Educational

Author Topic: Intensity Squared History Guide Joint Project Discussion  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Pyraxis

• Werewolf Wrangler of the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
  • aka Daria
Re: Intensity Squared History Guide Joint Project Discussion
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2011, 03:02:47 AM »
Intensity Squared is not a nation. It's an online forum.

And so far, most of the post there is from your own words.

Er, your point?

For what it's worth, I suspect that a few hundred years from now, this period, the beginning of mass global communication and the online societies that have sprung up because of it, will be seen as a cultural phenomenon with equal validity to geographically-organized historical societies.
You'll never self-actualize the subconscious canopy of stardust with that attitude.

P7PSP

« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2011, 03:12:02 AM »
If I could write a good well written book, I would. But it wouldn't be about the history of I2.

That said, your advice is sound, just not convenient much for me. What I'll do is just make sure what I submit is objective and free from bias and then post it. Best route for me for now.
Convenient? Was it convenient for John Paul Jones to yell "I have not yet begun to fight!"  :viking: rather than surrender? No! He took on the toughest Navy in the world, with considerable French :eiffel: help, and prevailed! That said, the task of writing a history of I2 is not exactly The History Of The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire. Can you have a rough draft on my desk in 3 weeks?

P7PSP

« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2011, 03:23:45 AM »

Er, your point?

For what it's worth, I suspect that a few hundred years from now, this period, the beginning of mass global communication and the online societies that have sprung up because of it, will be seen as a cultural phenomenon with equal validity to geographically-organized historical societies.
Arab Spring and Occupy Wall Street are two examples of significant events resulting, in large part, because of quick, rapidly coordinated cooperation made possible by internet communication.

Offline Calavera

• The Intellectually Deficient of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2011, 03:25:28 AM »
What I think is that I came up with a good idea and am carrying it out, expecting some coordination from as many members as possible. Not surrendering anytime soon. Only if I know it's a failure will I give up.

And why am I doing this? It's because I'm intrigued by the historical background of this forum, and I'm sure others are also, so it should be beneficial for not only me but for any member who'd like to read a general history of I2 in one thread.

Yeah, it's not the history of Rome, but I don't have all the knowledge needed to know the historical ins and outs of I2, so I can only rely on others to help me out. We can argue all day about this, or we can work together on this project and without making big deals out of every point. I think the latter is much better.

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2011, 03:28:35 AM »
There's a bond of trust in this community, that the developer(s) do not actually use their ability to go into the database and change things. As irritated as I am by Odeon enforcing his will to take out the direct accusations, he does not seem to have actually edited your history post, simply asked you to change it. Remember that this is Intensity now, not WrongPlanet, and you do not have to.

I'm giving Odeon and the other admins permission to edit that post. Your point above is basically moot.

And Odeon asking me to change something for a good reason would be the same as any other member asking me to change something in there for a valid reason.

No, my point is not moot, because what you're proposing gives favor to admins over regular members, which is against the nature of free speech.

Actually, I think I can trust the admins well enough to be even more objective than I could be. I've read more than enough of their posts to know.

Your second point also makes you the sole arbiter of what constitutes a "valid reason", and honeyboy, you are not as objective as you think.

Maybe so, but I am one sexy beast, and that is good enough for me.

P7PSP

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2011, 03:38:44 AM »
What I think is that I came up with a good idea and am carrying it out, expecting some coordination from as many members as possible. Not surrendering anytime soon. Only if I know it's a failure will I give up.

And why am I doing this? It's because I'm intrigued by the historical background of this forum, and I'm sure others are also, so it should be beneficial for not only me but for any member who'd like to read a general history of I2 in one thread.

Yeah, it's not the history of Rome, but I don't have all the knowledge needed to know the historical ins and outs of I2, so I can only rely on others to help me out. We can argue all day about this, or we can work together on this project and without making big deals out of every point. I think the latter is much better.
I was pulling your chain, a little, with the John Paul Jones reference.  :hahaha: OTOH I was serious about not encouraging admins to just play with your posts at will.

Why would you question your own ability to write a book?  ???

Offline Calavera

• Elder
  • Dedicated Postwhore
« Reply #81 on: October 17, 2011, 04:42:26 AM »
Why would you question your own ability to write a book?  ???

Writing a good book requires time and motivation and good vocabulary skills. I can write a book in a rushed manner, but expect a decade of me imprisoned somewhere on an isolated island before you can see me finish writing a book good enough to read.

