel?). McJagger was ready to give up, and this was when it was suggested that he get his own hosting and have the site independent from Neurolands.

He did, and that was the beginning of Intensity Squared. He worked with Dunc of Dunc's Drivel - who incidentally used to work with Alex Plank at the very beginning of Wrong Planet (2004-2005?) before getting disgusted and leaving. Dunc was one of the first to have an issue with Alex as an administrator of Wrong Planet.

to be continued ...

Credits:
odeon
Callaway
Pyraxis
WolFish

McGiver:
That sounds about right.

We were labelled as the wrong side of the tracks. 
It was meant to teach others to grow a thicker skin....to stand up for themselves.
Also, I had made the correlation between as ethers and the inability to communicate according to the niceties of regular folks....the status quo.
I thought it was wrong to moderate some people because of their inabilities to communicate a point according to others standards.
 So, I created the premise of a free speech site where all people were welcome regardless of their shortcomings.
Yes, the idea of freedom in this capacity has it's shortcomings.  That is why from the very beginning we encouraged people to justify their words.  And for the community to moderate itself.  Nearly anything goes.
The most important aspect, I felt, was communal responsibility.

Pyraxis:
Yeah. There's a thread here which goes into more detail, but this was the short version.  :P

McGiver:
Auto correct changed aspbergers to as ethers.

Whoops.  I rarely give a crap about simple things like grammar, appropriate words or sentence structure.  But this correction took away from the entire meaning.

Calavera:
Ah, that project. I never forgot about it, but have tried to ignore it because it seems I was expected to do more than just compile. Maybe I should get back to it if people can put aside their own prejudices and just give me the hardcore facts for me to post.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version