I remember writing a full handwritten book for one of my brothers when we were kids. It was fully action-packed but terribly written. Too bad I can't make copies of it and it's long gone.

Offline "couldbecousin"

• Invincible Heisenweeble of the Aspie Elite
  • Elder
  • Postwhore Beyond Teh Stupid
  • You're goddamn right.
« Reply #82 on: October 17, 2011, 05:39:19 AM »

Er, your point?

Arab Spring and Occupy Wall Street are two examples of significant events resulting, in large part, because of quick, rapidly coordinated cooperation made possible by internet communication.

Also that Weeble flash mob, with the lot of us wobbling in front of the White House!

:cbc: :cbc: :cbc: :cbc: :cbc: :cbc: :cbc:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 05:41:25 AM by couldbecousin »
"I'm finding a lot of things funny lately, but I don't think they are."
--- Ripley, Alien Resurrection

"We are grateful for the time we have been given."
--- Edward Walker, The Village

People forget.
--- The Who, "Eminence Front"

Offline ProfessorFarnsworth

• Mad scientist at work
  • Elder
  • Obsessive Postwhore
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #83 on: October 17, 2011, 07:27:36 AM »

Er, your point?

And it's no wonder why the governments are trying to impose new censorship laws and kill switches on it too. The internet is the biggest threat to their control.
Existence actually has two broad meanings despite its apparent meaningless. The constant reconciliation of all its parts, and the conservation of any closed system as a whole.

Morality can be extrapolated from these meanings to make these two commandments of godless morality: 1). Be in harmony with one another and 2). Care for the environment.

P7PSP

« Reply #84 on: October 17, 2011, 11:49:36 AM »

Er, your point?

Also that Weeble flash mob, with the lot of us wobbling in front of the White House!

:cbc: :cbc: :cbc: :cbc: :cbc: :cbc: :cbc:
I don't even want to think about that one. :hide:

And it's no wonder why the governments are trying to impose new censorship laws and kill switches on it too. The internet is the biggest threat to their control.
:agreed:

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2011, 03:47:03 PM »
Why is it objective to leave in the bit about what Dunc thought about Alex but not the bits about who was accused of hacking Intensity?

Not that I think I stand a shot in an objectivity contest against either of you. And Sir Les is conspicuously silent. But what the hey, I'm not going to be edited here.  :zoinks:

What Dunc thought about Alex is a matter of record. Who hacked Intensity isn't. Either back up your shit or shut up, Pyraxis.

Edit: I just realised that I'm playing into your strawman, right here. You'll have to prove it was hacked to begin with, don't you?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 03:55:30 PM by odeon »
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline odeon

• Witchlet of the Aspie Elite
  • Webmaster
  • Postwhore Beyond Repair
  • Replacement Despot
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2011, 03:52:55 PM »

Er, your point?

Er, *your* point?

For what it's worth, it is only your words. You insinuate you know more, you say that Nman advised you on this, but you don't have proof. You never did but this is not the first time you went after Lucifer. If you had actually had any you would have shown it a long time ago.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

Offline Callaway

• Official Spokesperson for the Aspie Elite
  • Caretaker Admin
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2011, 04:47:43 PM »

Er, your point?

Er, *your* point?

For what it's worth, it is only your words. You insinuate you know more, you say that Nman advised you on this, but you don't have proof. You never did but this is not the first time you went after Lucifer. If you had actually had any you would have shown it a long time ago.

If we are just talking about accusations without proof, McJagger thought that Intensity wasn't really hacked at all, he thought that Neuroman just deleted Jman's infamous thread and turned off the site.  McJagger accessed Intensity through a PM link, although he could only access the admin panel at first.  He saw that Intensity's board had been turned off, so he turned it back on again.  He spent five minutes or so looking around and saw that everything was fine with the site except Jman's thread, which had been deleted.  Then, since he still thought at that time that the site had been hacked and worrying that his personal computer might be vulnerable, he turned off Intensity's board again and logged off.  Then he posted about what he had found out in the founders forum on the Neurolands. Within twelve hours his ability to access the site at all was removed.

Offline Adam

• Elder
  • Almighty Postwhore
« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »
I'm not sure what happened here, but I'm sure Callaway did it :M

midlifeaspie

« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2011, 05:09:25 PM »
I'm not sure what happened here, but I'm sure Callaway did it :M

I did it.  I am ButtChairCoffeePlankenstein